CW3: Abraxis - savefile transfer

Started by 12345ieee, May 22, 2014, 03:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12345ieee

Following Virgil's announcement of the release on Kongregate I went there to check it out (and rate 5 stars, obiouvsly) and I found that my savegame from the preview here at KC didn't carry over.
So I went on and transferred the savefile myself, in the spoiler tag there are the instructions (Windows 7, you can easily port it to every OS).

DISCLAIMER: This will not submit your map scores to Kongregate's score table, but will carry over your unlocked maps, your saves and your custom hotkeys, much better than nothing.
DISCLAIMER #2: I don't know if Virgil intented us to be able to do this, if we weren't let me know and I'll delete this (or a mod can do it if needed).

File transfer

1) Go to %appdata%\Unity\WebPlayerPrefs (or C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Unity\WebPlayerPrefs)
2) Here you'll find a folder named knucklecracker_2ecom, in this folder is located your KC savefile, named
   "prefcreeperworld3-8374e-cw3a-web_2ephp.upp", copy this file somewhere else.
3) Now go on Kongregate (if you already haven't) and play the game here, you just need minimal action, probably opening it is already enough, to be sure it leaves a savefile in your machine, then close the game and don't reopen it until you are done.
4) Then go into the folder chat_2ekongregate_2ecom, this is the folder that contains all your savefiles for unity games on Kongregate, find the file last modified, that is CW3:A savefile (mine was called prefgamez-0020-9285-live-web_2eunity3d.upp)
5) Delete this file (or move it) and replace it with the file we got from the other folder.
6) Change the name of the file, so it matches the Kongregate one.
7) Open the game page on Kongregate, now your savefile should have been transfered.
8 ) Enjoy.
[close]

EDIT: Bonus image, representing what a group of devoted fans can do (for a little amount at time, though):
Spoiler
[close]

knucracker

Yep... looks good.  It's cool if anyone wants to backup or transfer their save info like that.  It can be a good idea to backup that file anyway in case your browser or other system cleaning software wipes it out, etc.

Flabort

Saves transferred, 5/5 rating, Favorited.  ;D
Work done. Play starts.
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

exostum

- Save transfered.
- 5/5 rating
- Favorited
- Shared on my facebook/twitter
- Posted a comment on Kongregate game page.

Did I  forget something ?

;D ;D
My Work in progress Maps (On hold for now)

Karsten75

Jacobkolstad

Yay! So I can transfer my savefile...
(CW3 beat BTD5!)

12345ieee

Some more thoughts on CW3:A, I'm sorry in advance for my poor english:

1) Being able to transfer your savefile is great, but now I'll really enjoy a "Submit all scores to Kong" button, or, even better, the game itself could submit them all when it's opened. Redundancy in submitting scores will also help a lot when the game will get badges, to avoid that every player that has connection issues at the end of a map cannot get an eventually associated badge and file an unnecessary bug report.

2) Unity Web Player works on Linux (via pipelight), it's just a little trickier to install than the average plug-in.
Here http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-installation.html there are instructions for all the major distributions, you may want to have a look and write about this possibility in the game instructions (getting a comment about this on top now is nearly impossible, since it'd have to rack ~200 upvotes).
I installed it and I say the game works perfectly except for the score panel (see below), really nothing that ruins the gameplay.

Glitched score table
[close]

3) Speaking about Linux users, that risk to be unable to play the maps if they can't make this work, would it be possible to have the maps on the browser game put into the main desktop game? Like in a alpha sector's system.
I'd be really happy to have all the maps in the same place, there will be much less risk of my savefile being wiped out by mistake and I'm pretty sure a lot of mapmakers are eager to look into the cprl used in some maps.

Michionlion

Quote from: 12345ieee on May 23, 2014, 02:43:39 PM
3) Speaking about Linux users, that risk to be unable to play the maps if they can't make this work, would it be possible to have the maps on the browser game put into the main desktop game? Like in a alpha sector's system.
I'd be really happy to have all the maps in the same place, there will be much less risk of my savefile being wiped out by mistake and I'm pretty sure a lot of mapmakers are eager to look into the cprl used in some maps.

That right there is a good idea - slot it in in the Alpha Sector somewhere.  I would totally advocate that.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!