Tagging maps in Colonial Space

Started by Grauniad, December 23, 2013, 10:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

It is possible to use unique "tags" in the text descriptions of maps.

So if an author wants to tag a series of maps they can all have the same "hashtag", for Instance "#ConquestSeries" and then other players can filter by that hashtag.

Also possible is closer identification of maps by characteristics. eg.  #Series, #hard, #small, #puzzle, #CRPL, #noCRPL, etc. are all a few of the off-the-cuff ideas.

For those of you that have already uploaded map series, after Christmas I'm sure Virgil would not mind adding the necessary hashtags to your maps.

Also, I'm thinking that there is room for innovation in that area and we may see how this idea takes off.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

ThirdParty

I've uploaded my backlog of maps, using the following tags:

#Digitalis / #NoDigitalis = Indicates whether a digitalis threat is present.
#Spores / #NoSpores = Indicates whether a threat from spores is present.
#TechLimits / #NoTechLimits = Indicates whether the map significantly restricts the player's technology.  If it does, I also tag specific examples such as #NoBerthas or #NoTerps.
#CRPL = Indicates that the map includes special scripting.
#Puzzle = Indicates that the map's main challenge lies in figuring out what to do, rather than doing it.
#RealWorld = Indicates that a map is based on a real location rather than on fictional geography.  I've also used more specific tags such as #Asia.

Michionlion

In my more recent maps, I've included tags (much as TP said) such as the following:

#Digitalis - #noDigitalis
#CRPL - #noCRPL
#Islands - indicating that the map is comprised of many 'islands' of terrain.
#Void - indicating that void comprises a significant portion of the map.
#Alpha - indicating that the map was updated to it's present state from the Alpha Sector.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Clean0nion

More tags moved over from the less successful Colonial Space #description_tags topic

USEFUL INFORMATION
#Digitalis
#NoDigitalis
#Spores
#NoSpores
#CRPL
#NoCRPL
#CustomEnemy
#Sounds or #CustomSounds
#NoSounds or #Silent

GENRES
#puzzle
#survival
#void
#CW1
#CW2

FORMAT
#islands
#landmass

DERIVATIVES
#CannotGuaranteeSporeFree

CLAIMED
#Jmaps (J only)
#NinjaMaps (Ninjadude501 only)
#3P (ThirdParty only)
#Costarella (Clean0nion only)

MadMag

#MadMag      = Me
#EasterEgg   = Will definitly have one, if not posted as a tag, there might be one.. search..
#Detail         = Special graphics on units and terrain

Relli

If the map requires a shield key, a tag to reflect that. Something like

#RequiresShieldKey: (Map name or number)

It should probably also be up front in the description so people can tell at a glance, and without reading the entire map description first. I can envision spoilers for a map series like ETG being there, so it's good to make it a bit harder to find those by accident. Incidentally:

#Series: Map 3

teknotiss

#teks = me  ::)
#ACassist = either AC helping you for free, or assisting AC in winning (ie powering pyramids)
#firepower = lots of PZ's either available at the start or as you go along, generally means it's a dense creeper map
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

burguertime

I said this in another thread, but here goes:

We need a way to upvote / downvote / add hashtags to maps. This way the tag system would be more democratic, the tags would gain relevance, and there would be a uniformity of tags to use.
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

teknotiss

Quote from: burguertime on February 17, 2014, 05:29:57 PM
I said this in another thread, but here goes:

We need a way to upvote / downvote / add hashtags to maps. This way the tag system would be more democratic, the tags would gain relevance, and there would be a uniformity of tags to use.

seconded!
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

planetfall

Thirded.

Also the ability to click on a tag and see all maps with that tag, like with the author field.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

Annonymus

I'm not so convinced about the up/down vote but I have to agree about being able to add tags on maps, however this gives a great occasion for trolls who would add usless/wrong hastags to every map which would then need to be removed by mods... Or if normal users could also remove tags the trolls would remove all tags on the maps...
If a topic started by me is in the wrong place feel free to move it at anytime.

J

On kongregate You can also voet for and add new tags. Tag score=upvotes-downvotes. Only the best 3-5 tags are shown. For CS it it probably better to allow up to 10 tags per map and all tags with a score of at least 5 when searching for tags. (all tags are kept, but only best 10 shown outside tag voting)

Clean0nion

What if I'm looking for a very specific tag? For example, most/all of my maps so far are tagged with #Costarella. If that tag isn't voted enough then my maps won't appear in that search.
Unless I'm horribly misinterpreting this, which is likely.

Grayzzur

I would think any such system should augment, not override, the author's description hashtags. Author's list + 5 community tags, perhaps.

Do we really gain much with such a system though? How may good map markers are not tagging their maps in a useful way?
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Annonymus

Rather than the 5 best I would choose to have all tags over a certain rating because there may be many tags to indicate the same thing, for example #digi #digitalis #hasdigitalis and so on, if I search for #digitalis but those in the top 5 are #digi(9.8/10) #crpl(9.6/10) #spores(9.3/10) #void(8.9/10) and #series(8.4/10) even if #digitalis is voted 7.6/10 I won't find the map because I searched for #digitalis instead of #digi.

I do think it's necessary because
a) There are some authors who don't use hashtags
b) Someone may place #digi on his map but not #digitalis, so I wont find his map if i search for #digitalis
c) An author may not use all the hashtags available, for example there could be an author who made a map consisting of some islands in a sea of creeper, similar to 3p's hawaii, but he only uses the #CRPL #digitalis #runners hashtags without using #islands and #nospores so if I search for #islands or #nospores I don't find his map.
If a topic started by me is in the wrong place feel free to move it at anytime.