Wierd fps drop.

Started by LittleRedEye, December 07, 2013, 01:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleRedEye

GPU load never exceeds 30%, CPU is 11% on average with 50% max on single thread, even on heavy load of creeper on map, yet when i go to x4 speed fps drops to about 20 even less sometimes. I would understand if thread usage went up to 100% or smth but its not the case. Any idea why its happening?

J

CW3 can only use up to one core, so if you have 4 cores, CW3 will never exceed 25%

Grauniad

If you have any modern processor you have two or more cores. In that case most games I know of cannot utilize more than a single thread and when they're maxing out the CPU they show 50% for a dual-core, 25% for a quad-core, etc.

It seems you're maxed out on CPU and can't get to the required frame rate to deliver the 4x speed you're requiring.

And yes, CW3 is light on GPUs - Virgil took great care to optimize the load so even low-end graphics machines can still play the game productively.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

LittleRedEye

Yes, but if you read carefully you will notice i talked about threads not cores. I have 4 cores, 8 threads and i noticed it only uses 1 at a time but i goes to 50% max :( Well maybe it goes 100% but switches threads so fast that HWiNFO doesnt refresh in time. Sad panda though :(

Yes, after increasing refresh speed it shows that threads go to 100% before swapping :( Sorry to bother.

Grauniad

Quote from: LittleRedEye on December 07, 2013, 02:24:39 PM
Yes, but if you read carefully

On most Internet boards, the onus is on you as the writer, as much as on us the readers, to write carefully and provide substantiating information. :)  You'd be surprised how badly people use terminology and until we know how well you use it, we may misinterpret short descriptions.

Also you have a i7 with Hyper-threading?  Few if any applications other than video and graphics editing (and of course benchmarks!) benefit from hyper-threading.  Within the "normal" range of Intel processors, the i5 is by far the best gaming CPU out there if you look at single-thread performance. As I said before, you may in fact see a (very) slight performance benefit if you turn Hyperthreading off, since you then do away with the thread switching when there are available cores to do the work without the overhead of switching and hyperthreading. :)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

LittleRedEye

I have i7 but i turned HP off. Only usefull when i render and its not time stressed for me. Guess only other way would be to turn 3 cores off so Turbo Boost could go to max multiplier but i CBA to do that ;p

Ninointeli

Meh I don't lag much with CW3
The only thing that starts the lag in my game is when I moving a bunch of units at once...
"Reach for the stars!,And if you don't grab them at least your top of the world!"