Custom Map #1759: UnKnown3-1. By: MMRB

Started by AutoPost, August 18, 2021, 07:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1759: UnKnown3-1

Author: MMRB
Size: 320x320

Desc:
Save our Progenior. And attack Enemy's Progenior.

Johnny Haywire

Wow, this map is a very pleasant surprise, especially considering the low ratings! Excellent work, MMRB!

1) You might be afraid that it's insanely difficult, but it's not. It's definitely on the higher-difficulty level, but probably only an 8 out of 10 difficulty
2) You might be worried that it's just a junky map, and that why the ratings are so low... but it's actually very well-designed.
3) It's a relatively recent map, so there's hope there might be more like this  ;)

If you're struggling with this map, my best advice would be to play at least 200 other maps of varying difficulty first to help develop your understanding of the game. If you're still struggling after that maybe just skip the map and not worry about it - life is much more important than being able to achieve every mental feat on earth.  :P

To me, it seemed obvious to quickly take over one of the enemy's defensive blocks. I chose the one on the far left, which made it possible to easily take out two ship production nodes in addition to acquiring an advantageous position for picking off ships as they were produced. If you're struggling with the map and haven't tried this approach, please just slap your forehead and give a Homer Simpson "DOH!" and ask your therapist, life coach, or local mob boss why you didn't think of this.   ???

Thanks for the map!  ;D ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

toolforger

Still... a cannon that simply cuts through a Varro like a hot knife through butter, losing Varros just randomly... it's really not fun.

Also, shortcutting enemy ship production is pretty difficult if pretty strong particles are shielding most shots.

Plus, just disabling the bottom outpost is much easier said than done. This thing has a huge supply of shots, so just waiting until it runs out is not an option, and juggling gaps in shots, particles, and ships with insane fire rates until you can slip through the omnis requires both patience and luck, and you run out of one of them while it's still firing.
Yeah you can let it fire for a while, go away far enough, then return while it's recharging - but that requires knowing the cannon's cooldown, come back too quickly and encounter the next barrage of shots, come back too late and it alreay recharged. This can be frustating.

I got to the final assault, but seeing the fleet fall to a random insane monster cannon shot or an equally insane high-frequency cannon ship, so you just have to rebuild because that cannon ship is just too fast to get your fleet away in time.. then seeing your fleet stuck in plasma that you can't remove because the few anti-plasma guns will always prioritize incoming missiles, of which there's no shortage... it's  just too many problems to solve at once.
I'm sure they can be solved, but it requires too much luck, too much studying the enemy's movement patterns, too many unavoidable full fleet wipes, that you lose all sense of progress and get more and more frustrated.

Those low ratings are well-deserved IMHO - not because the map is technically badly designed, but because it's too easy to get into a frustration loop.