Map editor issues after 3 hours of fiddling with it

Started by jaworeq, September 15, 2016, 04:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planetfall

Quote from: jaworeq on September 16, 2016, 11:31:14 AM
One more thing we just stumbled upon. With custom ships - and their custom names, you never really know what you're building.
Proposed solution would be some kind of preview...I was thinking before the mission, but if you get 20 custom names, you'll never remember them. So maybe when placing a ship to build have it greyed out under mouse?
A mouse over preview is planned for post-release.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

Killer007lite

I think i have found a pretty weird bug with the emitters:

I was making a map in the editor and i was changing a few settings with one of the emitters, when i tested the emitter to see what would happen, some particle worked but some - not quite, screenshot attached with settings (I can't show what it does, test the emitter settings though and you should get it)

UPDATE -  I loaded a new map and copied the emitter into it, and, well, take a look at it after some runtime

knucracker

It's because of the bond stiffness setting.  Normally you want to stick in the range of 0.001 to 1.  Values higher than 1 produce 'effects'.  You can get away with a value up to 2 before particles start teleporting all over the place (at least in my experience).

I decided not to clip the value but let people play with it if they wanted.  For all I know something exotic happens are some special value and in some special geometric configuration.

Sorrontis

wait a second virgil. Usually you're all technical and stuff.  ;D I assumed you had some kind of model  like atomic bonding or something to work from.  :P
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

TheWife

I was just trying to make a fun map that requires me to have some emitters on land. The particles should just go off it, so I've been using an option called "Particles over mired land". However, saving the map either unchecks this box or swaps it with "Allow struc creation". In every case it ends up inactive.  :'(

Karsten75

Quote from: TheWife on September 16, 2016, 05:41:03 PM
I was just trying to make a fun map that requires me to have some emitters on land. The particles should just go off it, so I've been using an option called "Particles over mired land". However, saving the map either unchecks this box or swaps it with "Allow struc creation". In every case it ends up inactive.  :'(

Best thing you can do is to upload a copy of the saved map here. Virgil can then look at that and see if he can replicate the issue. THat will be very helpful and much appreciated.

TheWife

knucracker

Yeah, it was cross wired in the UI.  Simple error and fix.  Fortunately, it actually worked right after I hooked up the UI properly.  You can do a neat thing with putting emitters on land.  They will mire the land until it is totally mired, then the particles will all start flying out.

TheWife

Whee, that'll be lovely when it goes live, then. :) Thank you! ^^