Possible to make impossible maps

Started by NFITC1, October 17, 2013, 12:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NFITC1

I was scrwng messing/experimenting with the DMD and it gave me a map with one air excluder on a tiny island with no way to build an emitter upon. If it were anything other than an excluder it would be possible, but I don't see how it could work otherwise. I've been trying to upload it to the Online Maps and either let rage ensue or clever people posting times, but I can't figure out how.

Just thought I'd share.

Language (is( an issue -G.

Grauniad

It is entirely possible to create maps that cannot possibly be won. And no, you can't upload them per se. You can, if you choose copy and paste the map code that appears on the right. There are even buttons for that purpose. :)

If you post that code here (hopefully between spoiler or code tags), then  others can load it to experiment.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Grauniad

Quote from: Grauniad on October 17, 2013, 01:05:41 PM
It is entirely possible to create maps that cannot possibly be won. And no, you can't upload them per se. You can, if you choose copy and paste the map code that appears on the right. There are even buttons for that purpose. :)

If you post that code here (hopefully between spoiler or code tags), then  others can load it to experiment.

Edit. Oh, and the word choice thing, unless there is an actual screwdriver involved, that word offends some people. :)

cooperbe

I ran into this as well the other night.  I didn't think of it at the time, but on some islands, it would be possible to move the CN onto the island and build a network/nullifier that way.

On a different note, I had a map that only had 2 locations that I could place a CN at the start...both hugging emitters.  (This was without a landing pad.)

NFITC1

It doesn't surprise me that it's possible to make, really. The DMD seems to have several googol worth of non-scripted map combinations so it's possible that some of them would cause problems.

Quote from: Grauniad on October 17, 2013, 01:05:41 PM

I can't find the code anymore. I made a project and finalized it, but can't find the code to paste now. How does it end up in the online list anyway? Does the game parse through the forums looking for codes?

Quote from: Grauniad on October 17, 2013, 01:06:41 PM
Edit. Oh, and the word choice thing, unless there is an actual screwdriver involved, that word offends some people. :)

Different forums, different cultures. Sorry. I'll try to be more mindful here.

Grauniad

Quote from: NFITC1 on October 17, 2013, 03:28:58 PM
I can't find the code anymore. I made a project and finalized it, but can't find the code to paste now. How does it end up in the online list anyway? Does the game parse through the forums looking for codes?

At the top of the DMD map page is a list of tabs. under the "My Played list", look for maps with "---" instead of a name.

Those are ones you generated and started, but did not submit a score for. Clicking on it will reload the code on the right pf the list.

MizInIA

Quote from: NFITC1 on October 17, 2013, 03:28:58 PM
How does it end up in the online list anyway? Does the game parse through the forums looking for codes?

when you complete a map you have to option of naming it. so you will not find a named map that cannot be completed.

NFITC1

Quote from: Grauniad on October 17, 2013, 04:21:11 PM
At the top of the DMD map page is a list of tabs. under the "My Played list", look for maps with "---" instead of a name.
Those are ones you generated and started, but did not submit a score for. Clicking on it will reload the code on the right pf the list.

Quote from: MizInIA on October 17, 2013, 04:53:45 PM
when you complete a map you have to option of naming it. so you will not find a named map that cannot be completed.

Ahh. I see. I'm sure all this info is well documented somewhere.

Here's the code:
BQDTUNk5RxaSA45ttRmiAHkAAoIDzgBwMmYMAAAgARAoAAgQ4AKoIBBjBAAAYBBwJaDiAgMtk6AEAAbgAEADAEDFwrVl4IBhp+aH7r8YYEAIAAsgPIBKIOnpJ8oSQBMgQKKCFsArzg/AAoAYAD7A/////////////////////////////////////////38AwP8/AMAAwAAAAIAAABkAAAAAGQAAAAAZAABAAgA=

MizInIA

yep that one seems impossible to me also. If you like the terrain layout you can tweak the enemy settings to get rid of the air exclusion tower and add an emitter or something... or you can tweak the terrain by adding a ridge or something so you can get to the island and take out the air exclusion tower. I have ran into impossible maps also. it is just one of the hazards of random seeds. if you serch the forums you will see that there were impossible maps in CW2 also. the difference is now we can modify what we get from the I feel Crazy button to get a playable map. ;D