Custom Map #6833: CSM-69 SEMICONDUCTOR STARGATES. By: yum234

Started by AutoPost, December 03, 2018, 08:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #6833: CSM-69 SEMICONDUCTOR STARGATES

Author: yum234
Size: 144x144

Desc:
One more attempt to use in map Semiconductor type of Stargates which was created long time ago by Cornucanis. Color gates with white ring in center permit to pass into this color gates system only anti-creeper. But output of creeper or anti-creeper the same from all gates of the same color. #BravoCornucanis #BravoKajacx #BravoVirgil #GoodLuck

Twi

Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

Loren Pechtel

I was approaching the halfway point and the resistance just collapsed, I took the rest of the map without doing anything.

Altren

I liked how it started, but after capturing about 1/3 of the map game quickly finished without my interaction :( I wasn't using anything other than single SB, so this is not some kind of tricky playthrough.

yum-forum

Yes! Gameplay was designed so.
Like "chain reaction" in stargate system.  :D
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

Twi

I for one found the effect fairly enjoyable, if a little hard to keep up with. Felt like a good reward for fighting through the fairly challenging beginning.
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

toolforger

I still don't understand the semiconductor (actually diode) stargates.
Seems like AC and creep still pass through, though at reduced rates or reduced maximums.

yum-forum

I also don't understand all details but for me it was interesting to create something unusual...  :)
last

cornucanis

Quote from: toolforger on December 04, 2018, 04:42:22 AM
I still don't understand the semiconductor (actually diode) stargates.
Seems like AC and creep still pass through, though at reduced rates or reduced maximums.

When I developed these quite a while back, yum requested that the portals always be able to receive creeper/AC, but only transmit it if they meet the activation requirement. For example if you have a white-centered portal with AC under it, then it will be able to both receive and transmit creeper/AC. If you have a white-centered portal with creeper under it, though, it will receive but not transmit creeper.

It's pretty difficult to create a system which satisfies those requirements and still maintains the other flexibilities of the stargates. My first implementation was a little off on the math and would spontaneously create creeper from nothing under certain conditions, which is obviously a very bad thing so I quickly fixed it.

It now works as intended, but there are some extra consequences which were not intended. The portals should indeed be able to receive but not transmit now when they don't meet the conduction requirement. The most noticeable consequence of this occurs when you have portals which don't meet their requirement connected with portals which do or portals which have no requirement. In this map, you can see this with the red portals easily since you have white-centered inactive portals connected to standard red portals at the beginning. The standard portals will continually transmit their creeper to all other portals, including the white-centered ones (as intended.) The problem is that the white-centered portals will never be able to transmit that creeper back, so it creates an indefinite one-way imbalance.

If anyone has any ideas on how this sort of conflict could be resolved without interfering with the spirit of yum's original request I'm all ears, but I'm not sure it's possible to reconcile the two. I honestly had assumed these "semi-conductor stargates" had been thrown in the graveyard long ago, because yum stopped using them when people responded very negatively to our introduction of them. I even made the stargate blocker occupy the same center space of the portal which was previously used to indicate the conductivity of a stargate because I thought yum didn't plan to use that mechanic any more  :-[

yum-forum

Thanks for detail explanation.
I don't plan to use that mechanic any more. Because there are so many other possible interesting features...  :D
last

Builder17

Hmm, I wonder if blocker could change image color based on where it lands into...

But would be usual color when it's in standard portal? Going to try that soon.

cornucanis

Quote from: Builder17 on December 05, 2018, 05:13:09 AM
Hmm, I wonder if blocker could change image color based on where it lands into...

But would be usual color when it's in standard portal? Going to try that soon.

Yes, it easily could. As I said, the only reason I made them occupy the same spot is because I thought the conductivity mechanic wasn't being used any more.

yum-forum

New video on YouTube from BRNK:

TKB video:

last

yum-forum

last

yum-forum

last