CW3 paused & minimized game = black window on return? Must force quit.

Started by DetroitRuckCity, November 11, 2013, 03:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DetroitRuckCity

If I pause a game and walk away for more than a few minutes to do something else, my monitor goes to sleep as it should.

When I return and wake my monitor, the CW3 window is completely black and does not respond to any commands.
This forces me to use Windows Task Manager to force quit the game and restart.  Losing my game progress.

I now know this will happen every time so I have to be sure to save my game progress before walking away form the PC.

Does anyone else have this issue or any possible solutions?

Thanks.

Grauniad

Do you play in Full screen or window? When last did you upgrade your graphics drivers?
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

DetroitRuckCity

- Medium sized window for gameplay.
- Graphics and display drivers up to date.

Grauniad

OK, I should have asked more questions. What OS are you using (including version) and what is your graphics type?

Also next time it happens, look in this folder and attach  the log.txt file to a response here.

%appdata%\CreeperWorld3\

DetroitRuckCity

- Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
- AMD Dual Core A4-3420
- 4GB RAM
- AMD Radeon HD 6410D

Will post the log.txt on next freeze.

Thanks!

Grauniad

Hmm... since this is not a problem that I recall being reported before, though I have a dim and distant memory of suffering similar fates on other games on other computers, I did a bit of a search.

It would seem that it may be an issue with some power management drivers not doing the exact right thing to wake up components after a step-down sequence through various power saving states.

Not that that is of much help or comfort to you. :(

DetroitRuckCity

Quote from: Grauniad on November 11, 2013, 03:26:38 PM
Also next time it happens, look in this folder and attach  the log.txt file to a response here.

%appdata%\CreeperWorld3\

Grauniad,
I am unable to find this directory.
The nearest match is ProgramFiles\KnuckleCracker\CreeperWorld3\CW3_data and there is no log.txt at that location.

Grayzzur

%APPDATA% is a special folder in your user directory, hidden by default.

If you open an explorer window and literally type %APPDATA% into the address bar and press enter, it should pull the directory up for you. In Windows 7, the full path is usually something like C:\Users\<<your user name>>\AppData\Roaming.

You'll find the CreeperWorld3 folder in there.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Wally

Quote from: Grauniad on November 11, 2013, 03:46:58 PM
Hmm... since this is not a problem that I recall being reported before, though I have a dim and distant memory of suffering similar fates on other games on other computers, I did a bit of a search.

It would seem that it may be an issue with some power management drivers not doing the exact right thing to wake up components after a step-down sequence through various power saving states.

Not that that is of much help or comfort to you. :(
I reported this problem before, and had no answer at this time. Next time it happens (it happens a lot), I will check the fils you mentioned and post them.
I'm playing in windowed mode, on Windows 7 Pro 64bits, Intel i7 processor, 8 Go RAM, SSD disk. I'll check the graphic card at home.
Wally