Custom Map #1810: The Ruins (PAC). By: Ranger Von Danger

Started by AutoPost, June 26, 2021, 06:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1810: The Ruins (PAC)

Author: Ranger Von Danger
Size: 320x200

GadgetBoy

*frowns* Your maps are all over the place, I don't get it. This one felt quite balanced.

ButterySkank

This was a lot of fun, thank you for all the time you spend making your maps, I know it must not be easy.

Shatterstep

This has to be your best map yet.

• Good pacing
  • Pretty geography that still works with game play
  • Forgiving game play - this map should be enjoyable to all skill levels, though I'm not sure I'm the best judge on that given my mistakes on my last 2 maps.
  • Clever layout - line of sight for sweepers and other units
  • Terps to reveal sweepers - I'm going to have to use this sometime on my maps
The airships weren't too bad. You almost need them for PAC maps because the field generator is so freaking powerful. It would have been nice if there was a way to kill them.

I thought the challenge level was quite good. I would nominate this as a map belonging in the PAC showcase set of maps. Pity we don't have such a thing.

Ranger Von Danger

Quote from: GadgetBoy on June 26, 2021, 08:40:08 PM
*frowns* Your maps are all over the place, I don't get it. This one felt quite balanced.

not sure I follow. You mean a lot going on?

Ranger Von Danger

Quote from: ButterySkank on June 26, 2021, 09:04:38 PM
This was a lot of fun, thank you for all the time you spend making your maps, I know it must not be easy.

Thank you, I do put a fair amount of time into some of them. This one in particular spent  a lot of time in the oven and I'm still not sure I got it exactly as intended haha

Vyce223

Big fan, Relatively balanced if a bit easy. Nothing it felt like it was too hard. had a bit of a stall near the end but was the only time I stopped making continual progress and lets be honest it was probably my fault I wasn't exactly tryharding.

CyberDyneSystems

This was a great map! Really enjoyed it. All the superlatives said, yes, but more, this was UNIQUE. The entire plan with the sweepers,. this was a "Guns of Navarogne" mission, where you must take out those guns or you lose the war, and it really played out great. The fort and tera levels were so well designed for this buzzsaw defense of the sweepers,.
Huge Thumbs Up!

Yamioni

Maybe I missed something (probably, considering my time was significantly longer than most...) but this felt imbalanced to me... Taking the "valley" was easy. Too easy. Taking the hill was a nightmare.

Those two sweep lasers at the top gave me the most trouble. The top right isn't awful once you figure out you can swamp it with crimson (which didn't work the first time I tried, for some reason...) but the top left only fell close to the end once I was finally able to cut off its resources.

Both of them kept me "trimmed" for a prolonged period, and made taking the base take twice as long as taking the valley (about 40 versus about 20 minutes.)

Still far more fun than most PAC maps, I just wish the strategy for taking the hill was a little more obvious.

westyx

The first time I tried this I didn't know what I was doing, and gave up in an hour.

I went and played a number of other maps with the same units and worked them out, then came back to this. The last two lasers were a bit of a grind, but it was really enjoyable (and I think I know of a way to ignore them too).