Custom Map #1575: FOXX Tower Defence 1N. By: FOXX

Started by AutoPost, September 20, 2020, 03:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1575: FOXX Tower Defence 1N

Author: FOXX
Size: 298x215

Desc:
My 1st take on a PF Tower Defence map. Inspired by PF Map 1018 by Vector Defence inc. This map is similar to the original map and has 2 versions - This is the nomal/hard version. #Thanks to Alche for idea and info.

FOXX

The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

WithersChat

There is no signature!

FOXX

Quote from: WithersChat on September 24, 2020, 10:45:11 AM
Wait, there is a mine missing?
You spotted that good WithersChat.
Reason is when testing that mine there wouldn't overmire for reasons i didn't figure out so i left that mine out.
(mine was setup like the other mines and had land connection)

Greets,
FOXX
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

toolforger

I must be missing something. I build the lathe, a block, and a laser, but I get overwhelmed when the third spawner activates.
And I see no way to build the lathe at the top and get it into its action area - I might be able to kill the first spawner and maybe even a second one if I'm careful to concentrate the lathe fire, but then the spawner will have to refuel - and it won't make it through the now-active third/fourth emitter's output; I'd need an almost-perfect defense at the first meander, and the energy is a bit scarce.

Missiles tend to never catch up, so I guess it's lasers or canons, so guess I'm left with the choice between cannons ad lasers.
Except I don't know which of the two is more energy-efficient.

Now I like the concept enough that I'd like to experiment, but ultra-slow build speed and movement make it more of a waiting game, and it's really taking out a lot of fun out of the experimentation process.
So I'm wondering what I should try next..

UPDATE: Found that blocks will carry me through the first phase, but it seems that the particle buildup is faster than the energy gain - in the end, I still get overrun. I could try different compositions in the hope of finding one that's more energy efficient, and maybe micro-optimize the lathing speed a bit more, but each omission and mistake is going to take an even longer wait time until I get past whatever phase I fail at, so I'm quitting anyway.

FOXX

Quote from: toolforger on September 28, 2020, 05:19:16 PM
I must be missing something. I build the lathe, a block, and a laser, but I get overwhelmed when the third spawner activates.
And I see no way to build the lathe at the top and get it into its action area - I might be able to kill the first spawner and maybe even a second one if I'm careful to concentrate the lathe fire, but then the spawner will have to refuel - and it won't make it through the now-active third/fourth emitter's output; I'd need an almost-perfect defense at the first meander, and the energy is a bit scarce.
Hi Toolforger, this map is setup so the player has to hold it out until the end. And the end is when your mire reaches the last mine and you can build the latheship near the emitters.

QuoteMissiles tend to never catch up, so I guess it's lasers or canons, so guess I'm left with the choice between cannons ad lasers.
Except I don't know which of the two is more energy-efficient.

Now I like the concept enough that I'd like to experiment, but ultra-slow build speed and movement make it more of a waiting game, and it's really taking out a lot of fun out of the experimentation process.
So I'm wondering what I should try next..
Yes, missiles in this map are only good for close range where there are a lot of particles but might/will be needed to the end of this map.
Lasers would be the most energy efficient.

QuoteUPDATE: Found that blocks will carry me through the first phase, but it seems that the particle buildup is faster than the energy gain - in the end, I still get overrun. I could try different compositions in the hope of finding one that's more energy efficient, and maybe micro-optimize the lathing speed a bit more, but each omission and mistake is going to take an even longer wait time until I get past whatever phase I fail at, so I'm quitting anyway.
In my finalized run i:
Spoiler
started with the energy lathe ship and a laser in the low left space.
Then the 2nd laser (top left space) and start building the MK7 ship (bigger top left space, tanks and mk7 switched off)
From here started with Cannons first then missiles and in between tank up the MK7 ship.
Also used the emitter lathe ship as a block and didn't build a block at the beginning but i guess the 1st block ship was the 7th ship i builded.
[close]
Later on I'm coming back to the PF TD concept as i find it interesting. And that map will have some changes.

Greets,
FOXX
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

alche

i built a single cannon ship on the lower left and started with the mk7 on the middle right space,, but signe the mk7s to only target doppels, then the mire ship and a block.
then you build lasers and cannons when you have enough energy available and that should carry you till the end.

toolforger

Wow. I've always been thinking that cannons aren't as energy-efficient as lasers.
But I did observe that many laser shots would be useless whenever they ran out of energy and didn't fully kill the particle. Plus the cannon may first shoot, then a laser kills the particle anyway. So combining a laser as first line of defense and a cannon ship as second line wasn't a good idea - not if the cannon range extends beyond the laser range anyway.

impycat

Would be nice if someone could post a video. I have tried many different build orders and what folks said in the spoilers but I simply cannot get ships to build fast enough to hold back the particles.

toolforger

Did you resist the temptation to build too many ships at once?
Because then you will have more than enough ships to hold back all particles, except none of them is ready.
Or, even more devious: You have more than enough ships, but not enough enery go properly power them. Look at the energy bar, if the red bar is longer than the blue/gree bar, energy usage is above energy income and fire rate will drop. Even more devious is that it can be fine for a while, but eventually the energy store in the ships will drain and fire rate will drop (you see that if the cockpit goes from light blue to dark).

FOXX

Quote from: impycat on October 28, 2020, 12:45:07 PM
Would be nice if someone could post a video. I have tried many different build orders and what folks said in the spoilers but I simply cannot get ships to build fast enough to hold back the particles.
Hi Impycat, i am guessing there won't be a video of this map (including myself unfortunately). Some helpfull tips from Toolforger in message above.
Specially the energy storage tip.
1 add-on for my tips: when building the MK7 ship i started with Tanks/MK7 setting off and set tanks to on when the energy started to go into storage. (or a little before) You are able to fill up the tanks before the 1st enemy ship comes and then set the ship to MK7 shoot at doppels.

Hope this helps,
Greets,
FOXX
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!