Custom Map #484: Nuhages 021. By: Nuhages

Started by AutoPost, December 28, 2016, 12:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #484: Nuhages 021

Author: Nuhages
Size: 256x32

Desc:
Have fun... Feel free to rate and comment.

iwishforpie1

Bit of a tough one, but if you make some sacrifices to take mines and the last emitters, it's not too hard.

Nuhages

This map is getting killed  :o :o
I agree it's agressive but quite linear.
I really thaught this one would get better quotes.

Can't get a 7 out of 10 average on 21 maps is pissing me of.
I'm mad next map is going to be hard....  ;D ;D ;D ;D
I made a dream ... was map making on CW4

iwishforpie1

Quote from: Nuhages on December 28, 2016, 03:18:59 PM

There seems to be a lot of players who rate 1s on tough maps where you have to be aggressive  :-\

D0m0nik

You can be a bit sneaky on this one:

Spoiler
If you start your HQ on the far right you can convert one flip emitter before starting again on the left
[close]

Felt more like a puzzle map to me rather than a straight fight but it was a good puzzle.

chwooly

I have played every map that has been created to date. For the most part I stopped commenting on maps because I have realized that it is a waste of time. I didn't like having to pause continually beat a map in CW3 and a lot of maps required that there and it seems like that is the way it is here. I have said this before, My play style is to win not to get a great score. If the beginning is starved for energy or I don't have tankers or i am overwhelmed with particles before I can build my first ship then it is not a fun map and I rate it accordingly.

Of course there are a few players that like these maps and that seems to be the target audience. Take a look at the most prolific posters with the best scores and those are the players that most maps are targeted for.. I have also said that hotkeys to build ships are needed but that is ignored and the constant back and forth to rebuild ships gets tedious. Out of 486 maps 120 are rated at 7 or above.

Maybe if those that complain about not getting good scores took another look at those maps they would be able to figure out why they don't get those ratings.

Cheers.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

GoodMorning

Thank you, chwooly, for reminding us of the category you enjoy.

It might be noted that some maps are balanced to be interesting without pause, but these tend to become trivial when pausing. Those which are challenging with pausing tend to become impossible without.

This is because PF rewards micromanagement more than CW3, but has fewer units to manage.

That said, I'd like to see you make a map of the type which you enjoy. Perhaps you can inspire a few people who have the same preferences (possibly myself included, but without an example map, it's hard to be sure exactly what you are after).
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Nuhages

Quote from: chwooly on December 29, 2016, 06:37:33 PM

I have played every map that has been created to date. For the most part I stopped commenting on maps because I have realized that it is a waste of time. I didn't like having to pause continually beat a map in CW3 and a lot of maps required that there and it seems like that is the way it is here. I have said this before, My play style is to win not to get a great score. If the beginning is starved for energy or I don't have tankers or i am overwhelmed with particles before I can build my first ship then it is not a fun map and I rate it accordingly.

Of course there are a few players that like these maps and that seems to be the target audience. Take a look at the most prolific posters with the best scores and those are the players that most maps are targeted for.. I have also said that hotkeys to build ships are needed but that is ignored and the constant back and forth to rebuild ships gets tedious. Out of 486 maps 120 are rated at 7 or above.

Maybe if those that complain about not getting good scores took another look at those maps they would be able to figure out why they don't get those ratings.

Cheers.

I wasn't complaining.
I think there is enough smileys in my message to be clear about it.
Regarding the type of maps you like to play, it's not and never was (never will be) my mapping style. Sorry.
I play hard, map hard, and it's public notice. I don't give the win.

It's a pity you don't take time to comment maps, every mapmaker needs feedback. Positive or negative. It's the best way to get better maps. (better than telling a mapper to go inspire himself from others...).
That said, N022 is waiting to be builded.

GoodMorning

Point taken, Nuhages. My point was that we need to know what to make, if there is something which is looked for but not found.

I enjoy more difficult maps, and yours are invariably interesting.

A fine day to all. :)
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Sorrontis

Quote from: Nuhages on December 30, 2016, 12:41:51 AM
Spoiler
Quote from: chwooly on December 29, 2016, 06:37:33 PM

Cheers.

I wasn't complaining.
Regarding the type of maps you like to play, it's not and never was (never will be) my mapping style. Sorry.

It's a pity you don't take time to comment maps, every mapmaker needs feedback. Positive or negative. It's the best way to get better maps. (better than telling a mapper to go inspire himself from others...).
[close]

Ah, the old ratings issue. You and me both my friend, you and me both. If you're not too busy, it's really depressing to watch in the first 10-30 minutes after map release the number of downloads go up, and then quickly the number of 1 ratings. I wonder if the name attached makes a difference...
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

chwooly

Quote from: Nuhages on December 30, 2016, 12:41:51 AM
I wasn't complaining.

Maybe complaining is the wrong word. Commenting???

Either way, Your maps are designed for a certain audience and will always be that way as is clear from your comments. I have stated this before, I am not a very good player. I don't care about my times. I am not the audience you are targeting. Therefore what would be the point of my telling you I like certain things when my level/style of play is not going to effect your style of building?

The one thing that I find very pleasing about your maps is that you don't really rely on emergents. And you don't use instant kill HQ's. I did hate having to keep pausing at the very end since I had to keep putting omnis down 1 right after another to get the last 3 emmiters because there was no room for the HQ to get in even with an amp gem to boost range. So while I look forward to N022 I am not confident that I will beat it as I have beaten less then 1/2 of your maps.

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Nuhages

@Sorrontis
I agree, I agree  ;D.
But I feel the rating system is good. Simple, basic and understandable.
Probably  could add a "finished rating" (meaning the average rating all player that finished the map gave).
But I like it the way it is. It's raw, violent sometime but I'm Nuhages I like violent.  ;D ;D

@chwooly
Don't get me wrong, I agree I did comment my own map ratings, not a common thing.
I was so optimist on this map... (I mean really)
No twisted tactics, all tech up, upgraded ships, only energy timing and placement.

I'll stick to my twisted mapping style from now  ;D.
If 022 happens to obey to what I want here to do [casual mappers issue] should be a typical Nuhages map.

RrR

Quote from: D0m0nik on December 29, 2016, 04:05:30 PM

Spoiler
If you start your HQ on the far right you can convert one flip emitter before starting again on the left
[close]

Felt more like a puzzle map to me rather than a straight fight but it was a good puzzle.

I tried this several times. Each time I was overwhelmed just before success would have occurred.

D0m0nik

I got it to work for the top one but not the bottom. I saved instantly!

Nuhages

Quote from: RrR on January 02, 2017, 05:43:27 PM
Quote from: D0m0nik on December 29, 2016, 04:05:30 PM

Spoiler
[close]

I tried this several times. Each time I was overwhelmed just before success would have occurred.

Quote from: D0m0nik on January 03, 2017, 12:30:57 PM

I got it to work for the top one but not the bottom. I saved instantly!

This was NOT supposed to be possible... good job.