Bored! bored! bored!

Started by NickHounsome, May 20, 2014, 06:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NickHounsome

Having played CW 1,2&3 I have to say that CW3 is really boring.
CW1 introduced the novel game idea.
CW2 is best for interesting custom maps.
CW3 is just CW1+ It seems to be really hard to inject any sort of novelty into custom maps in this format. IMHO it only really provides long term interest for OCD types.Most maps end up being a tedious slog much like some of the dark beams + nexus maps in CW2.
Maybe CW4 = CW2+ might be a better idea?

planetfall

Quote from: NickHounsome on May 20, 2014, 06:11:20 AM
It seems to be really hard to inject any sort of novelty into custom maps in this format.

Go into colonial space and search for #CRPL. Play a few of the maps that pop up. If you can still say this afterward, you have an even shorter attention span than I do.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

J

Search for maps with a max width and height or sort them on size. Usually big maps with a good rating are just a big slog. If you're a mapmaker, never use a bigger map size unless you have a great plan. If you haven't played any of my maps yet, try a few in CS. However I must agree mapmaking was more fun in CW2, CW3 gives more options (you can remake CW2 in it) but only a few use them properly. In CW2 it was just a bit harder to create a 'bad' map.

Helper

"Bored! bored! bored!"

I have found a few of the games that are way too big and nothing more than giant Emitters blasting out tons of Creeper for no really good reason.

As a general rule, I see games every day that have a lot of options for playing method and can keep me thoroughly occupied through the play.

I wonder if part of the problem is that it seems to take you so long to complete some of the games? It might help relieve your boredom if you learned some of the available tactics/methods for attacking - both what to attack and the best tools to use during that attack. A game that should take 10 minutes to complete will certainly be boring if you're still beating on it after twice that long.

iycgtptyarvg

Hmmm... interesting, I think CW3 is absolutely wonderful. I for one loved CW1, but didn't really like CW2 all that much.
I guess I'm one of those OCD that only consider a map finished when all emitters are capped and all collectable are collected and such. I see it more as a therapeutic relaxation therapy.
I do have to say that maps that require terps tend to be quite annoying. I very much hate terrain that is full of holes just to drag out the game length.

Courtesy

Yeah same here. When I'm making maps I'm trying to avoid simply 'blasting out tons of creep' for no reason or just making a hellishly hole-filled landscape. I think vast amounts of creeper is best left for maps with ways to destroy vast amounts of creeper, or with an archile's heel (or both). Give someone conversion bombs, especially if combined with the giant laserbeam of death that is the singularity cannon: and they can convert incredible amounts of hostile creeper into anti-creeper. Spawners that spawn high amounts of creeper should also have high release times, so that even if they spit out unreasonable amounts, the player is given a large amount of time to respond to this crazy occurance inbetween "waves".

Unfortunately a lot of people are bad at map making. This is true in any game where anyone can release content whenever they desire. One often has to slog through the worst of it in order to find the best of it.