What do you want to see in random maps?

Started by warren, March 25, 2015, 04:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warren

A lot of people like the dial map device. However, it cannot do everything, and it is also somewhat complicated to use. If you could have any random map generator you want, what are some of the things it could do?

Asbestos

A setting for normal maps, PAC maps, shooter maps, or boss battle maps that can be randomized between the choices.

warren

Before that can happen, someone needs to invent a PAC map random generator.

Karsten75

I guess the irony escapes you when you ask "If you could have any random map generator you want, what are some of the things it could do?" and then in response to a suggestion, you say " someone needs to invent a PAC map random generator."

pawel345

PAC map generator shouldn't be too hard actually, you need to first make the terrain then set the PZ and then place "player" units accordingly. The only problem would be to get a sensible challenge, such a generator would make often easy and impossible maps.

CRPL scripts can't  be generated so Boss battle would only feature one boss(or a set number of those depending on how much the mapmaker would like to code) and only varying terrain. So basically you make yourself a boss and you already have the terrain generator in place.

As for shooter maps, I see the possibleity to create a generator for the type of shooter that is used in Lost in Nowhere's Spaceflight map.
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14403.0  (never uploaded to CS what a waste)

Maps like stewbasic's Platformer require much more refined creation so I don't think it would work.

warren

Actually, you can fake the creation of CRPL scripts through parameterization. This is a simple example of emulation. So families of bosses are possible. I think it might be possible to randomly generate a dungeon style map as well, complete with walls that block creeper and doors that have to be sniped.

Lost in Nowhere

Oooh, I should upload that map... I recall it having some issue, but I can't remember what... *goes and looks at it*
Looking at it, there aren't really any problems (aside from colliding with terrain being wonky at times), but it's slightly incomplete. It'll probably be on CS soon, though.

Randomized bosses should be possible to some degree, even if it's just making a bunch of different scripts that allow it to act in different ways.
Don't die! :)