Some new ideas for gameplay

Started by jusio, January 02, 2010, 08:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jusio

Hello,

first of all I would like to thank to developers of CW for making such a great game, I've really spent a very good time while playing it.

Now my ideas:

1. First (and the biggest one) - creep should be able to attack, not only spread in every direction. Creep spores was a good call, but I think it doesn't give such a big presure. Once you have 2-4 SAMs, you can forget about spores. So in order to make it more challenging and interesting, we can raise the price of SAM to something like 200 energy units or just limit the number of SAMs to 1-3 . But this will make game only more challenging, so in order to make it more interesting there is should be some way to predict the path, or directions from which spores will attack. Also the precision of spore attack paths should depend on how much time left before spore will fly into the game screen. At the begining the tip will be like "3 spores atacking from left and top", and 5 seconds before launch the actuall atack path of the spore will be shown.
Also there is another way to make creep attack more interesting. For example creep emitters can create  from time to time such thing as creep bomb. This thing will simply move close to player base , then it will absorb big amount of creep around it, wait for some time, and then it will release all the absorbed creep. Player will have a possibility to destroy this creep bomb without an explosion.
   Why do I think such changes will make game more interesting? Because currently the basic strategy on almost any map(unless the is a special mission on the map) is:
1. Stop advancement of the creep
2. Find direction for attack in order to capture totem
3. Attack and capture
4. Repeat steps 2-3 until there is nothing to capture.
   So once step 1 is complete  you actually won the map. Tweaked spores and creep bombs will make steps 2-3 more interesting and intense, since player will have more things to do than just  "move first blaster, move second blaster, create a collector,repeat from the start" =).

2 Another tweak which will make game little bit nicer, will be some ammo indicator for flying drones. Also flying drones currenly are almost invicible, it would be nice if creep had some way to kill them.

3 It would be nice to fignt not only creep, but some other kinds of  enemies like wild animals and battle robots etc..

4 Also there is should be an option to teleport some ammo directly into one blaster/mortar, but under some harsh conditions (like sending one point of ammo will cost you 6 points of energy and etc). I think a lot of players are using strategy of sending mortar/blaster to some place which have no access energy, and then returning it back for recharge. 

So that's all ideas I have for now. Once again thanks for great game!

impikmin

I sort of like the nature of the creeper as it is now. It does not attack; it does not defend; it only grows and creeps. I think your ideas have more of a place in multiplayer.

jusio

It is not like such changes will change the creep behavior completly, ,and  "creep bombs" should be included only on some maps not on eaech one of them=). Even now creep is attacking using spores (not on every map as well).

Aurzel

i believe the creeper by nature is great as it is, and while you say that once you've held the creeper back that's it, there's many ways to suprise people:
spore waves, as you've pointed out, and i like very much that you have no idea what's coming
emitters which turn on later in the game so that you think you're winning but then there's a great influx of extra creeper
hidden emitters, i.e. emitters placed in the same space as other emitters to give players a nasty suprise when they try to cap it

there's many ways, so just be creative

as for your 2nd idea, why would you want drone to be destroyed? it just makes them too much of a hassle to micromanage

3rd, the essence of cw imo is that there's only one enemy

and finally 4th, the essence of flying turrets in, unconnected to the network is to give you different ways to attack and to promote micromanagement, take this as an idea: why would you supply a mortar bomber which packets? if it stays there indefinately it'll probably get blown up