Main Menu

Larger Maps

Started by TyCrusader, December 27, 2009, 03:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TyCrusader

I think it would be really cool if you could put larger maps into the game. Maybe even only twice the size of what it is now would make it that much more of a challenge. You would be able to put like a scroll bar on the side of the map in-game, or just make it to where the map scrolls up or down or whatever just by moving it to that side of the map. This would make for interesting longer games, and more challenging gameplay.

Oh, and hi.

knucracker

Welcome TyCrusader!

Bigger maps are probably the most asked for feature addition.  And they would certainly be cool. 

Parts of the original design parameters for CW were to keep it 'tight' and not involve any scrolling or zooming or many of the things common in most strategy games.  Not because these things aren't good, just because I wanted to keep CW as tight as was absolutely possible.  A sort of "brevity is the soul of wit" kind of RTS game.  This same principle spilled over into how unit upgrades work and even the design of the weapons themselves and the graphics.  Even the single enemy in CW is a statement about maximum game mechanics via minimum platform.

But, the core principles in CW would also work very well in a more traditional RTS platform.  Giant maps and all....

Aurzel

imagine a huge map like 10 times the size of the regular one with challenges in every part and having to micro manage everything as well as keep an eye on everything, you'll need to add a minimap virgil lol
imagine the large quantities of time and effort that would be spent making and playing an epic map

NoobSauce

One of the great things I saw about this game is no need for a scrolling interface -- you can see everything at once.  With !)$& like Starcraft, Cossacks, and the like under my belt, I got way tired of having to scroll to see the map.  Personally, I like the non-scrolling maps much more than larger, scrolling ones.  So, if we do have a larger map size, the option to keep all of the map onscreen at once is a must.

Personally, I say if you're gonna scale up the map, you're gonna need to scale down the graphics (size-wise) or things are going to get messy and irritating.
BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

Aurzel

well if bigger maps come with both a zoom in and out and a scrolling then i think we're set

nic nac

it doesnt necessary need larger maps. you can make the fields smaller to achieve the same.
logical S... means big S... - me

Aurzel

it would be the same thing wouldnt it?

nic nac

not really. i meant to change the scale of buildings, not the playing field itself.
right now, the buildings are 13x13 pixels large (excluding the city), if you half that and the maximum connection length, everything will seem larger.
off course, emitters, packet- and creepspeed need to be adjusted as well.
logical S... means big S... - me

Aurzel

yeah i mean wouldnt that be the same as just scrolling out visual wise?

Kamron3

I dislike the scrolling effect really... :(

_k

Aurzel

i meant zooming out, sorry

Kamron3

You can zoom all you want... but scrolling will be definite.

_k

Aurzel

i meant isnt zooming out the same as making the graphics smaller? it'd be less hassle to make a zoom out wouldnt it?