Glossary of CW3 terms

Started by Grauniad, May 15, 2013, 08:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

• Digi-rage:  Similar to map rage, but when a tendril of a large patch of digitalis snaks past your assault forces, wipes out the relays connecting your infrastructure and you watch helplessly as your entire assault force is wiped out in a matter of seconds.

Film at 9:00.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

knucracker

Ready Five Strafer: ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_Five ): Fully loaded strafer (preferably on a PZ) ready to go in 5 seconds should a tendril of digitalis penetrate your front line defenses.

Cavemaniac

Spore-Blindness: Neglecting to prepare your Beam Defenses prior to the launch of Spores.

Now mercifully much reduced due to the installation of the advance warning banner and air raid klaxon - but before that the first thing you'd know about a launch was that sickening 'splud' sound effect and your heart would just sink....

AoO Happy: Realizing that you have a surplus of Uber Weapons at your disposal - and ya just kind go nuts with them, shouting 'Die Creeper Scum' and laughing maniacally...
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

billybob

CW Death Ball: (AKA protoss death ball) a core of mortars surrounded in sprayers and pulse cannons.

A HUGE death ball all bound to one key that you can control and send anywhere and destroy anything. Most effective with a fleet of guppies ready to re-supply.
Dating is one thing. Being loved is another. Problem is, you can never be sure if you're loved.

Unless it's your Mom...

Anyone wish CW was real?

Molay

Terpaforming: Selecting the wrong height when attempting to increase a creeper-blocking wall's height.
Watching it all spill over and realizing your selected height doesn't matter now anymore.

hoodwink

The Energy Strain Release Point: The point in a game where you stop building collectors over captured ground because you are getting enough energy anyway and can't be bothered to get more.

Bridge Assault: Using a terraformed bridge, usually 3, 6 or 9 wide, to advance towards an enemy in assault. (Roma Victor)

Deep Striking: Setting up a large forward base including a command node, many weapons and energy production in a short space of time on formally heavily-creeper'd land.
Stare not into the abyss, or it has hasten in its approach.
~ Hoodwink (thesmish, smish777 or sigil)

ShadowDragon7015

TurtleForming:spending an excessive amount of time on a map terraforming. ie. an hour or 2 in game.
Hiding the golden creeper for years to come.

4xC

Swarm: Refers to a large group of runners in the same general area.

Artery: a vital tendril of digitalis that when destroyed causes a large section of digitalis away from its birth emitter to fade and slowly die while dsconnected. (If there is a large section at the end of a tendril)

Loot: Either your total AoO collection, or your collection while playing (take your pick)

Landing Pad: Previousy identified as a high piece of terrain that implies you should land a CN on it when you start a map. (Thought it should be stated here)

Ground Zero: an area targeted by either a squadron of strafers, quite a bit of bombers, or both.

edit additions:

Farm: a large, flat stretch of ground that you have a group of evenly placed reactors and collectors.
note: it is artificial if you terraformed the ground your farm rests on and natural if the "wasteland" was already flat and no terraforming was invoked in the making of the farm.

Sanitize: to completely eradicate all remaining creeper on a map even after you win.

Primary Base: the network with the highest energy production and/or the most land.

Fortress: your primary base on high ground all the way, or protected by natural/terraformed wall that either just holds back creeper if one pixel thick or is 3x3 and thus can hold PC's and Mortars on top.

Outpost: a separate network that produces less energy or has less and than your primary.

Artillery Battery: 3 or more Berthas next to each other.

New additions:

Spoils of War: whatever benefits a unit gets when it is on a PZ.

Ranch: a large area covered by active collectors. Does not include reactors.

Dam: a terraformed wall built for the purpose of either blocking creeper or controlling AC flow at a distance from your base so as to not let any go away from the frontline. (Walls on the edge of you base do not qualify)

Airbase: a large group of pads for any flying units. Preferably within your base.

AA Battery: a bunch of PB's. Could be in a line or in a tight group.

Ongoing additions:

Trench: (a probable canal if made by terraforming), a deep line of ground with higher ground on the sides of the line.

Canal: a terraformed trench with either creeper or AC inside.

Ocean: an extremely large body of creeper. (artillery battery at the ready! ;))

Creeperfall: just like a waterfall but with creeper coming from a trench ending's drop and the creeper is not flowing over the sides of the trench.

Tentacle: a curvy line of digialis.
C,C,C,C

Molay

Aorta: Your main connection highway holding your empire together over vast distances. You'll know what your aorta was once it's link is broken.

Wasteland: A part of the map that needs excessive amounts of terraforming to become usable for energy production and structure placement.

Kingo

Quote from: Molay on May 24, 2013, 05:14:42 AM
Aorta: Your main connection highway holding your empire together over vast distances. You'll know what your aorta was once it's link is broken.

Wasteland: A part of the map that needs excessive amounts of terraforming to become usable for energy production and structure placement.

What about "if?"
I certainly wouldn't wait for my network to be slashed to say, "that must have been my aorta!"

JH

Pre-launch glossary creation

The art of creating a glossary for a game before it's out :P

Molay

Quote from: Kingo on May 24, 2013, 06:48:02 PM
Quote from: Molay on May 24, 2013, 05:14:42 AM

What about "if?"
I certainly wouldn't wait for my network to be slashed to say, "that must have been my aorta!"

Apologies, I played too much Dwarf Fortress. I always expect the worst to happen. Because it will, eventually. :D

Kingo

With all the tools we are given in CW3, I highly doubt anything bad could happen.
Have to cross a pool? Terraforming solves that.
Need to take a hill? Bombers solve that.
Really want to develop an outpost? You have guppies.
And virgil is STILL working on the game :)

EpicEthan101

Atlantis- When your whole base is covered in AC

Over Energize- When you build a bunch of reactors and run out of energy

Deaths Row- A line of Berthas all aiming in the same general area

Web- A clump of digitalis that you need to get through to nullify an emitter

Chernobyl- When a group of reactors gets hit by a spore and you run out of energy, stopping your defenses, and breaking apart all you have ever know.
Dubstep Rocks, Rock Rules, and Electronic is just plain awesome!

4xC

While I did make another glossary in this forum, I decided to make it officially known but stating so here.

Here is where I expect ideas for CW3-unique terms and elsewhere (the other glossary) is where I will add them and formalize everything.

P.S. If anyone has any tips or ideas to help me improve the other glossary, please let me know either with comments here, or with PM's sent directly to me.
C,C,C,C