tek's maps

Started by teknotiss, December 13, 2013, 06:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teknotiss

ok so i upgraded to 1.60 and tried again.
"Thumbnail made with old game version. Update to latest version and refinalise the map."
so do i need to replay to repost the scores?
the maps i'm uploading are the 4 in this thread and another i finalised a few betas ago.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Clean0nion

Quote from: teknotiss on January 12, 2014, 07:15:07 PM
ok so i upgraded to 1.60 and tried again.
"Thumbnail made with old game version. Update to latest version and refinalise the map."
so do i need to replay to repost the scores?
the maps i'm uploading are the 4 in this thread and another i finalised a few betas ago.
Here's a trick.
If you've beaten the map when it's finalised, head to the appropriate folder and copy the mapname.cw3 file. Paste it into the same folder but name it something else - it doesn't matter what. Now go back into the world editor and finalise the map again. Then go back to the folder and basically undo what you just did (ie delete mapname.cw3 and renamed the copied file to that). Then see if that works. If it doesn't, then that's fine because it's essentially a bypass of the system.

Summary: save the map file and just generate a new thumbnail.

knucracker

Oh yeah, I forgot I added that enforcement.  If it is a huge problem to refinalize and play the maps again let me know and I'll try to relax the constraint for a day or so.  It will require manually updating the thumbnails on the server, though, after they are uploaded.

teknotiss

well each map is about 20/30 mins game time, but they are all huge and laggy so about 4/5 hours real/playtime each (including breaks etc). not having to replay would be nice.
so i can avoid GUID errors by following Clean's post?
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

teknotiss

Quote from: Clean0nion on January 12, 2014, 07:20:37 PM
Here's a trick.
If you've beaten the map when it's finalised, head to the appropriate folder and copy the mapname.cw3 file. Paste it into the same folder but name it something else - it doesn't matter what. Now go back into the world editor and finalise the map again. Then go back to the folder and basically undo what you just did (ie delete mapname.cw3 and renamed the copied file to that). Then see if that works. If it doesn't, then that's fine because it's essentially a bypass of the system.

ok i tried that (not that i understand why it would work, a re-finalised map has a new GUID so i need to post a "new" score everytime i finalise it, don't i?) and it doesn't work.
so what do i do?
i'd be ok with replaying the 15th map, but those other 4 have had a bunch of scores posted so i hoped they could be added by V to let everyone keep their times

Clean0nion

Quote from: teknotiss on January 13, 2014, 11:29:54 AM
Quote from: Clean0nion on January 12, 2014, 07:20:37 PM
Here's a trick.

ok i tried that (not that i understand why it would work, a re-finalised map has a new GUID so i need to post a "new" score everytime i finalise it, don't i?) and it doesn't work.
so what do i do?
i'd be ok with replaying the 15th map, but those other 4 have had a bunch of scores posted so i hoped they could be added by V to let everyone keep their times
The point is you're not refinalising the map - you're keeping it the same. But if it doesn't work, kudos to Virgil for creating a secure system.

knucracker

I have temporarily relaxed the enforcement check of the thumbnail on the server.  So you can upload your maps now.  Once you are done, let me know so I can re-enable the check.  Also, I will need to update the thumbnails by hand once uploaded.

teknotiss

Quote from: virgilw on January 13, 2014, 02:09:50 PM
I have temporarily relaxed the enforcement check of the thumbnail on the server.  So you can upload your maps now.  Once you are done, let me know so I can re-enable the check.  Also, I will need to update the thumbnails by hand once uploaded.

cheers dude. but ARGHHHHHH i messed up the first (011) map! in the messing about i've now got to post a score in my game to upload that one. :( lesson learnt, the 015 map would have been the one to experiment with since i would have been able to upload the prev 4 in order.
so in an hour or two i will have a new score (and presumably thumbnail too) for 011 and i'll upload the three needing new thumbs after that, but i'll replay 015, i may want to edit it a bit i think.
cheers again V, i should really have uploaded these earlier, sorry ::)

teknotiss

ok i have uploaded them, but i didn't make any changes to 015 so it'll need a new thumb along with 012-014, cheers V  8)

knucracker

Ok, you're set.  Exit the game then start it back up and when you enter CS it will grab the newer thumbnails.

teknotiss

Quote from: virgilw on January 13, 2014, 08:44:46 PM
Ok, you're set.  Exit the game then start it back up and when you enter CS it will grab the newer thumbnails.

wooo  ;) cheers V all sorted and new thumbs etc! nice one dude!

Cavemaniac

Quote from: teknotiss on January 14, 2014, 11:18:06 AM

Hey tek - you ever notice that all your maps have the author as 'teknoti'?

Sounds vaguely Italian!

I seem to remember reading something about Virgil having to truncate author names.
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Clean0nion

I do believe we have a "Ninja" on the forums, and a "Ninjadude501", who often shortens that to "Ninja". Unless they're the same person.

teknotiss

Quote from: Cavemaniac on January 14, 2014, 01:58:59 PM
Quote from: teknotiss on January 14, 2014, 11:18:06 AM

Hey tek - you ever notice that all your maps have the author as 'teknoti'?

Sounds vaguely Italian!

I seem to remember reading something about Virgil having to truncate author names.

really i hadn't really looked, that's a bit of a downer  :(
hey V how come my 9 letter name is too long?
and if you have to trunc it can you edit my maps to show "tek" and i'll upload with that in future, if not no worries

knucracker

It wasn't me truncating them.  It appears to be a bug in the forum posting APIs.   I saw the same thing with the title lines.  I fixed it there by putting a space after the author name.  I just updated the autopost code to do that very thing on the author line in the body of the message and also gone back and fixed you names in existing posts by hand.