Th3ch053n0n3's difficulty with Level 19.

Started by slayer, June 20, 2012, 05:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slayer

Hi everyone,

Th3ch053n0n3 locked his topic, but I wanted to give one general piece of advice to those new to CW2, especially in regard to Level 19.

On all levels, make sure to pay attention to your objective. For example, there are YouTube videos showing people beating level 19 by clearing the screen of creeper. The goal of level 19 is to get all the bunkers. You can lower your times substantially by ignoring large parts of the screen and focusing on getting the bunkers.

I know some of you out there like to decimate the creeper, but if you want high scores stay focused on your goals.

Also if any are interested and since my high scores are real, would anyone like general advice on getting high scores in CW2?

I would never post walkthroughs (solving the puzzle of high scores is what keeps me coming back again and again ;)) but it seems some general tips could be helpful to a lot of you.

One final word. Kudos to Virgil for such a spectacular game. CW2 can be played in so many ways (just survive the levels, low times, high scores, tons of custom maps) and the balance and challenge in all of these approaches signals the amazing skill of the game designer.

Slayer

Ebon Heart

Also, one last piece of advice. Asking for saves is NOT a way to beat the game.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

lich98

Quote from: Ebon Heart on June 20, 2012, 06:24:22 PM
Also, one last piece of advice. Asking for saves is NOT a way to beat the game.
they are usefull for between computers :P
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

Th3ch053n0n3

How do I put this semi-politely.......
Ebon Heart, go kiss a donkey.
If I am having trouble beating a level, it doesn't give you the right to be all holier-than-thou because you beat it.

Edit: Touche, 2b3o4o. But how did you get your response up so fast? Troll.....

2b3o4o

Quote from: Th3ch053n0n3 on June 24, 2012, 09:03:13 PM
How do I put this semi-politely.......
Ebon Heart, go kiss a donkey.
If I am having trouble beating a level, it doesn't give you the right to be all holier-than-thou because you beat it.
How do I put this semi-politely...

Ebon had an excellent point. Is it worth ten dollars if all you do is load saved games? Please don't insult people trying to help you get full value from your purchase. Trying to be all holier-than though doesn't help either, so please restrain yourself from doing that as well.

Also, the fact that I care very much about the KnuckleCracker community and check the forums often should not classify me as a troll.

Chani

Let's try to keep the discussion civil.  It is alright for people to agree to disagree.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Chani on June 24, 2012, 09:29:22 PM
Let's try to keep the discussion civil.  It is alright for people to agree to disagree.
Aww shucks, and here I was hoping for a good flame war. ;)
I'm just kidding. I'll be civil just this once and comply with demands.

(not actually me)
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

lich98

Quote from: Ebon Heart on June 26, 2012, 02:18:30 PM
Quote from: Chani on June 24, 2012, 09:29:22 PM
Let's try to keep the discussion civil.  It is alright for people to agree to disagree.
Aww shucks, and here I was hoping for a good flame war. ;)
I'm just kidding. I'll be civil just this once and comply with demands.

(not actually me)
:P
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

Ginger88895

OMG I see you guys talking off-topic things  ;)
Actually, Day 19 is quite easy. Just try out so me code map with titan emitters and without experimentals :) However, if you really have problem:

1. The first phantom will likely target your right-most reactor. Don't dig to release the creeper on that cell
2. Seperate Blasters. Two blasters guarding a place isn't so good. (But you need to clear out the creeper quickly at the beginning for producing energy)
3. Move launcher to the left. While doin' this, build a beacon on the right, AND move your ship to the left.This can greatly improve your supply offering.
4. Guard the first gateway with phantom coils if you are overbuilding somewhere else.
5. Procedure of eliminating those nasty chambers:
(1) The chamber right under the first gateway
(2) The chamber right to Chamber 1.
(3) The chamber with several emitters
(4) The chamber housing a gateway which can launch phantoms
(5) You know this!
6. DON'T USE ANTI-CREEPER EXCEPT ON THE LAST STAGE! If you use it while you're fighting previous chambers, you'll lose valueable ores. Cap the anticreeper in a shield (How to do this is described in other topics) before you dig the terrain. btw, put all your upgraded blaster in the chamber just after you eliminated a hyper drone, and this box will be clearly happily. DON'T Nullify those structures if you go for time, and dig to the bunker and rescue Admiral Abraxis.

slayer

No offence to Ginger88895, but if you follow that advice level 19 will take forever.

I've had a blast trying to refine my approach to Level 19 and in the last 5 minutes have finally gotten my time on this level down to 7min 1.3 sec. And I'm not stopping there.

This level is a great example of the brilliance of CW2. Manage your resources, make clever and timely decisions, fight on multiple fronts and do this continuously over the course of the entire level. And as you play a level over and over, you'll create ideal strategies for each phase of the level that you can finally put together to make a run at a very high score.

One last thing, I don't believe in walkthroughs, even those as broad as Ginger88895's but here are two points/hints.
1) Not all creeper and structures need to be destroyed on this level. The goal of Level 19 is to collect all bunkers.
2) The faster you get to the bottom chamber the less creeper will be in it, the less weapons you'll need to clear it, and the faster you can pass through to get to the bottom bunker.

Slayer

Wizy

This is what I did, it was easy this way:
First, destroyed the gateway that sends dig packets, the 3 bunkers at the left can defend themselves forever(or atleast for a very long time) as long as they are confined.
Then went down through the right, blocking the creeper with shields/blasters and the drones with blasters, not even destroying the drone gateways. Collecting the bunkers on the way.
Prepared alot of blasters to fight the super drone and went in. Once the bottom-right emiter and gateway are destroyed you can play relaxed.

TrickyDragon

i agree with wizy, although i have never played the map like that (i like to destroy everything ^^ )
This is Life,  Life happens.