colonial space maps missing

Started by harrymcb, August 15, 2015, 10:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harrymcb

I loaded CW3 today at 9:44 am U.S central time and there where no colonial space maps listed. I checked the filters and they where all set to default(show all maps, sort by newest). this is my fist time loading since i upgraded to windows 10. i don't know what the problem is! please help!

knucracker

Everything related to colonial space is stored here:
c:\Users\YOUR_USER\Documents\creeperworld3\colonialspace\

I'd start by renaming that directory (while the game is not running) then start up the game.

When you first access Colonial Space, the game will download this file:
c:\Users\YOUR_USER\Documents\creeperworld3\colonialspace\LastMetaData

That's a list of every colonial space map on the server.  Once retrieved, you will see the maps show up in the game.  Thumbnails for the maps are downloaded one at a time and stored in the thumbnails directory.  If the game can't download the file (your computer is offline, etc) then it will use the last version of the file it downloaded.

harrymcb

i renamed it to c:\Users\YOUR_USER\Documents\creeperworld3\colonialspaceOLD\  and it still  does the same thing

harrymcb

i'm using the steam version if it makes a diffrence

knucracker

Does a new colonialspace directory get created when you start the game?  If so, what's in it?

harrymcb

knucracker

That's the root of the problem.... the game will try to create that directory as a first order of business when you access colonial space.  Either there is a permissions problem, or you are looking in the wrong user directory.... that sort of thing.  I'd confirm what user accounts you have on the system and that you are logged into the right one and looking at the right one.  You might have switched to a MS account when you upgraded, but steam was installed and is running under your "old" user from before you upgraded.

I'd try a range of progressively more aggressive things.  First, I'd just reboot and see if the problem goes away.  When that doesn't work I'd uninstall and reinstall the game.  If that doesn't work then I'd try running steam and or the game as administrator (if you aren't already).  If that didn't work, I'd uninstall and reinstall steam (then reinstall the game again).

teknotiss

Quote from: harrymcb on August 15, 2015, 04:15:01 PM
no there is no new directory.

Quote from: virgilw on August 16, 2015, 09:17:39 AM
That's the root of the problem.... the game will try to create that directory as a first order of business when you access colonial space.  Either there is a permissions problem, or you are looking in the wrong user directory.... that sort of thing.  I'd confirm what user accounts you have on the system and that you are logged into the right one and looking at the right one.  You might have switched to a MS account when you upgraded, but steam was installed and is running under your "old" user from before you upgraded.

I'd try a range of progressively more aggressive things.  First, I'd just reboot and see if the problem goes away.  When that doesn't work I'd uninstall and reinstall the game.  If that doesn't work then I'd try running steam and or the game as administrator (if you aren't already).  If that didn't work, I'd uninstall and reinstall steam (then reinstall the game again).

could be a win 10 error...
i've been reading that a lot of steam users can't play games in win 10, i can confirm that i cannot use steam games in win 10 also  >:(
although that appears to be a direct X issue, and this isn't

also is it possible that you can't create directories the same way in win 10 from within games?

hmmm  i doubt MS will be any help soon  ::)
can you patch the game to do a win 10 check and if so then set up a new folder with some win 10 app V?
i uninstalled win 10 about 2 hours after installing it, it basically broke every program i use regularly.
including CW3, for me it just wouldn't open, i got the swirly circle for ages then nothing, no error, no program running.... just nothing :o
i'm going to give it a few months till basic stuff works for it... then try again...
it's seems like this upgrade to win 10 is actually a massive Beta test....

harrymcb... are you playing CW3 through steam???
did you backup etc?
as a last resort if you rollback and it works ok we will have pinned it to win 10, and if you do you can reinstall win 10 at a later date for free, we have till July 29th 2016 to do so, i have read!

hope that helps a bit
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

knucracker

In your case, you just need to reinstall directX.  That seems to fix most people's problems with windows 10. 
http://steamcommunity.com/app/280220/discussions/0/535152511374602629/

In my case, I don't mess with upgrades.  Upgrade to get the free upgrade yes.... but then I immediately do a clean install of windows 10.  For a clean install, everything is just fine so far in my experience.  Its basically windows 8.1 without the corner charm stuff and with metro apps running in windows (and a nice xbox app that will stream the xbone to your desktop... yay, my tv is now freed from my 4 year old playing skylanders.)

There's no reason for me to try to do anything specific for windows 10.... that won't really help anything.  CW3 works fine under windows 10 in general.  It's upgrade issues with directx, permissions, user accounts.... that get in the way.

teknotiss

Quote from: virgilw on August 16, 2015, 09:47:15 AM
In your case, you just need to reinstall directX.  That seems to fix most people's problems with windows 10. 
http://steamcommunity.com/app/280220/discussions/0/535152511374602629/

In my case, I don't mess with upgrades.  Upgrade to get the free upgrade yes.... but then I immediately do a clean install of windows 10.  For a clean install, everything is just fine so far in my experience.  Its basically windows 8.1 without the corner charm stuff and with metro apps running in windows (and a nice xbox app that will stream the xbone to your desktop... yay, my tv is now freed from my 4 year old playing skylanders.)

There's no reason for me to try to do anything specific for windows 10.... that won't really help anything.  CW3 works fine under windows 10 in general.  It's upgrade issues with directx, permissions, user accounts.... that get in the way.
ahh interesting, well i'm waiting til they give up on forced updates and stuff, since with my luck i'll get one of those perpetual loops failures!
and i can't use my preferred defence wares to work with win 10 yet, so a few months and all should be good for me.
hope the DX reinstall does the trick for harry
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

harrymcb

how do you go about reinstalling DX. i could do it on windows 7 but there doesn't seem to be a place to download it for windows 10.

Karsten75

Quote from: harrymcb on August 16, 2015, 01:25:20 PM
how do you go about reinstalling DX. i could do it on windows 7 but there doesn't seem to be a place to download it for windows 10.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+install+directx+on+WIndows+10

harrymcb

thanks karset. however it seems what i really needed to do was restart steam as administrator. it's working now. thanks for all your help and for responding so fast.