Custom Map #94: Random Terrain Generator 1. By: Pawel345

Started by AutoPost, January 16, 2014, 06:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #94: Random Terrain Generator 1

Author: Pawel345
Size: 100x100

Desc:
I decided that while the DMD can generate really good maps, it's not the best when you whant to play a space island type of map, with lots of tiny islands and little space. So I wrote a random terrain generator that makes only space island maps. Right now it's just one terrain level and all of the structures and enemies must be custom placed but it's fun anyway and I will try to improve it. This is the first map made this way. #Digitalis #Space Islands #Random #Spores

Clean0nion

And yet the title implies that the uploaded map itself is a generator... unless I have been misinformed.

pawel345

No, sorry the title is meant to imply that this map is made by a random terrain generator. If it's liked I will generate a series of maps and post them in my thread on the forums so one can take a terrain and make a map easily. Ofc I will try to make more maps like this one, as I really like the Archipelago type of maps^^

Clean0nion

Here's an idea, then.

Upload a completely-void map, except for an inhibitor and a command node on the opposite side. Then when a user loads the map, have it randomly generate terrain, then randomly place emitters, then add a ring of land around the inhibitor and the node. Then perhaps have something that goes from emitter to emitter and places digitalis. And there you have a randomly generated map for each user! Of course, all scores will be invalid.

In the meantime, I'd recommend you change the title of THIS map to something like "Randomly Generated Terrain 1".

pawel345

No way, just loading the terrain takes like 2-3 min, as the SetTerrain function is very slow. Additionally the CPRL random number generator takes map UID as seed so the terrain will look the same anyway. In the meantime I made another map using the same program, again only terrain is generated the enemies have to be placed by hand.

Helper

P-345,
That is a solid "10"!
Fun game to play and about 57 ways to play it.
Great fun.

ljw1004

Did you end up creating more maps in this series? I'd be interested to see more.

I enjoy the cramped feel of this one. However, being island-based, there was never much challenge, since islands are easily defensible. I wonder if that will be true for all island maps, or if digitalis will change that? I wonder if you'd need to borrow ideas from naval island warfare, e.g. the equivalent of battleships (Creeperships) off the shore of your island?

J

ljw1004: In colonial space you can search for '#random' or click the author's name to see all maps of that author. This way you can find all his randomly generated maps.

EDIT (reply to post after this one): You can set the mouse position as seed for the random number generator, this way you don't have to add it manually every time. :)

warren

There is a way around the seed problem. Query the mouse position then add that to any numbers generated.