Norton Warning on CW1

Started by Jamz, October 11, 2013, 11:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamz

So I bought the trilogy. yay! :D

But unfortunately, upon downloading CW1, Norton carried out its usual check and removed the exe file saying it was not safe. :(
Upon clicking more details, this is the information it brings up...

QuoteThis threat has been removed.
No further Action is needed.

creeperworld-0632.exe
Threat Name: WS.Reputation.1 ***link for more info was provided. link at bottom of post

Unknown Community Usage, Unknown Age, Risk Medium.

Creeper World 2 and 3 are fine by the way and I've managed to install them both without a problem

So, I'm a little annoyed, would've liked to have started the Creeper adventure from Game 1.
Hoping something can be sorted out soon. Will wait until then. :)

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2010-051308-1854-99&vid=4294919973&product=Norton%20Internet%20Security&version=20.4.0.40&plang=sym:EN&layouttype=ESD&buildname=Retail&heartbeatID=7EA4A102-96BF-11E0-BF7E-001BB1F8BB1E&env=prod&vendorid=&plid=2&plgid=2&skup=21234417&skum=21234721&skuf=21228659&endpointid={7EA4A102-96BF-11E0-BF7E-001BB1F8BB1E}&partnerid=&lic_type=16&lic_attr=21124114&psn=7G6K9X2QJRHC&osvers=6.1&oslocale=iso:GBR&oslang=iso:ENG&os=windows

Karsten75

Your link is messed up.

And Norton is probably the worst AV out there.

Karsten75

Wow, did you even read that? It doesn't say there is a virus. It says it has a low reputation from the Symantec community. and is *likely* to be a security risk. SO they nuke it even though they can't really prove there is a virus.

What a bunch of clowns.

Grauniad

There isn't anything Virgil can do about this.  You'll have to trust that the download from Knucklecracker.com is safe. Many AV packages have specific ways that you can tell it to ignore a file.

The reason Norton flags this may be that a number of cracked copies exist on torrents and other unsafe sites. These cracked copies  have malware payloads in them. If too many of Symantec's customers download unsafe software like that, then flash games in general will get tagged as having a virus. Note that the virus is not specifically identified. It is more a generic warning.

I really have no clue why a reputable software company would have warnings to this effect.

Here is a nice summary of this situation from a 3rd party: How Symantec Ruins Independent Developers
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Jamz

Yeah, I didn't expect it to be a virus, but just thought there might be something that could be done to eliminate the message. If not for me then at least for potential future buyers who may also experience this and may perhaps get a little worried.

meh, I guess I'll just turn off Norton until I install it.
Hope Norton doesn't do anything once it is installed though. :P

Oh, and thanks for the quick responses guys. :)

Grauniad

On the Norton website there is also a bunch of complaints. Including links on how to restore the file out of quarantine.

In tech communities Norton and Symantec has a very poor reputation themselves. :)  Many techies recommend the free Microsoft Security Essentials over Symantec software.

Here are instructions on how to restore a false positive from quarantine.

Jamz

Ah yeah, just figured out how to restore and prevent its exclusion without needing to turn it off.
But thanks a lot though. Really appreciate the swift and informative help. :)

Still, IF virgil can do something to prevent that happening for the benefit of future customers, that would be great. Otherwise if not, then oh well.

Anyway, looking forward to playing now. Catch ya guys later. :)

Grauniad

I'll suggest to  Virgil to look into the cost/benefit of jumping through the hoops to have it white-listed with Symantec.

teknotiss

Quote from: Jamz on October 11, 2013, 11:29:07 AM
Yeah, I didn't expect it to be a virus, but just thought there might be something that could be done to eliminate the message. If not for me then at least for potential future buyers who may also experience this and may perhaps get a little worried.

meh, I guess I'll just turn off Norton until I install it.
Hope Norton doesn't do anything once it is installed though. :P

Oh, and thanks for the quick responses guys. :)
i advocate ZoneAlarm free from Zonelabs.
it's great for gamers and casul surfers alike, simple to use and doesn't slow the CPU much.
if you do replace Norten (which i'd suggest you do, almost any freeware firewall is better than them) then make sure you DL the Norten Removal Tool from Nortens site. if you don't you could end up with a conflict with the next firewall because their uninstaller is rubbish too!
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Neko187

Kaspersky is great... It seems pretty much bulletproof, although it DOES use a good chunk of memory. It's great, I've had it for a... gosh it's been 3 years now wow, but yeah. it's good.

Also, Norton is only the 2nd worst. McAfee is the worst.
Everything is too long a list to work with.
No one knows everything about anything.
No one knows something about everything.
Everyone knows something about something.
Anyone could be the world's foremost expert on something.
Anyone who thinks that just because they didn't already know a thing, it must not be true or important, is an idiot.
-OSC

teknotiss

Quote from: Neko187 on October 11, 2013, 08:03:16 PM
Kaspersky is great... It seems pretty much bulletproof, although it DOES use a good chunk of memory. It's great, I've had it for a... gosh it's been 3 years now wow, but yeah. it's good.

Also, Norton is only the 2nd worst. McAfee is the worst.

in my experience kapersky is too heavy for mid range or lower power machines, and why waste the processor cycles anyway. :D
and i think we might both be right.
McAfee = worst for protection
Norton = worst for filling users machines with rubbish
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Neko187

McAfee itself is a virus >.> they spam ads at you
Everything is too long a list to work with.
No one knows everything about anything.
No one knows something about everything.
Everyone knows something about something.
Anyone could be the world's foremost expert on something.
Anyone who thinks that just because they didn't already know a thing, it must not be true or important, is an idiot.
-OSC

Michionlion

I'd have to disagree here... I have both McAfee and Malwarebytes installed, they work beautifully together, malwarebytes for removing viruses, and McAfee for detecting them.  I've had to whitelist a couple apps sometimes, but they were of questionable origin anyways.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!