Creeper World at Kongregate

Started by knucracker, December 22, 2009, 02:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucracker

Hello everyone...
I've just posted the training sim to Kongregate.  Kong is a ratings driven site, so every 5 star vote will count and help drive more exposure for the game.

Go here and vote the game 5 stars, I'll be eternally grateful!
http://www.kongregate.com/games/whiteboardwar/creeper-world-training-sim?referrer=whiteboardwar

And please share this link with your friends.... the more 5 star votes the more exposure CW will get.

Mrmcdeath

sweet... I read the comments and people on Kongregate whine TOO much. I mean seriously... this one guy voted it 3 just because they gathered at a world called "Hope". He said it was too cliche.
Life Lesson #1
When life gives you lemons make lemonade.
Life Lesson #2
Unless life also gives you sugar and a cup, your lemonades gonna suck.

JohnSteel

How do you beat the Bowl level? Quite honestly I think this level suffers from some really poor game design. The other levels were very easy to beat but this one I literally have done over 15 times so far.

NoobSauce

I built a few collectors off of each other to the top of the bowl, grabbed the drone powerup, made 2 drones inside the bowl, and as soon as they were charged I bombed the snot out of the ridge above the bowl.

After that, I got a mortar (I think just one, but possibly three) to take care of the stray creeper left in the ridge.

I built up my base, continuing the bombing runs to keep myself safe, and then built some blasters (I don't have the game open and can't remember the name) _inside my base_.

The spores came, knocked out a few collectors in the bowl.  I rebuilt -- honestly the spores did next to nothing since the creeper they created didn't have backup.

I got a foothold just over the ridge (using a... bridge...  thing.  repeater?) with a cannon, and pushed out from there.  Then it was just a matter of building collectors in contested spots and leapfrogging cannons over to get more territory.  I progressed from the left to the right with only one catastrophic failure (really, the way beginning is the hardest part).

Building while paused helped immensely.
BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

Aurzel

the bowl is well designed just like all the other maps imo, it forces you to build out quickly and time your building and manage energy to a greater degree he than previous levels since you have to cope with the incoming spores and the lack of a defensible position

NoobSauce

I have to disagree with you there, Aurzel.  The only truly difficult part of the map, like I said, is the initial rush forward...  The spores do almost no damage, since they're programmed to land only in the bowl...  which just happens to have no support from the rest of the creeper.  They hit my main base, took out a few (emphasis: few) collectors, then shriveled up and died.  I rebuilt within seconds.

And the bowl itself is an easily defensible position, especially if you have mortars bombing the aforementioned snot out of the ridge.

The level isn't bad enough for me to call it "Nintendo Hard" (TV Tropes, sorry) but it still feels like cheap difficulty...  I'd suggest having the spores land farther forward (i.e. taking out your expanding, squishy network up top).
BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

knucracker

Quote from: Mrmcdeath on December 23, 2009, 12:15:29 PM
sweet... I read the comments and people on Kongregate whine TOO much. I mean seriously... this one guy voted it 3 just because they gathered at a world called "Hope". He said it was too cliche.

Funny... The kid is probably too young to realize it is supposed to be cliche.  The whole story is a giant amalgamation of most of the popular themes in science fiction over the last 50 years. 

I almost didn't post it to kong because I knew these things would keep me up at night.  I try to look away and ignore as the flood of mind boggling comments flood in.... but every now and then I take a quick look and am forced to spend the next 2 hours banging my head against the desk :)

knucracker

Small clarification about the spore targeting.   Spores will target random structures.   If there are no structures on the map, they target random locations.
So..... it almost never makes sense, but if you built a tight cluster of collectors over in a part of the map you didn't care about you would increase the probability that the spores would target them and not the rest of your base.  This strategy really only makes sense on custom maps where you can't build sams but spores are inbound.  (And even in this case you should position blasters everywhere to pop the spores when they hit).

Aurzel

a note on that virgil, spores dont target every structure from what i've found, on my map 6 where it's all spores, i baricadded myself on the centre island with just odin city and built a blaster while the spore exploded all around me but only 1 at the most per wave hit the island, as soon as i built a single collector all 15 spores fell on my collector, i think spores only target collectors, is that right?

knucracker

I had to actually go check the code on this one...
Looks like it targets collectors and relays. 

Aurzel

eh i like it as it is, after all those are the buildings where it'll do the most damage

Thorgold

Quote from: NoobSauce on December 23, 2009, 03:22:52 PM
I built a few collectors off of each other to the top of the bowl, grabbed the drone powerup, made 2 drones inside the bowl, and as soon as they were charged I bombed the snot out of the ridge above the bowl.

After that, I got a mortar (I think just one, but possibly three) to take care of the stray creeper left in the ridge.

I built up my base, continuing the bombing runs to keep myself safe, and then built some blasters (I don't have the game open and can't remember the name) _inside my base_.

The spores came, knocked out a few collectors in the bowl.  I rebuilt -- honestly the spores did next to nothing since the creeper they created didn't have backup.

I got a foothold just over the ridge (using a... bridge...  thing.  repeater?) with a cannon, and pushed out from there.  Then it was just a matter of building collectors in contested spots and leapfrogging cannons over to get more territory.  I progressed from the left to the right with only one catastrophic failure (really, the way beginning is the hardest part).

Building while paused helped immensely.
I did the same. In fact, I played the last level almost entirely with drones. I rushed the ridge with a straight collector line (to get the artifact, then up onto the ridge in a "T" formation). I built two blasters, which held off the Creeper long enough to build drones. Then, I "bombed the snot" out of the ridge for the rest of the game. While I sent continuous bombing runs (one drone, then another when depleted), steadily building reactors, a cubic buttload of speed and storage, and more drones.

By the end of the game, I had two 16-drone bombing flights, for a total of 32 drones continuously bombing the ridge, while I easily crossed it with collectors and charged the totems. Took me 33 minutes, and I could've finished around 12, but watching a squadron of drones wipe the map clean of Creeper is epic :P

Dranar

I've rated it as a 5 and I added it to my favourites.

Did you make the White Board War games?
The Reactor - The Reactor of all Reactors

knucracker

I made Whiteboardwar:ChopRaider.  Talk about a very different game from Creeper World....
A combo between "choplifter" and "raid on bungeling bay" all mashed up with some twists and played on a whiteboard.

Mrmcdeath

Wow... I never knew that! I friggin love that game. You are now my most favorite internetz person!
Life Lesson #1
When life gives you lemons make lemonade.
Life Lesson #2
Unless life also gives you sugar and a cup, your lemonades gonna suck.