Custom Map #2364: The Factory. By: MysteryMaster

Started by AutoPost, September 23, 2021, 02:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2364: The Factory

Author: MysteryMaster
Size: 350x187

GadgetBoy

This would have been a really good FPS map. It was arduously long in normal game play.

CS Z

I think there's a 25 minute all objectives win in here.  I was being extra cautious due to eggs and other possible nasty surprises and so I wasted a bunch of valuable time building a ton of mortars I ended up not even using.  Nullified in 37 minutes.  Took another 20 minutes to secure the upper right area.

I might try it again tomorrow to see if I can get glorious amounts of cheese to happen.

The lack of soylent probably throws most people.  Here's a useful tip:

Spoiler
Don't build very many mortars and set Armed to Off until you are actually ready to use those units.  Mortars are powerful but also a significant energy drain.  Until you can get a few ERNs, they'll just slow you down.  Cannons use a lot less energy and can handle being in creeper up to around 3 deep on their own without blowing up.
[close]

CS Z

Got all objectives in just under 30 minutes (all nullified in 28 minutes, all objectives in 29:25).  My run was fairly inefficient so I still think a 25 minute win is possible.

Spoiler
The key is to retake the upper right corner before doing much of anything else by intentionally Destroying a few sprayers on the flip breeder to kickstart the AC.  Once that corner is secure thanks to the creeper cap, then the main area can be taken on.  I realized that there is enough AC in the corner to pull out AC and use a bunch of sprayers to overwhelm creeper with AC.  One of the rare maps where that might actually be doable.
[close]

MysteryMaster

Glad you all enjoyed it!
Lemme just real quick address 2 things:
1: The lack of soylent was due to it being a fairly large map.
Bigger map means more energy over time, and i was worried that would make it too easy.

2: The breeder area was a miscalculation. It was supposed to be strong enough that a frontal assault wasn't very viable, but anticreeper from the impeller was your solution. Turns out i made it WAY too strong.
BUUUUT, it resulted in a cool effect where any breeder that is reclaimed with AC is unable to be retaken by creeper, so thats kinda neat!