What Are Code Missions?

Started by Dubickimus, July 26, 2011, 03:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubickimus

mpete

Do you have the demo? It is in the full game in the main menu.

But you type in a code and it makes a random map.
sorry for any misspellings.
signed,mpete

Grauniad

Code Missions are maps generated by a part of the full game. You either start with a "seed" of characters you type in or that the game randomly generates. From this seed it then proceeds to generate a pseudo-random map of varing difficulty. There are approximately 4 billion random maps that can be generated this way - some are no-contest maps and others are too hard to beat. Most fall somewhere in between.

Attached a screen image of the code mission start page.

A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Measure

There's a limit of 4 billion? If I had enough time to get through ten a day it would only take me a million years to get through them.

Jay the Juggernaut

I think it's WAY more than a couple billion. ;)
I'll mostly be lurking as a guest, not much into posting anymore. :P

Kithros

Quote from: Jay the Juggernaut on July 28, 2011, 11:11:28 AM
I think it's WAY more than a couple billion. ;)

There aren't necessarily no repeats of the same code map with different names - however, it would be extremely unlikely to find them (and even less so to notice that you did)

thepenguin

it is possible that by running virgil's seeding algorithim in reverse, we could create two codes with identical maps
We have become the creeper...

Dubickimus

oh i just realized i havnt downloaded the latest patch
silly me

Echo51

TP: You can't really reverse it, since you can't reverse a MD5 string either. But when you find 2 strings where the first 8 chars converted from HEX to DEC is the same, the map should also be the same ;)

Dubick: yeah, it's in the patch, so if you didn't have it you won't see them :D
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

thepenguin

Quote from: Echo51 on July 29, 2011, 07:18:28 AM
TP: You can't really reverse it, since you can't reverse a MD5 string either. But when you find 2 strings where the first 8 chars converted from HEX to DEC is the same, the map should also be the same ;)

ever hear of MD5 Collisions?
We have become the creeper...