Weekly 5-Map Tournament - Creeper World 3 Blog Entries - Closing Jun 23 2013

Started by dhc, June 17, 2013, 11:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlbushman

Now that the tournament is over, would someone be willing to post a strategy for 'Roma Victor'.  I must have restarted that level 30+ times, tried several different strategies and none of them worked.

I could handle the first group of drones, the 2nd one opening and the phantom waves.  I always got overrun when the 3rd chamber opened up and that group of drones came at me.

How do you deal with that many drones?

I'd be happy with any insight, from a general strategy, to a walkthrough, screenshots or even a video.

mopa42

I should have a set of maps picked out by the end of the day.

I've got a couple of screen shots from Roma Victor. I set up an initial defense with shields, invested in energy, then built a blaster to take care of the drones from the left. Right before each release of new drones, I disconnected everything and used the energy to build shields. After the last drone rush I had just two blasters left of my four, but I had survived.
Unfortunately these screenshots don't show the in-between bits very much.

Edit - I'll add that I had by no means the fastest time, but I felt pretty safe for most of the attack.

asmussen

Another alternative, similar to mopa's, is to continue the initial shield defense for a little longer and collect the other available gems and technology upgrades before moving to the right and building up your economy.
Shawn Asmussen

dhc

I managed to keep the first hole capped with shields (barely) long enough to get what I needed to build and supply an AC maker and it did most of the work from there.

ea3401

Step1: Pick up the gems and open all chambers.

Step2: Kill the Emitter. Don't build anything until every drone and phantom has aimed the LS.

Step3: Kill the Gateway. Continue drone evasion while clearing the creeper.

dlbushman

Thanks for the tips and strategies, I actually did it a couple times how asmussen suggested, but never survived.  I also did the way mopa suggested, but clearly didn't execute properly.  I'll try again when I get home from work.

asmussen

Quote from: dlbushman on June 24, 2013, 04:17:18 PM
Thanks for the tips and strategies, I actually did it a couple times how asmussen suggested, but never survived.  I also did the way mopa suggested, but clearly didn't execute properly.  I'll try again when I get home from work.

One thing to keep in mind is that once you survive the initial breakout of a section of drones, it's usually not that hard to keep up with the drones as they come out one at a time. You can largely handle a lot of breakouts just by building some extra shields, and have a relatively small number of blasters. For example, I only had 3 blasters built when the upper left drones broke out of their chamber, but I built several extra shields on the path that the drones would come across, just before they were ready to break out, so that most of them were destroyed ramming the shields. Takes much less energy to setup than trying to build enough blasters to shoot down all of the drones from an outbreak.
Shawn Asmussen

Wheatmidge

I feel like throwing in my 2 cents on strategy this time :)

I blocked off the right chamber with shields and grabbed the gems. I then immediately started building reactors and used shields as well as 2 blasters to prevent the right chamber from leaking out. And then I just built up and brute forced everything.

dhc

Haven't seen this type of discussion in a while.  Nice to see the different approaches that were taken.  I initially regretted selecting this map but it turns out to have been one of the more interesting ones lately.

ctuna

Unsuccessful in some of the other missions, I managed this one ok. I used a modified ea3401's "step 1" to block the first gap with shields, 1 repulsor and a 2 blasters, then grabbed the left-side red & 1 green gems and 2 nano-chips & retreated to the right. I knocked off enough terrain to dig down to the white gem and kill the upper right emitter, using a line of shields and a couple more blasters for protection from the surge of drones (I can never seem to accurately predict all the drones' path with shields alone) and built reactors. It got easier from there with a maker to flood the area and more digging and reactors. Sorry I didn't have pics. I wish I had thought of dhc's use of the maker early enough to flood the upper chamber, weakening the drones. Maybe next time. Nice job, all.