Custom Map #1832: Cold And Not Alone. By: Gotha

Started by AutoPost, May 12, 2022, 03:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1832: Cold And Not Alone

Author: Gotha
Size: 374x296

Desc:
After uncovering yet more dark truths Our heroes set out to meet the King of pirates and hopefully get some answers, But it becomes very clear that the long road ahead is a dangerous one as the Crimson Mercs hound them at every last step

Gotha

Dev insight time! Well first and foremost i forgot to add the actual mission order stuff in the desc.. whoops! oh well the next level will say this was the previous one so redundancy exists

Plot-wise this is half filler half set-up for the next level to have some character dev, first drafts of writing had it for this level but i think placing it as you meet the king works better, Gameplay wise i just wanted to mess with PRPL units beyond scripted dialogue and the like, which i think i did well, i found the bombs a fun and tricky thing to deal with, as moving fast ships around them left the particles that burst out weak to heavier cannon fire

Next level will be a good long time out, heavier scripting use (theres gonna be a cutscene yo!) and intentionally a longer level for plot reasons, i think it'll be absolutely great and i am looking forward to it!

As for playing this mission, Do everything in chunks and find a rhythm with the enemy, The beefy attack waves are done in chunks and enemy placement is set up to allow either the hunter of reststop to snipe some kills (Fun fact varro ships are very weak to fighters) but likewise theres parts of the map designed to spread your forces more thin and require energy support, keep your cool and it'll go just fine

Or like.. try to loophole and cheese it? the struc shields don't prevent build range so you could likely madlad something with the hunter and build range provided by the tanker/heavy transport, plus omnis are bs as always

svartmes

Great map! I give it 10 as it's pretty much perfect. Lots of stuff to do (I really like how busy your maps are), satisfying progress flow throughout the map and fun events.
If I was to really nitpick maybe maneuverable space can be an issue as most of the ships are pretty large but that's part of the challenge I guess.
Looking forward to the next map!

Gotha

Quote from: svartmes on May 12, 2022, 05:46:14 PM
Great map! I give it 10 as it's pretty much perfect. Lots of stuff to do (I really like how busy your maps are), satisfying progress flow throughout the map and fun events.
If I was to really nitpick maybe maneuverable space can be an issue as most of the ships are pretty large but that's part of the challenge I guess.
Looking forward to the next map!

Thats really awesome feedback thank you so much!  ;D

I did notice the maneuverable problems arising during dev, there was more scattered metal bits for visual flare but removed them in key spots to help later sections but i'll say you'll be getting access to more amp gem based techs in the next level for sure, Not a for sure on including rock burner but map design will take that into consideration regardless

As for making the maps busy, i like all of my creeper world games to feel grand in mission scope, sit down and play one big cool level then call it a day and thus how i design levels for this game, plus usually in particle fleet once you finish setting up at the start you can't exactly lose all that much anymore thus fail on HQ loss (also the lore reason of you being on that ship) and trying to make enemy attacks ramp up with you as you progress so that way it doesn't get to a point that you're just won and its cleanup time for the next 15-20 minutes

Lil' personal bit but i was utterly terrified people would dislike this map for several reasons (Intentionally rough start, being lighter on story though idk if anyone cares about the story haha and using PRPL which adds a gameplay element most aren't used too) plus i kinda had to make most of this during a heatwave, having no AC and sweating a storm doesn't help writing or considering gameplay elements lol