Custom Map #1827: EvilEnemies7: Reactor Core. By: AlFaNuGan

Started by AutoPost, March 10, 2022, 03:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1827: EvilEnemies7: Reactor Core

Author: AlFaNuGan
Size: 421x421

Desc:
After the battle for The Spire, the crew executes a stealth mission to destroy the Evil Enemies' Reactor Core.

n3s

I really appreciate the layered aspect of some of your maps, how different choices in goals and fronts can impact difficulty, how they're not really linear, necessarily.

Good stuff.

Also I'm a huge fan of strategic struc pushes, and the end of this map really benefits from all the various struc+ emitters.

svartmes

Yeah all AlFaNuGan maps are amazing. While they might not necessarily look great aestetically, they are always perfectly tuned in game balance with multiple choice strategies and perfect flow. This is another top map design.
Thanks for the maps, please keep making them.

n3s

I agree they look really artificial but that has never bothered me at all - pure gameplay, aesthetics can take a backseat any day.

alfanugan

Thanks for the feedback and I am happy you enjoy!  I don't understand what you mean by artificial, I welcome an example!  Maybe I can make good maps that look more real?

Lot's of play testing is key for me.  What you end up playing is probably version eight or so, meaning I have finalized, played through the entire level, then went back and edited, eight times.  At ~35 min per play through, it can take a little while for me to complete a map.
/\lways (oca(ola

svartmes

Don't change anything, your maps are already perfect :)

n3s

Quote from: alfanugan on March 14, 2022, 02:43:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback and I am happy you enjoy!  I don't understand what you mean by artificial, I welcome an example!  Maybe I can make good maps that look more real?

Lot's of play testing is key for me.  What you end up playing is probably version eight or so, meaning I have finalized, played through the entire level, then went back and edited, eight times.  At ~35 min per play through, it can take a little while for me to complete a map.

Don't even worry about it! The way your maps work are great, don't feel like you had to change anything. I really enjoy how they play, and that is by far the most important part.

If you're really curious, and speaking only for me, I meant that your maps rely on land mass features that wouldnt' ever happen 'naturally' - they're constructed.

But... maybe they were 'constructed', lore/enemy wise, right? No reason every floating bit of mass has to look like some kind of asteroid or something. 90 degree angles, etc, are fine if the map overall is fun and plays well, and yours do.

I'm a fan of the GMM/omni maps too, and those are REALLY 'artificial'.