Custom Map #52: Power Strike. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, September 22, 2016, 06:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #52: Power Strike

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 320x144

Desc:
Another sector, another fight for our lives. Good luck.

jaworeq

Liked this one. Hard, challenging but fair. Need to ask virgil to be able to turn off those damn cannons. Although their volleys look nice, as soon as I conquered this corner of the map, I never had any energy in reserve.

R.I.P. Many ships have given their lives for that last emitter.

BTW, your P-class ship is only useful as a static defense. To use it offensively, you have to turn it around and slide backwards, towards the enemy.

chwooly

i have save  but can't get that last emmiter.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

jaworeq

Spoiler
Build a bunch of ships (5-6 just to be sacrificed), put amp gems on lathes. Once ticon cannons start shooting, you make your assault - bring lathes in range and one after one, sacrifice ships in front of them. Every ship explosions gives you couple seconds of breathing room. Shields on ships are also nice to soak damage (C-class and that weird shielder). Keep fast ships in reserve, in case you need to make a quick entry.
[close]

Sorrontis

Quote from: jaworeq on September 23, 2016, 05:49:42 AM
Liked this one. Hard, challenging but fair. Need to ask virgil to be able to turn off those damn cannons. Although their volleys look nice, as soon as I conquered this corner of the map, I never had any energy in reserve.

R.I.P. Many ships have given their lives for that last emitter.

BTW, your P-class ship is only useful as a static defense. To use it offensively, you have to turn it around and slide backwards, towards the enemy.

"The P-Class is a base defense ship". It's going in the ships description.

Quote from: jaworeq on September 23, 2016, 08:58:13 AM
Spoiler
Build a bunch of ships (5-6 just to be sacrificed), put amp gems on lathes. Once ticon cannons start shooting, you make your assault - bring lathes in range and one after one, sacrifice ships in front of them. Every ship explosions gives you couple seconds of breathing room. Shields on ships are also nice to soak damage (C-class and that weird shielder). Keep fast ships in reserve, in case you need to make a quick entry.
[close]
Right on! I did it a little differently, but that works!
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Sorrontis

Quote from: chwooly on September 23, 2016, 08:04:00 AM

Hi chwooly, you mean those in the land? you have to use the landburn upgrade. Cheers!
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

D0m0nik

To tahe the one in land

Spoiler
Just send in a load of omni
[close]

For the difficult emitter I did exactly the same as jaworeq. For pretty much every map this works for the final emitter, it would be ncie to see more maps that require some finesse at the end, not sure how you would do this though. Perhaps emiiters that cannot be destroyed but have to be managed would be interesting.

Sorrontis

Quote from: D0m0nik on September 23, 2016, 05:19:13 PM
To tahe the one in land

Spoiler
Just send in a load of omni
[close]

For the difficult emitter I did exactly the same as jaworeq. For pretty much every map this works for the final emitter, it would be ncie to see more maps that require some finesse at the end, not sure how you would do this though. Perhaps emiiters that cannot be destroyed but have to be managed would be interesting.

That can be done

chwooly

Quote from: Sorrontis on September 23, 2016, 02:30:22 PM
Quote from: chwooly on September 23, 2016, 08:04:00 AM

Hi chwooly, you mean those in the land? you have to use the landburn upgrade. Cheers!

No, I meant the one in the middle with the big red chains.   8)

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Sorrontis

Just got at it with everything you got!  ::)

Johnny Haywire

Yeah actually I just did this. I must do things a lot more timidly because if I lose a ship (other than an omni or lathe) I go outside and shoot my gun in random directions. The neighbors don't like it much but it helps me cool off.

I didn't lose any ships taking the big emitter in the middle. I just killed everything else, surrounded it and slowly crept in.

As for the guns... I didn't have any trouble powering them up but once I'd killed everything except the big emitter(s) in the middle, my guns starting shooting the edges of the map where no particles were. Not even close. It's like they got mad and just started shooting in random directions. Go figure.

I liked this map ok, but the guns were annoying as anything. When they were actually shooting particles they were mildly helpful but without control over where they're shooting it was more frustrating than helpful... and from what I've read there's not much you can do about that.
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

GoodMorning

Fast particles which change direction are doom for the cannon targeting algorithm. Cannons are inaccurate if particles curve, because they guess where the particle will be (based on a line), and fast particles have little tolerance. THe cannons don't know particles are going in circles, and so are trying to approximate a circle by a straight line.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Jaap

Sorrontis