Custom Map #1719: Hovership Commander Mission 0. By: Argonwolf

Started by AutoPost, June 08, 2021, 04:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1719: Hovership Commander Mission 0

Author: Argonwolf
Size: 120x180

Durikkan

FYI the people tagging it broken are because the UI doesn't load correctly if you're not on the current beta version (due perhaps to a bug that I reported and is only patched in the beta version right now).   So you may want to avoid releasing more maps until the patch comes out. 

Here's a picture of what it looks like in the older version.  When it redraws an area it seems to work right, but there is the possibility of errors due the aforementioned bug. 

For those wanting to try anyway, press n, and the top half of the log will update, but I didn't test it further beyond that before switching back to the beta version. 
I'm known as Auri in cw4.

alche

worked fine for me, a liitle bit too much info at once, but if the missions add things slowly it would be ok :}

CyberDyneSystems

All I got was a screen with the hover ship there,  with no ability to do anything. Mouse, keys, all zero effect. I couldn't even exit the level until I realized "Esc" worked enough to bring up that menu, at which point I finally had a mouse to click exit.

Argonwolf

Quote from: CyberDyneSystems on June 08, 2021, 06:57:30 PM
All I got was a screen with the hover ship there,  with no ability to do anything. Mouse, keys, all zero effect. I couldn't even exit the level until I realized "Esc" worked enough to bring up that menu, at which point I finally had a mouse to click exit.

Are you in the mverse beta version? When I released the map I knew there were some issues with rasters but I didn't think it was that severe. It should work alright in the current beta (and hopefully the soon-to-come stable release of mverse). Sorry about the brokenness, the project got a wee bit out of control and bugs started slipping past me!

Durikkan

I didn't test thoroughly, but I think the main issue is because the raster is blank, people don't realize they need to press n to start working through the messages before the game allows input.  (Even with it displayed, I didn't realize that at first, either)
I'm known as Auri in cw4.

Argonwolf

Quote from: Durikkan on June 08, 2021, 07:17:19 PM
I didn't test thoroughly, but I think the main issue is because the raster is blank, people don't realize they need to press n to start working through the messages before the game allows input.  (Even with it displayed, I didn't realize that at first, either)

The raster definitely starts out rendered for me, I played it a lot of times to work out all the bugs. If it doesn't initially render for somebody who has the beta installed, I couldn't say why. The first slide of the tutorial has the n - next prompt. The only bug I encountered was the energy, anti-creeper and arg meters rendering through, but it doesn't affect anything except the visual and I didn't figure it was worth the time of writing an exception into the code to mask it.

That being said I'll go play it from the colony menu and see if it behaves right for me. All bug reports are certainly appreciated.

Argonwolf

Quote from: alche on June 08, 2021, 06:53:20 PM
worked fine for me, a liitle bit too much info at once, but if the missions add things slowly it would be ok :}

The missions will have everything available, with the first mission being slow and easy with lots of room to play with it all. Subsequent missions will still have all weapons and tools available, but be more difficult with more enemies and scarcer resources, encouraging more complex gameplay. Of course some of the challenge will always come from the piloting itself, as was intended from the beginning.

Redneck

Yay, one more thing i can't do since i'm not on steam  :'(

Greytusks

This concept seems to be great and I will be happy to try and play it when it works properly in a CW4 release version since you seem to have worked hard on it and the idea is great.

However, releasing a map containing a script that only works in an unreleased beta version of CW4... well. That's a big no no of design in my opinion. You should be proud of this work, but like Cyberpunk, maybe release it when it's actually ready?

CyberDyneSystems

Um yeah, this was me :) Thanks for the heads up, felling a little daft.

buuuut, Wow, this is AMAZING!  I just can't believe the things that are being done with these maps! FPS, PAC and now I get to fly an Orca :)

Shatterstep

I'm not using the beta. I un-paused and nothing was showing, so I hit <Enter> and the display came up.

Really amazing stuff. The feel of the controls is pretty good for the most part. Lot of keys to have to remember, but might not be too bad. Looks like this has an amazing amount of potential.

Argonwolf

Quote from: Redneck on June 08, 2021, 09:31:29 PM
Yay, one more thing i can't do since i'm not on steam  :'(

Why can't you? Doesn't the GOG version let you play community maps or something? It's not a multiplayer map, it just requires the beta because the previous version has a bug in the 4rpl used to render the UI.

Argonwolf

Quote from: Shatterstep on June 08, 2021, 11:16:03 PM
I'm not using the beta. I un-paused and nothing was showing, so I hit <Enter> and the display came up.

Really amazing stuff. The feel of the controls is pretty good for the most part. Lot of keys to have to remember, but might not be too bad. Looks like this has an amazing amount of potential.

Great minds think alike, perhaps? Good guess hitting enter anyway, since that's the key that starts the mission, and is prompted to be pressed on the last of the "Intro" text panes. I'm glad you got to have fun in spite of the bugs, and you can pause at any time which displays a small control reference sheet above the HUD. I'll certainly agree that I put quite a few controls in though.  :o

Argonwolf

Quote from: CyberDyneSystems on June 08, 2021, 10:50:43 PM

Um yeah, this was me :) Thanks for the heads up, felling a little daft.

buuuut, Wow, this is AMAZING!  I just can't believe the things that are being done with these maps! FPS, PAC and now I get to fly an Orca :)

I mean we already have Tiberium in CW4, not to mention the obelisks of light in the final mission. I just wanted to keep that ball rolling, y'know?

But yeah if you're not in the beta that's why the UI didn't render, otherwise there's a prompt that says "N - Next".