Youtube and it's new content ID changes.

Started by Miksu, December 15, 2013, 06:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miksu

I'm small youtuber who does CW videos and other gameplay/maxed out videos. I have been hit pretty hard with this new system, almost all my videos have been flagged by third party claimer.
More notably CW3 videos ""Halloween Sounds - Fantasy Rising (Horror) [Scary]", sound recording administered by: BFM Digital"

For example: Music on the beginning.

I do not mean that any of you have to do something, there is actually nothing to do, but dispute the claim and try to tell Youtube that I have right to monetize whatever material I post, IF I have permission to do that and the material isn't copyrighted and illegal to post to Youtube.
This goes under fair use as reviews, gameplays, parodies etc.

My idea of this topic was to ask what do you think about this new system and has it affected you?

Clean0nion

Well, I think that the entirety of YouTube is Please use colorful language, not obscene language!

Miksu

Also I want to make clear that I do not care about money, I do not much out of it anyway, but either way the claims can become copyright infringements and 3 of those and your account is gone. It does not matter, if you are monetizing the videos or not. And those who haven't heard about this yet: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/172829-youtubes-contentid-system-guts-game-streaming-pushes-away-loyal-audience

Michionlion

You should be able to dispute it fairly easily, as Virgil owns the rights to ALL music in CW3.  I'm sure you can get written proof or whatever of that.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

knucracker

Oh good grief...
I paid to have custom compositions for all of the music in CW3... with one exception; the ambient background loop for the space views.  For that I used Alien Atmosphere from StockMusic.com:
http://www.stockmusic.com/products/music_tracks_cd/dramatic_atmospheres?snd_id=270063

That is what is triggering the copyright notice.  The easiest way to avoid this is to not include any space scene background music in your videos.  I may make this easier in the upcoming major update by allowing you to toggle a setting that will swap out the music for a different track (another custom piece I have).

Now, BFM Digital is the watchdog group that specifically watches over StockMusic.com music (or so I have been told).  I inquired about all of this some time ago with StockMusic.com and here is the response I got.  I specifically had two claims for two different tracks at the time I inquired.  One of them was BFM Digital and one was another.  See the bottom of this message for their original reply a year ago (which was when I saw the handwriting on the wall).  I have also just sent them another letter of inquiry about this.  If the situation persists, then the watchdog agency they have to protect their music is going to lead to no-one paying to use their music :)

Anyway, I will see what I can do for the upcoming major update of the game.  It's ultimately silly to let one piece of stock music ruin potential game videos when all of the rest of the music is custom.  So I should be able to address matters moving forward for CW3.  But I will also update you with any additional info I get from StockMusic.com...

--
Hi Virgil -

God bless the new music "tracking" devices.

There are several composers who license music to publishers like ourselves on a non-exclusive basis.  That means that the same composition can be registered under different titles.

The good news about 1 of the claims below is that BFM Digital is the "watchdog" that looks out for our music specifically.  If you send me the YouTube link and the email address (or username) that was used to post it, I can call them off very easily.

For the other, if you forward me the email you received from Youtube, I can contact the copyright folks and explain the situation.  As you can imagine, this has happened before (and will likely happen again).

Rest assured that we have all the necessary legal rights an authorizations required to license the music to you - for you to be able to use it in commercial applications.  In these days of rampant online piracy - there are sometimes additional hoops to go through.

We are lobbying Youtube for better ways to deal with situations like this - but in the meantime we are there for you and will follow through on your behalf whenever this happens to you.
--

Kingo

Miksu

Update: If you get claims with mission select music, just dispute it. I put that it falls under fair use, as it does not play usually longer than 10 seconds on my videos.

Even better, like Virgil said, avoid mission selection screen. Or use in-game music from soundtrack and remove the audio track. I believe we can use soundtrack as background music, if we wanted to.
Virgil can confirm this.

Youtube's automatic content ID system just does not know what is parody, fair use etc. so you can safely dispute it.

Edit: Also I would like to add that you have to proof commercial use almost for every video you try to monetize now. Content ID system is totally broken. I wouldn't be surprised, if I do Vlog or something, basically only talking, someone, somewhere has claim for it. :D *Sarcasm*

Either way, these are my advises for anyone who has problems with stuff. Not just with CW3 videos, almost everything goes under this, except for real things (Music, movies...). Even Ubisoft, Capcom and Blizzard are fighting against this system now. People who does videos, gives FREE promotion for big companies and those who makes videos are also enjoying it, like I do. It's win/win situation, no one loses. If you monetize top of that. EVEN Google wins. Youtube gets money, you get money and fun out of it and big game companies gets free promotion.

Also I believe that, if I do videos about CW3, I might get some people interested of the game and they might buy it. Virgil gets some money, we get bigger community and I could not ask less. :)

Note: Excuse my English, it is not my first language.

LittleRedEye

<--- everything you might want to say about new ID system ;p

Ninja

Quote from: Clean0nion on December 15, 2013, 06:08:26 PM
Please use colorful language, not obscene language!
I like how G used colors to say that. :P

Clean0nion

Quote from: Ninja on January 02, 2014, 07:40:04 PM
Quote from: Clean0nion on December 15, 2013, 06:08:26 PM
Please use colorful language, not obscene language!
I like how G used colors to say that. :P
He didn't, I did, to replicate him. I wanted to express myself without gaining Grauniad's displeasure.