Main Menu

forum making

Started by ontheworld, August 08, 2010, 02:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ontheworld

how is this forum made? I want to make my own one.

SPIFFEN

If you scroll to the bottom of the page , you should see an link to it .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Karsten75

Simple Machines Forums. I'm an admin of a few, let me know if you need help.

ontheworld

thanks, i'll go look

EDIT: is it right that i need to make a site in order to get a forum? i really don't understand this all.

yup, i'm kind of a big newb

ontheworld

the more i read out there the more stupid i feel for not getting it... :-[

Karsten75

You need:
1. A domain name that you register with a domain name registrar. This runs you between $12 and $20 a year.

2. a web hosting company. There is a place called nfshost.com that is nearly free.  :)  Otherwise there are a number of  hosting sites. If you have a low-traffic site you can PM me and I"ll send you a link for a $4/month host site.

On this site you need to learn  cpanel to administer your site and forum

Then you download the SMF package, install it on the web site and you are in business.

Then you start a never-ending fight against spambots trying to take over your forum.

Twi

You know, there are programs designed to stop that...
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

Karsten75

Quote from: Twi on August 08, 2010, 04:20:20 PM
You know, there are programs designed to stop that...

Of course. But you still have to install recaptcha  scripts, watch out for the Flash vulnerabilities and stop manual spammers from signing up just to have their links in the member lists. To name just a few problems.

Look in these forums and you will see how many registrations happen just to have link signatures. Zero posts.

ontheworld

hmmm... i guess nothing is free these days.

i'll talk to it with the other people.

about the low traffic site, please give me the link (we are with 10 guys right now and i was the one that had to make a forum).

Karsten75

Quote from: ontheworld on August 08, 2010, 04:37:53 PM
hmmm... i guess nothing is free these days.

i'll talk to it with the other people.

about the low traffic site, please give me the link (we are with 10 guys right now and i was the one that had to make a forum).

Seriously, first try out nfshost.com, if they don't work out of you, then try ieclass.org.

Oftentimes if you register a domain name, the domain name registrar (I like hostgator or godaddy) will also give you a website included in the price of domain name registration). This may also be cheaper than paying for a web host.  Check what you get when you use a specific domain name registrar.

Echo51

If its nothign serious use a free website host, despite the quality they are worth it for hobby grade sites ;)
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

SPIFFEN

Is an homepage enought to use for an forum thing ?

If so , i think most internet providers let you make an homepage on their servers .
( the company that you pay for your internet connection )
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Karsten75

Quote from: SPIFFEN on August 08, 2010, 05:24:04 PM
Is an homepage enought to use for an forum thing ?

If so , i think most internet providers let you make an homepage on their servers .
( the company that you pay for your internet connection )

No, just a homepage is not good enough. You need PHP and SQL - but still, many hosting companies let you have that. Hence I told him to check out what he can get from the hosting company.

ontheworld

okay...

does nfs work with every domain (.nl)?

i have a domain registrator, FTP, and the smf package...

how many coding trouble is the PHP / mySQL?

Karsten75

Quote from: ontheworld on August 09, 2010, 01:40:22 PM
okay...

does nfs work with every domain (.nl)?

Don't know, check the site for restrictions.

i have a domain registrator, FTP, and the smf package...

how many coding trouble is the PHP / mySQL?

You should not need to do much to get SMF up. SMF has all the PHP and MySQL code in the package.