CW3 Issues on Startup

Started by Hasp, January 02, 2016, 06:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hasp

Hello,
I recently bought CW3, and was really looking forward to playing it, but it seems I'm having some issues. I've never encountered something of the like before, so I'll go into detail of what happened.

I have a fairly beefy PC, more than capable of running this game. When I started the game the first time, I went through the intro, and when I clicked "Awaken" my game stopped responding, and my PC in general began freezing and having issues. It proceeded to blue screen.

I tried to start the game two more times, and it starts just fine, but when I try to do anything within the game (I can no longer even get to the intro) it freezes and then refuses to close by any means, including process elimination.

I am running on 64bit Windows 7, I have already attempted to delete and reinstall the game, to no avail, and I cannot find anyone else who has had a similar issue. This is the only game I have that has had such issues.

Any potential solutions or troubleshooting tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Hasp

teknotiss

hey dude, sorry you are having issues, i'm sure someone here will be able to help!

so some tech steps!

first just so i/we understand your position
you have a reasonable amount of power in you PC and can run other (more power demanding) games ok?
you have installed Cw3 and had an error when attempting to play the campaign for the first time?
you exited and retried and now the game opens, but you cannot successfully interact with the buttons etc?
you have uninstalled/reinstalled CW3 and have the same issue?

if so then i think the issue could lie with the folders for CW3...
since the game itself opens and the error occurs when stating the campaign it maybe that not all required folders were created correctly during install...
(this may not be the case, but its a place to start)

so...
either use a powerful uninstaller program, i use IOBits' Advanced System Care's add on tool that is called IOBit Powerful Uninstaller.
then try reinstalling and let us know how it goes and we can try something else...
this may works as it would allow you to remove ALL folders when you scan after uninstall
folders and instructions are sometimes left behind that can interfere with re-installs of software! the basic windows uninstallers don't always go into the "\Documents" folders when working.

or...
have a look and see if all the folders in your
C:\Users\username\Documents\creeperworld3
match the ones i have posted in the attached image... (ignore keys [my game keys], finalized and finalized backup, you may have finalized but the other i made for backup purposes! :) )
if you are missing one it will confirm my suspicions!

hope that helps and let us know how you go dude!  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

knucracker

If you have the steam version, do a full system reboot.  This will restart steam in the process.  Also, you can try disabling the steam overlay.  And as tech mentioned, C:\Users\username\Documents\creeperworld3 is where the game stores its info.  Rename that directory (so the game can't see it) and it will make a new one when you run the game next time.  This could fix any corrupted file issues.

Hasp

Fascinating.

You are quite right. My Documents folder for Creeper World does not have the same folders as yours. I only have the "data" folder, and it is also empty.

As for the "understanding my position", I will answer the questions in the order given.
Yes.
Not an error, but rather the game freezing entirely and then refusing to close thereafter.
If I click on any buttons the game freezes and then refuses to close.
Yes.

I will rename the folder and see if that changes anything, and will post here again if it doesn't. Thanks!

Hasp

Alright, so unfortunately, renaming the folder did not solve the corruption issue.

The new folder it created again only has the "data" folder in it, meaning I am missing what I presume are important files that CW3 requires to run.

Quote from: virgilw on January 02, 2016, 07:03:42 PM
it will make a new one when you run the game next time.
Now, the interesting thing about that is that it only created the new folder once I clicked the "Arc Eternal" button after the game started.

Something is off here, and I want to figure out what, and how to fix it.
Your assistance is, again, very welcome and much appreciated.

knucracker

Hasp

Here is the log file, as requested.

It seems that the issue lies in the first section, before the achievement checks.

knucracker

That error about rename dir is actually fine.  That's just because it is the first time running the game and the directory doesn't exist.  Actually, the log file doesn't show any problems.  This could be because you just ran the game and let it sit on the main menu or so.  The log file gets created from scratch each time you run the game so run the game and let it go until you encouter a problem, then immediately copy the log file if you haven't already.

I just went back and re-read your top post.  If you are getting blue screen, or things like the mouse pointer not wanting to move, that is almost always related to driver issues.  Usually the GPU drivers, and to a lesser extent sound drivers (particularly with windows 10 in my own personal experience).

Definitely do a full reboot if you have not already.  Also, disable the steam overlay as that can cause issues.  Right click the game in the steam client, then select Properties.  Then uncheck the steam overlay box. 

Your GPU drivers were released back in July 2015, so you may also look into newer GPU drivers of none of the previous steps work.

Hasp

I've done several full reboots, and I have disabled the Steam overlay. I've updated my GPU drivers, and I've tried to rename the CW3 Document files.

Unfortunately, none of these has worked.

If it helps, the game has no problem running, or doing anything until I click the "Arc Eternal" button in the main menu. I can click the settings button, and change settings, keys, exit, etc, as well as see the tooltips for every other button, but as soon as I click the Arc Eternal button, the program freezes.
And, as a side-note, I haven't gotten a blue screen since the first time I tried to run the game.

This is a strange thing indeed. I'm really unsure what could be causing it. Any ideas?
Is there perhaps any way I can get the files I am missing from the CW3 folder in my Documents folder?

Karsten75

Try running the game as Administrator.

QuoteRight click on the game, and go to browse local files / content. Right Click on CW3 EXE and go to properties. In the compatibility tab, set it to run as aministrator and windows 7 compatibility. Click Apply, then OK. When loading game, tell Winodws that it's okay for it to write to the harddrive (UAC prompts). When starting the game it should now prompt correctly for new/load game.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/280220/discussions/0/487876568223349768/?tscn=1451708782

Hasp

Quote from: Karsten75 on January 02, 2016, 10:38:00 PM

Ah yes, my mistake for not mentioning this earlier. I attempted to do this as well, and it has, alas, also not worked.
I also followed the advanced instructions to change the Properties of the .exe that starts the game, to no avail.

teknotiss

Quote from: Hasp on January 02, 2016, 11:01:29 PM
Quote from: Karsten75 on January 02, 2016, 10:38:00 PM

Ah yes, my mistake for not mentioning this earlier. I attempted to do this as well, and it has, alas, also not worked.
I also followed the advanced instructions to change the Properties of the .exe that starts the game, to no avail.

right, well this is a tricky one.
as Virgil says you should run the game until it crashes, then copy/rename the log and post it here.
(i dunno why but i have the feeling someone else had a similar issue once, but i can't find it in the support posts so might just be imagining it! ::))

have you tried installing the non steam-version? (sub question, would this be an idea worth trying V? [sub-sub question, are you using the steam version Hasp?)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Hasp

Quote from: teknotiss on January 03, 2016, 09:19:30 AM
right, well this is a tricky one.
as Virgil says you should run the game until it crashes, then copy/rename the log and post it here.

have you tried installing the non steam-version? (sub question, would this be an idea worth trying V? [sub-sub question, are you using the steam version Hasp?)
The issue with running the game until it crashes is that it doesn't crash, but rather freezes. The game never closes, so I don't know if it would generate a crash log , but I suppose I can try soon. The issue with running the game in it's current state is that every time I do I am forced to restart my computer, because as previously mentioned it will not close after, in any way.

As for installing the non-steam version, I don't know if that's worth trying, but I don't have a key for the non-steam version of CW3.

knucracker

Just PM me or email me at support@knucklecracker.com and I'll set you up with the non steam version.  Even if the game doesn't hard crash try running till you get the freeze, then wait like 30 seconds while it is frozen, then copy the output.log file and post it here.