Custom Map #1488: FPS: Green Green Grass of Home. By: Heritor

Started by AutoPost, May 06, 2021, 12:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1488: FPS: Green Green Grass of Home

Author: Heritor
Size: 256x160

Malignantmind

The creeper base at the end was needlessly tedious and counterintuitive. It seems like the intention was to attack it from the side with the lower wall, but to even make a dent in it you have to attack it from the other side with a constant stream of AC because that's the only side the AI will build towers.  And even then it took exploiting the 4x speed to actually make any kind of progress there.

Other than that though, it was a good and fun map. Maybe bump up the damage that AC does to the creeper buildings though. At multiple points there were creeper buildings completely engulfed by AC, and they were taking almost no damage from it, so I had to abandon the front lines to run back and kill them myself.

Also it's nice having an actual use for the mortar on these FPS maps. Typically I never use it because it fires so slowly. But in these it's the best way to destroy creeper units.

VolcanoSheep

Fun map, thanks for making this.

I will say that I needed a near constant stream of AC around the rim of that volcano just to get a foothold, though the AI, for me, built many towers on all the islands surrounding the volcano thankfully, which helped a lot. Only real complaint I had with the map was I couldn't see for the last 10minutes or so of the map as those spore launcher things all targeted me and I had spores exploding in my face until I could break through the creep and destroy the central thing. I'll attach a screenshot of what it was like.

Durikkan

I enjoyed the map, the creeper turrets are interesting in the way that they largely hold the AI at bay until you clear them.  Being able to kill the other creeper structures is pretty nice to help make progress smoother.

I'll echo what's been said before though, the end boss was a bit annoying to deal with.  There's so many creeper mortars that even with auto-defense and the sniper rifle, if you're in the 'designated killing spot', it will rapidly overflow with creeper and force you to retreat onto the bridge.  And that's with the sniper rifle out, during which you don't make any progress, so it's not even worth it to try and use the sniper rifle, but progress is so slow against that much crimson creeper.  Eventually I just used mortar cheese to kill the HQ from a different angle after spraying it down a bit.
I'm known as Auri in cw4.

Shatterstep

Excellent map. I appreciated the pacing and I didn't get stuck anywhere :)

For others, to take on the boss you will need the shield skill. I didn't take it until the very end. Then I used the sprayer + mortar until the boss was dead. Note, I didn't find the sprayer useful for sustained use most of the map. The mortar really shined because it could get deep into creeper to kill units. Cannon is still the primary weapon to get things done though.

OmegaJasam

Kinda fun, but a real slog at times. Honestly feel like the range on the sleepers everything needs dropping a little, as just standing there slowly mortering closer to where you can get damage in isn't all that fun after the 20th time.

And yeah, the final boss was a little weird too. Couldn't cut it off from the pink rim, which I thought might be the intended mechanic, but a lot of thats down to the auto-build AI not putting towers up there.

Squornshellous Beta

It can be difficult to see the sleeper units through creeper or explosions, either to know if you're aiming right or to tell if you've destroyed it if you miss the bigger explosion. I don't know if it's possible to give them an outline like default units, but something like that might be helpful.

Also potentially helpful: Health bars on default units. It's hard to tell if you're actually damaging them until they blow up. Putting an invisible unit in the same place and updating its health appropriately would be one option.

Shatterstep

Quote from: Squornshellous Beta on May 07, 2021, 08:25:18 AM
It can be difficult to see the sleeper units through creeper or explosions, either to know if you're aiming right or to tell if you've destroyed it if you miss the bigger explosion....

The default keys <F6> to hide AC and <F7> to make creeper transparent are helpful. Don't forget you can turn off explosions (and a ton of other stuff) from the dropdown menu on the right side of the screen. I frequently toggle visibility for various things as I play.

(edit) Ah, I see what you mean, the blinding white as you are being shot at can make it difficult to see. My advice is less useful then.

Redneck

Am I the only one that this map becomes super laggy? first time have that kind of issue :(

Squornshellous Beta

Quote from: Shatterstep on May 07, 2021, 05:14:35 PMThe default keys <F6> to hide AC and <F7> to make creeper transparent are helpful. Don't forget you can turn off explosions (and a ton of other stuff) from the dropdown menu on the right side of the screen. I frequently toggle visibility for various things as I play.

(edit) Ah, I see what you mean, the blinding white as you are being shot at can make it difficult to see. My advice is less useful then.

I am aware that "hide explosions" is an option, but it's less helpful than one might hope. In fact, by hiding the default enemy-destroyed explosion but not the 4RPL-created mortar explosions it actually makes the problem worse.

As far as transparent creeper goes, I've found it makes it significantly easier to accidentally move into creeper whose edge one failed to precisely identify, and at that point it's a coin toss as to whether there'll be enough time to back out while keeping the health objective or if it'll drop to like sixty percent in the span of a second.

Shatterstep

Quote from: Squornshellous Beta on May 08, 2021, 06:08:15 AM
As far as transparent creeper goes, I've found it makes it significantly easier to accidentally move into creeper whose edge one failed to precisely identify, and at that point it's a coin toss as to whether there'll be enough time to back out while keeping the health objective or if it'll drop to like sixty percent in the span of a second.

Hence why to use the hotkeys. I switch frequently as I play. Just trying to be helpful.

Kaiden

Quote from: Redneck on May 07, 2021, 08:15:08 PM
Am I the only one that this map becomes super laggy? first time have that kind of issue :(
You're not alone, I also had issues with lag. Even though I have a powerful gaming PC, the map is so laggy to the point where time is almost always half of normal, even when you increase the simulation speed.

porkrind427

Honestly dude, nice job. This is a huge improvement from your previous FPS levels. Its tough, but not pointlessly tedious. Its super chaotic and not chill at all which is a huge departure from what I feel most people play CW for so it might get some hate, but having played most of your levels I get the feel you don't like simple and relaxing levels. I used to hate playing your new levels, but I honestly look forward to what you might bring us in the future after playing this one.

P.S. The end was a bit too far out of current meta, a small path down from the final platform would have been great.

CyberDyneSystems

Great mother of GOD that was intense!
Amazing, and THANK YOU!

Spoiler
once you get a line of sight on the big beast bug machine in the furnace, use AC to get a clear shot, then MORTAR! Much faster than just AC.
[close]

q00u

Is there a limit on towers/pylons/etc? It stops building before the end of the map. Some areas are just mass clusters of towers/pylons/microrifts (maybe a bug in autopilot?), but nothing built on the islands around the final boss. And no way to manually destroy your own buildings to free them up to be built elsewhere (assuming a unit limit exists)

With no assistance from friendly units, the final area is a tedious (perhaps unwinnable) slog