Custom Map #1443: Cursor-08 Combinations. By: TrickyCorp

Started by AutoPost, April 30, 2021, 10:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1443: Cursor-08 Combinations

Author: TrickyCorp
Size: 192x120

matjojo

Interesting idea, the map shape made it fun to play, but the building style really got to me, constantly placing undefended long-range stuff that would inevitably get killed. It was also kinda hard to know where the buildings would actually protect the newly found area and when they would not.

All in all still a fun map. Thanks for making(:

TrickyPlayer

Quote from: matjojo on May 08, 2021, 05:21:05 PM
"the building style really got to me, constantly placing undefended long-range stuff that would inevitably get killed. It was also kinda hard to know where the buildings would actually protect the newly found area and when they would not. "

Huh? I was pretty sure that there was an pattern: tops of hills (especially ones with a totem) get both mortars and cannons. Some of the low  "pools" get mortars and/or cannons around them as if the only threat was the pool. The high areas (18,19,20) all get mortars but no cannons. Cannons are placed all over the place, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. Sprayers are on top of big high areas to keep them covered with anticreeper, and sometimes on other areas as well.

If you can give an example maybe I can learn from it
When you want an explanation for something I use in my levels, or if you want to suggest something, feel free to tell me. Just don't ask/suggest things every other day please :P

matjojo

Now that you say it I notice that that is indeed the pattern haha, it isn't really the pattern I'd go for, but then again I tend to never leave a lot behind haha.

Quote from: TrickyPlayer on May 09, 2021, 01:56:15 AM
The high areas (18,19,20) all get mortars but no cannons.

This especially got me a couple of times.

But don't think that you have to change the way you build them for me, even though it may be surprising when you're something is protected and when it is not, it does add a nice little challenge to the map that you have to look out for.

SteveCarlo

Quote from: TrickyPlayer on May 09, 2021, 01:56:15 AM
Quote from: matjojo on May 08, 2021, 05:21:05 PM
"the building style really got to me, constantly placing undefended long-range stuff that would inevitably get killed. It was also kinda hard to know where the buildings would actually protect the newly found area and when they would not. "

Huh? I was pretty sure that there was an pattern: tops of hills (especially ones with a totem) get both mortars and cannons. Some of the low  "pools" get mortars and/or cannons around them as if the only threat was the pool. The high areas (18,19,20) all get mortars but no cannons. Cannons are placed all over the place, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. Sprayers are on top of big high areas to keep them covered with anticreeper, and sometimes on other areas as well.

If you can give an example maybe I can learn from it

the mortars only/no cannon on some hill tops was a frustration.  the mortars are vulnerable to splashes of creep.  it forces you to take the high ground in areas where you know the AI will build an emitter and stay off the "mortar only" hilltops until the flanks are better protected.