Custom Map #1664: Nexious 19 Disaster. By: Vertu

Started by AutoPost, April 03, 2021, 10:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1664: Nexious 19 Disaster

Author: Vertu
Size: 300x400

Desc:
Some day.. some time... something must and will go wrong. Note: IF this mission is buggy even after my play tests, I am sorry. I ran into some strange phenomenon while making this mission that I BELIEVE have been fixed. -Story driven mission series A bit of dev info: I was always afraid of making maps too large for performance sakes as I had bad experiences involving such in the past, but after Nexious 18 it ran a lot better than I ever thought it could and so, will start making very.. very.. large maps

chwooly

I was down to the final emitter when the game shut down. I would say crashed but the was no error message.

Normally I would restart and play again to finish the map but honestly as this series progress's the maps are getting so overdone that they are not very much fun anymore.

Cheers.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Vertu

Finally some feedback on what is going on with that mission! I will get to it right away because I think I know what was going wrong along with some long term errors with that mission!
Life isn't fair because we say it isn't. Not because it is unfair. In fact, it is so fair we want to say it isn't and do.

Jaap

How are you even supposed to start in this map?
The enemy ships are too powerful to kill and there's red particles everywhere ???

Vertu

Planned fleet formation, get a good formation and it will stand up to the ships, maybe set cannons to Defense to ensure the Mk7's don't destroy your tanking ships but don't be afraid to retreat to the Ticon defenses and shipyard complex, they provide great support so even if you loose the HEX and Hunter, the only ships with 2 shield modules, you aren't screwed, I know this because in the overhauled version I lost the HEX and Hunter at a point but was fine because the 1 shield module ships could tank the occasional Mk7 while having support from the defenses and shipyard complex.

Things should cool down after this as I will say it again, this is emergent difficulty, it is defines by simple factors such as location, past missions, and current events (in lore). There was a large string of heated tension at this mission is the release of the built-up tension.

Try the overhauled version, it should work better as it's both easier (since I removed part of the difficulty early on that not all players might of done, so I had no idea if that skipped difficulty would cause unfair difficulty in the late game, that is fixed in Overhaul, 2nd iteration of this map) and organized (less bland in some indirect cases).

I do not plan these missions out, I go into the editor and go "...... I want them to fight ___, that fight has ____ significance and there for the map should be structured in the same immersive significance." I start with completely nothing but context and simply build off of a single idea. "I want this to be about the small ships, not the large ones", "I want land to be a large factor", ect.
Because of this, feedback is very influencing as I can convert simple feedback easily as my planning of these missions is very abstract so I don't need to change much, if anything, to implement a change unless it ruins the entire style of the mission in the state it was currently in.
Life isn't fair because we say it isn't. Not because it is unfair. In fact, it is so fair we want to say it isn't and do.

Vertu

Quote from: Jaap on April 06, 2021, 01:05:19 PM
How are you even supposed to start in this map?
The enemy ships are too powerful to kill and there's red particles everywhere ???

As for a direct answer, reposition all of your ships to how you would normally prepare against a threatening enemy ship. The furthest up I say is just behind the middle energy mine. By the time your entire fleet is in position at that general location the Titan would be in Fighter range.