Custom Map #68: The Lethe. By: Pusillanimous

Started by AutoPost, October 01, 2016, 01:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #68: The Lethe

Author: Pusillanimous
Size: 256x144

Desc:
The river of memory - or forgetting. Do try not to be forgotten... Note: Like the Styx, the Lethe must be crossed to reach Hades. Did I mention the Berthoid that lives there?

jaworeq

Cool effect with particles going off the map. Took me a while to get a foothold - 18 omnis with cannons sure did help. And as always - triple lathe OP :D

GoodMorning

Yes, the Block was designed for heavy assault. Combined Hammer and Lathe(s).

If you didn't require the mine, you might see particles going past it and off as well.

Did you enjoy the Berthoid?
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

jaworeq

It looks nice, but ultimately falls quite quickly. It didn't prevent me from taking over top right emitter, when I sent 3 blocks there. And then I took it down with double varro.

GoodMorning

Looks like I got the ship balance right then.

Largely it was there to btop the Blocks from rock-burning to isolate the Mirer.

jaworeq

Oh. After I took out [4] mirers, and emitters, my 18 omnis outmired the [40] mirer.

GoodMorning

Odd, I was using 17 and they were losing. Must have misbalanced, but it would make it easier for your Blocks.

GoodMorning

Replayed, noticed that a well-placed Omni could core-destroy (refer to Hexcelle) the Berthoid by firing while the core passed overhead.

sfxtd

Clever idea. My first play tried to brute force a fleet in the face of the incoming stream at the lower-left mine, but while I made progress it was very inefficient. Second try was won pretty effectively with early HQ sniping of key emitters and the use of airborne omnis.

GoodMorning

Johnny Haywire

Awesome map!

Yeah, I did the whole omni-attack thing too. Just built omnis on the other side of the "river" and cut a safe island for me to build and launch from.

After you kill the mire spawners and the particle emitters near the top, you can advance on the Berthoid and take it out just from omni cannons, even without attacking it from within. It was so fun doing it too!  ;D

Hate that ya got such bad ratings... maybe the start was hard for some...? I dunno, I restarted once after I saw how everything flowed (really cool movements btw!) and didn't have any problems after that.

Yet another great job, m8!
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

GoodMorning

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you had a good time.

Looking back, this map was rather clumsily assembled, though I like the concepts. Perhaps I will return to it and apply some scripting.

hbarudi

Played this map, tough at the start where I had to hq fight some emitters to allow myself a proper base, but then later, if the enemy ship center core was off the land, spawning the hq in its center will instantly kill it unlike doppels who take little damage from such a strategy.