Custom Map #10019: 044-Ostwand. By: AlexX

Started by AutoPost, May 05, 2022, 06:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #10019: 044-Ostwand

Author: AlexX
Size: 240x240

Desc:
why r there 8 emitters in the base? where is the bertha?

Loren Pechtel

Found some AC bugs but I see no way to use them.

Helper

That sure looks interesting.
It reminds me of those "Weekend" games that YUM used to do, especially in that it would take all weekend (or more) for me to finish it.
That is some challenge.

Thanks,
H

Martin Gronsdal

someone is pumping out good maps at a scary pace.

rennervate

hm... After playing the map twice, I realize: it's not a good one. I made some design mistakes. Basically, I think the map idea is good and will probably revise it.
-------------------------------------------------------
aka: AlexX

Helper

Quote from: rennervate on May 06, 2022, 06:12:41 AM
hm... After playing the map twice, I realize: it's not a good one. I made some design mistakes. Basically, I think the map idea is good and will probably revise it.

I've made a couple of runs and trying to get a base going and not having much luck.
Have to run out on some errands, but could probably do with a screen grab at the 1:00-2:00 minute mark.

More later,
H

rennervate

SPOILER!

-------

Helper

Well, I'll be darned.
That approach would never had occurred to me...which is probably why I couldn't hold on.

Excellent assist.
Thank you.
H

Loren Pechtel

Completely insane but finally defeated with your hint.

hawgwash

Very challenging map.  I never would have thought to do what Alex did. 
Spoiler
I started the same place (except on the west side, which I don't think matters.  I had to play with the formula numerous times to get it just right.  Basically have one collector ready to build when the CN hits the ground.   Have a canon ready to go, but inactive, in the area with the bug nest.  As soon as the last energy packet for the collector leaves the command node start building the canon.  The objective is you must stop the digitalis before the first bug is born.  Otherwise that bug, and maybe others, will not only attack your canon but also will quickly die in an eruption of creeper which I couldn't overcome.  It was either one or two collectors, one I think.  Whichever, it had to be exactly that number.  And the CN has to be as close as possible to the collector(s) and the canon, to minimize the travel time for the packets.  Otherwise, it doesn't work quickly enough.
[close]

rennervate

Quote from: hawgwash on May 07, 2022, 01:04:03 AM
Very challenging map.  I never would have thought to do what Alex did. 
Spoiler
I started the same place (except on the west side, which I don't think matters.  I had to play with the formula numerous times to get it just right.  Basically have one collector ready to build when the CN hits the ground.   Have a canon ready to go, but inactive, in the area with the bug nest.  As soon as the last energy packet for the collector leaves the command node start building the canon.  The objective is you must stop the digitalis before the first bug is born.  Otherwise that bug, and maybe others, will not only attack your canon but also will quickly die in an eruption of creeper which I couldn't overcome.  It was either one or two collectors, one I think.  Whichever, it had to be exactly that number.  And the CN has to be as close as possible to the collector(s) and the canon, to minimize the travel time for the packets.  Otherwise, it doesn't work quickly enough.
[close]

clever approach - respect!
for my approach, it makes a difference whether you start on the right or left because the map is not exactly mirrored. on the right you have a little more time until you have to build the mortar

Weasee

A very challenging start - I started in a similar position, but to the left of the bugs. Then get a mortar going to keep the creep in check, finally nullify that emitter when the bugs are far up the screen. Very tricky/dense start - I didn't think to use the terps to make a base though!!

rennervate

Quote from: Weasee on May 07, 2022, 06:22:58 AM
I started in a similar position, but to the left of the bugs.

where exactly?

Helper

Interesting factoid:
You have a little over 2 extra seconds before the bugs appear on the left side.
I kept trying to get the Cannon in play on the right side and just couldn't do it.

Still playing with various starts.

Fun map.
Thanks,
H

D0m0nik

I didn't bother with the early cannon trick, just got one in there as soon as possible. I waited until the bugs were a decent distance away though before I broke the digitalis fully.