Custom Map #531: Act 1 - Part 1

Started by AutoPost, December 04, 2011, 03:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #531: Act 1 - Part 1

Author: Enter The Void

Desc:
Show the public how Delta Squad intend to reclaim the galaxy from the creeper.

fitz

I assume I qualify as a speed merchant, but I cannot work out how you beat 20 seconds on this one  :-\

Grauniad

Consider every tiny little activity you might take to speed things. up. :) After all, you are only looking for a second.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

ENTERTHEVOID

Well considering i am the author the best way to do it is to open the pockets of anti-creeper as fast as you can an build the nullifers fast aswell ;D

fitz

Thanks and apologies to those not interested or think I am being pedantic (which I am!) but this is frustrating me. I am missing a trick.
I have:

1) Fully maximised packet speed
2) Deactivated all non essential consumers of energy
3) Moved LC down to minimise packet travelling distance
4) Immediately opened AC boxes
5) created nullifier at earliest opportunity (after about 2 seconds)

Maybe only a second off but that represents 7.3% slower than the top score.
Can someone please help me sleep at night?

mthw2vc

Quote from: fitz on December 05, 2011, 05:16:42 AM
1) Fully maximised packet speed
There's your problem. It's faster to reduce the cost of your nullifiers and settle for only upgrading packet speed 3 times.

fitz

Thank you. I had convinced myself that I had something to learn here and you havee shown this. After all this time I had read 'decrease unit cost by 20%' as referring to beacons only. I guess because it is yellow.

Thanks again
Off for a sleep  ;)

Karsten75

I suppose now I should moan about the .1 second I can't seem to shave off my time. :(  And in trying, I submitted a score and the very nice database system now have me *below* Smileycoder* when I got that score first! :( :(

How can I reduce my time by .1 of a second? The only things that seem material here (all the other things happen too late) is that one has to get the LS down there to reduce packet travel time, and to build the emitters as soon as is possible.

The two options on upgrades to affect this are:
Reduce unit build cost (this is a "must" since that reduce packets by 10). Then

either:

Increase unit move speed and one packet speed upgrade

or

Increase packet speed upgrade three times.

The only place to build (the first place that becomes available is to the extreme left and right of the left and right emitters respectively. Is this maybe the solution - waiting a few frames and one can build closer to the LS and so speed it up?

fitz

Oops. Sorry if I've started something. I can't sleep now, I keep thinking of all those hundreds of maps I've played without decreasing build cost by 20%. Just think of all those faster times  :o

Decrease unit cost and increase packet speed upgrade three times. - Yes

From recollection, having studied this game far too long for my sanity, if you wait a few frames to build the nullifiers closer to the LS it costs you about 0.1 seconds.

Have you turned off all the lights and diggers that cost packets?

ENTERTHEVOID

i have posted 3 more maps on from this i would be really greatful if you played them and tell me where i can improve
also does this mean you all have played my map? ;D :o

DethbyIT

Quote from: ENTERTHEVOID on December 05, 2011, 04:55:07 PM
i have posted 3 more maps on from this i would be really greatful if you played them and tell me where i can improve

You're getting a lot of play on your maps and the Map Mod comments kind of say it all: "More"!

ENTERTHEVOID

Quote from: DethbyIT on December 05, 2011, 07:34:40 PM
Quote from: ENTERTHEVOID on December 05, 2011, 04:55:07 PM

You're getting a lot of play on your maps and the Map Mod comments kind of say it all: "More"!

Cheers i'll keep going