Custom Map #5229: CWDig Introduction. By: cornucanis

Started by AutoPost, January 02, 2018, 08:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #5229: CWDig Introduction

Author: cornucanis
Size: 96x63

Desc:
PLEASE READ THIS DESCRIPTION. This map is VERY heavy on the CRPL. There will be a tutorial to walk you through once you start, but you should know what you're getting into. This is basically a game mode designed to feel like CW2 dig mecahnics. You get no weapons, but you have plenty of anti creep emitters to get the job done. Good luck, and please feel free to tell me what you think on the forums! Too hard? Not explained well enough? Too laggy? Let me know! #CRPL #NoWeapons #CWDig #ACEmitters

cornucanis

9 scripts total, several days in the making... Here it finally is. I wanted to try to recreate the digging style of CW2. I found some interesting possibilities. More AC manipulation fun for people who enjoy that. 

This map is no weapons, AC emitter only. There's no reason I couldn't include weapons in future maps with these scripts though. I would also eventually want to include emitters that aren't "contained" so there's some initial pressure. This map is just a simple proof of concept and test to see how people feel about this sort of gameplay. Let me know what you think!

Also, please ask any questions that need clarification. As the dev I've played this countless times, so I may have forgotten to mention some aspect of the game mode that I take for granted.

Grand Teki

Great map Cornucanis! I liked the style and I'm looking forward to a full map:D
TFW quarantie
I'm @Grand Teki#2977 on Discord.

Behind these googly eyes, lies an introvert.

stdout

Very interesting and unique gameplay! Would love to see another.

Keeper Decagon

I quite enjoyed this one. It's very cool that AC is your one and only weapon, and that it can be as potent here as in CW2 (given the right strategy, of course). I'd love to see more maps with these cool scripts! :)
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

chwooly

Thanks, This is a great concept, nice execution. looking forward to the next map.

Cheers
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

BilboGCL

I'll ask my nephews gardener Sam to lend me his shovel ;)

OK, this was a fun map, great tutorials, nice artwork, well done! I'm looking forward to the next ones, too.

Greetings from The Shire!
Hey, come to the dark side Discord, we have cookies!

cornucanis

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! It sounds like there's definitely enough interest for me to make a few more maps with this template and see how it goes. Hopefully I can prevent the gameplay from getting too stale. I also won't necessarily have the same tech limits on the next map. I'll probably enable collectors and disable relays, with map design being adjusted accordingly. On AC heavy maps like this it's hard to make inaccessible areas when the player has relays available unless you make the map large.  I also want to do tech artifacts, so maybe you start with no weapons but then you push forward a little and kill a few emitters which allows you to build 2 blasters, etc. I should be able to make some mildly varied gameplay this way. Maybe I'll make a map using this in combination with my AC Blast script too  ;D

Quote from: BilboGCL on January 02, 2018, 11:41:39 AM
nice artwork

In the interest of not taking credit for work I didn't do, I should point out that none of the artwork used here was created by me. The character avatar is just a screenshot from an anime I've been using as an avatar for years, and the special terrain texture was a public domain texture I found. I wanted to make sure it was 100% obvious which terrain was the special "impassable" terrain, and the best way to do that was with a texture nobody would recognize.

cornucanis

Oh, here's another interesting tip for anyone who's beaten it and wants to try it with extra stength for kicks

Spoiler
Remember you can load a terp up with ammo and fly it across the map to use the ammo it has saved. This means with a few trips you could technically power up the green tower at the very beginning. Since it powers up all AC emitters it will make getting through the other areas a breeze. You could probably speedrun it pretty quickly using this method if you really wanted to.
[close]

yum-forum

Quote from: chwooly on January 02, 2018, 10:53:28 AM
Thanks, This is a great concept, nice execution. looking forward to the next map.

Cheers

+1 Agree and enjoyed!  :)
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

cornucanis

Quote from: yum-forum on January 07, 2018, 05:34:49 AM
+1 Agree and enjoyed!  :)

Thanks! I'm working on the next one, which features flip emitters and more varied terrain! It should be out in the next few days.

toolforger

Nice concept map.
Flip emitters? Sounds awesome. I can't wait to see what Yum is doing to do with that. Or anybody else with a hand for making challenging-but-possible maps.

yum-forum

Quote from: toolforger on March 17, 2018, 09:21:47 AM
Nice concept map.
Flip emitters? Sounds awesome. I can't wait to see what Yum is doing to do with that....

I enjoyed unical gameplay concept of Cornucanis very much!
If author will permit me to use his concept I can try to create something interesting. I am not familiar with crpl, but using copy of game in editor it is possible to create another map. I only don't know how change intensity of existing emitters.
last

cornucanis

Quote from: toolforger on March 17, 2018, 09:21:47 AM
Nice concept map.
Flip emitters? Sounds awesome. I can't wait to see what Yum is doing to do with that. Or anybody else with a hand for making challenging-but-possible maps.

This map was made a few months ago, I've actually created several more maps using the game mode now if you're interested in trying more. They definitely don't have quite the same feel as yum's maps, though  ;)

Quote from: yum-forum on March 18, 2018, 05:00:30 AM

I enjoyed unical gameplay concept of Cornucanis very much!
If author will permit me to use his concept I can try to create something interesting. I am not familiar with crpl, but using copy of game in editor it is possible to create another map. I only don't know how change intensity of existing emitters.

Yes, my scripts are absolutely free for anyone to use! If you give me a day or two I will try to put together a "template map" similar to the one for PAC (but much simpler) and post it to the CRPL section of the forum.

yum-forum

Thanks for reply!
It will be very nice to get from You "template map" of CSM (Cornucanis Style Map).  :)
Your new concept so interesting for me that I cannot wait for template and made experiment and created map based on Your first map.

Best regards,
yum234
last