What does everyone feel about an energy gate?

Started by zac503, March 02, 2010, 10:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zac503

Often times in this game it's not about what you build but rather when you build it. Since the game is based on chain of supply, something like an energy gate that can be toggled on or off would be kind cool. You could either do this with a new unit or make it a standard option on a collector/relay whether or not to forward packets. Seems like it could help layout a bigger map and make it easy to stop funding unnecessary resources without killing them. Thoughts?

TheBuilder

Interesting, sounds reasonable, don't how hard it would be to implement, but still cool.
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

Karsten75

Gate open:

Gate closed:

Or should it be the other way round? Open gate means circuit is broken, packets don't flow. Closed gate means circuit is complete and packets are flowing.

:P

TheBuilder

When it comes to electricity, open means the connection is broken, closeed means the connection is connected

open should equal no connection

closed should equal connection

They said, "Life."

betadata

I dont see the benefit of cutting collectors or other resource buildings off from the network. We can toggle consumers between active/non active and armed and disarmed. therefor reducing consumption. Yes it may take some clicks to turn off a whole bunch but we do have pause.

TheBuilder

this could be used to deactivate large section of defense/offense with just one click on larger maps

They said, "Life."

zac503

While you could leave a hole in your grid and then fill it. it doesn't work well for disconnecting because you have to destroy one of your units to do so. It would be much more efficient to be able to just tell a collector to stop forwarding. Maybe there could be a hotkey for enabling all gates?

Karsten75

You simply bridge two collectors or relays with a mobile weapons unit. No need to destroy units.  My pictures show this clearly.

DaBloxxer

you can just pause it(next to options), and then desarm or deactivate what you want to
`./'''''''''''''''''''\=====[]
/''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''\
|__________________ \
@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Clippy

Quote from: DaBloxxer on March 02, 2010, 04:25:52 PM
you can just pause it(next to options), and then desarm or deactivate what you want to

that wont break the connection tho.... if its built the packets will still go through

TheBuilder

From what i can tell, his gate would still keep the energy flowing from the collectors and any other bonesses from other buildings, but could be turned to "open" making it so that no packets can pass through.

Am i right?

They said, "Life."

Katra

I think it would be better to just have the option to deactivate (ie stop building) any structure under construction like you can turrets.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!