Main Menu

Floodgates

Started by Cheesecake, March 05, 2010, 07:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheesecake

How about an openable floodgate?

It needs two poles that are exactly aligned diagonally, horizontally, or vertically. They should each cost 50 energy packets. When both are done, there will be a "Build Gate" button on selection that will construct a gate. It will take 10 packets per square of the floodgate. When the floodgate is finished, the creeper can be kept back until it is 1 layer tall (I'm flexible). The gate has an "Open Gate" function when it is done that will open the gate. You will then have a selector, and the game will pause. You click part of the floodgate, and 10 packets from Odin City will go to that square and open it. 10 more packets will be needed to close it, too. Blasters can't fire through floodgate openings, because that would be too abusable. If one of the poles for the floodgate is destroyed, the other will explode, and the floodgate will turn into regular walls.

Doing this would help some people keep the creeper under control for long enough to get a larger military force up to destroy the creeper.

The smoking revolver

that sound cool, but the creeper
should be able to destroy it
There is always a I in team

Karsten75

Quote from: Cheesecake on March 05, 2010, 07:03:41 PM

It needs two poles that are exactly aligned diagonally, horizontally, or vertically.

Did you know that any two points can be aligned "exactly?"  See my sig.

Twi

Hi! I'm a total newb to this forum, but I've beaten the Story. Still working on the rest.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure Cheesecake means like this, if my ASCII comes out right. The Ps are 'poles' and the various lines are the actual gates:

P----P

p
l
l
p

P
        /
      /
    /
  /
p

My diagonal might be a bit bad, but you get the idea. Personally, I would like to be able to connect just any two points with such a device, given that the thing one would block may not be  exactly a horizontal, vertical, or...that kind of diagonal line, but given that the shape of the edge of the Creeper only seems to run straight along the edge or diagonals from corner to corner of a map 'cell', it would most likely make things much simpler to program to do what he said. Speaking of which, perhaps being able to have more than two "poles" would be useful. In that case, if one of the poles was destroyed, any poles not directly connected to others would be destroyed too, and the wall thing would happen.

Werty892, there have been discussion of shields on this forum, which generally require energy to stay active when in contact with Creeper (which I support), although there hasn't been any talk of them placed like this... which, actually, might be good, but it's a different topic. But they should probably have a health bar like military structures.

I think this a pretty good idea. Seems relatively simple to program and not overpowered. Highly situational, but there are certainly times when it would be useful.

Wait... how come this looks like an essay? Is this why people don't use proper grammar sometimes?
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

The smoking revolver

yes, that's why people don't use proper gramer

what i ment was if you build one, it can hold back the creeper forever, which will be cheap and will make the game lose its challenge
There is always a I in team

Twi

Quote from: Cheesecake on March 05, 2010, 07:03:41 PM

It needs two poles that are exactly aligned diagonally, horizontally, or vertically. They should each cost 50 energy packets. When both are done, there will be a "Build Gate" button on selection that will construct a gate. It will take 10 packets per square of the floodgate. When the floodgate is finished, the creeper can be kept back until it is 1 layer tall (I'm flexible). The gate has an "Open Gate" function when it is done that will open the gate. You will then have a selector, and the game will pause. You click part of the floodgate, and 10 packets from Odin City will go to that square and open it. 10 more packets will be needed to close it, too. Blasters can't fire through floodgate openings, because that would be too abusable. If one of the poles for the floodgate is destroyed, the other will explode, and the floodgate will turn into regular walls.

Doing this would help some people keep the creeper under control for long enough to get a larger military force up to destroy the creeper.

See bold text.
I.e, first, it doesn't stop it forever, second, it would be very expensive to just block the entire map.  Also, you can't kill anything with it, either. The challenge isn't supposed to be not losing- that's not much of an achievement, now. The challenge is meant to be winning. At least, that's how I think of it.

Cheesecake

Another use of this is if you want to push forward, FG a small opening, then fall back before you starve your network with your military. Then you could open and close with 1 blaster to control the creeper that comes through AND get a little more space.

Twi

Quote from: Cheesecake on March 11, 2010, 09:15:44 PM
Another use of this is if you want to push forward, FG a small opening, then fall back before you starve your network with your military. Then you could open and close with 1 blaster to control the creeper that comes through AND get a little more space.

But...that's...

That's sweet!