Custom Map #870: Play As Creeper is back!. By: WithersChat

Started by AutoPost, February 25, 2021, 10:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flamewolf393

Quote from: Metatroful on February 26, 2021, 11:24:18 AM
Quote from: flamewolf393 on February 25, 2021, 11:57:05 PM
Its literally impossible. You cant get out of the starting corner cause there are too many defenses.

So If you want to get started the way i got out of the corner was an emitter and a crimson, you must make sure the crimson is on the very corner of the emitter or else its uneffective to get the most crimson creeper

Ive tried that, it didnt help. Ive tried literally every combination of building and none of them can get past the defenses covering that corner.

flamewolf393

Quote from: WithersChat on February 26, 2021, 12:05:21 PM
Ok, so I see that this map may be harder than it feeled when I made it. Coming with a few tips. (More detailed guide coming soon)
But for now...
1) This is NOT CW3, so, don't try to play it like CW3 PAC. Mesh is more of a precision tool than something you want to paint everywhere. It allows to push in the direction you want to.
2) Crimson is strong. Really.
3) Don't underestimate lures. Moreover, you can activate them remotely wih spores and blobs (assuming you manage to land a spore or blob)
4) Blobs go in straight lines. The can be used to destroy ERNed units, if they're not well enough defended with snipers. Gotta aim well tho.
4.5) The same applies with spores. If there aren't enough missiles, you can destroy ERNed units you can't reach with conventional ways.
5) ERN portal and Factory are both prime targets. If you destroy the ERN portal, you get 3 ERNs. If you destroy the factory, all shields, missiles and snipers are down.

None of this helps getting out of the starting corner. Ive tried literally every combination of building and none of it works. Theres just too many defenses there. Two emitters just gets shot up, emitter + crimson still just gets shot up, the sniper and missile launcher prevents anything from the launcher working. The only thing that comes close to working is two launchers, which lets one thing get past, but then you dont have enough creeper left to put an emitter back down.

kishkumen

I finally did it!!  My method was to pair up an emitter and a stash.  I'd put the stash next to the emitter, mesh out where I wanted to go next, then when the stash emptied I'd pause, kill the emitter, then place it where I wanted to go.  Managed to use that method to get past the shields, then worked back and took out the supply line, netting another ERN.  Was a bit of a slog from there, and I had to re-start a couple times, but I was able to finish it!

Kaiden

Its literally impossible. You cant get out of the starting corner cause there are too many defenses.

It's not. How do you think the author beat and uploaded the map?

flamewolf393

So I finally figured it out. Its not about any two buildings, you just cant stay where you start. You have to maneuver around so only one side of the defenses can reach you. Its really really annoying to get started, but finally did it.

Im now about 4 hours into the level and have 2/3 of the map. Its a major moment every time I make a little bit of progress, cause each and every foot of terrain is very hard won.

Fack1015

I got half way through the map. Literally split the map in half. Stuck there.

Hunhow

It's really not a problem to get out of the corner. Like others have said, just use your starting emitter and a crimson in the corner to start, the enemy weapons won't be able to deal with the crimson creeper.

I kind of would like it if there were more opportunities to use Launchers after the first bit. As it is, everything from that big line of cannons down the right center of the map is very thoroughly protected with missiles and snipers that there isn't really a way to deal with, short of destroying or de-supplying the entire area they are in. At which point... well, at that point you've already killed everything that your launchers would have been wanted for anyways.

Maybe if the Factory was placed somewhere that you could actually kill it before you're about to win anyways? Though that would kind of still be an auto-win condition, since after that you could just spam spores at everything and there would be no challenge left. So maybe not that.

Hunhow

Tips for players:
-Mesh will not actually absorb and hold creeper (turn blue and start directing the creeper on top of it) unless it is connected to other blue mesh. Draw lines of mesh from your emitters, not just in the path you want it to go. If it's not connected to an emitter, it's useless.
-Mesh often seems to fail to connect to other mesh diagonally. Make sure you have a good, properly connected line of mesh in place.
-Put down mesh from your emitters into the place you are about to put a stash, and let it turn blue before you actually place the stash. The stash will build up much faster while it is connected to emitters via mesh, and it doesn't count unless the mesh is already there before you place the stash because you can't build mesh under things. Or at least, I assume that's why you can't connect the stash after building it. I could be wrong, which is why I recommend waiting until the mesh turns blue just in case.
-Multiple lines of mesh, partly separated make for a better attack vector than a single line of mesh. One line will focus your attack, but will also draw the fire of all enemy turrets. Two or three will allow you to direct and focus your attack while still splitting enemy fire.

These ended up all being about mesh use to some degree or another, lol.

PaulG

Quote from: Karsten75 on February 26, 2021, 11:51:46 AM
Quote from: PaulG on February 26, 2021, 11:19:38 AM
Does CW4 have to be on a later version for this map to work properly?

I bought it from GOG and it is showing as v 1.0.0

The update to GOG was pushed yesterday. I'm not sure how GOG handles updates, though.

Interesting. I did search their website and it says that updates are handled automatically, but having just tried again mine is still on 1.0.0. I've emailed them

PaulG

Quote from: Qople on February 26, 2021, 11:39:17 AM

You need to be on version 1.3.
Ah! That could explain a lot!

Karsten75

Quote from: PaulG on February 27, 2021, 01:08:35 PM
Quote from: Karsten75 on February 26, 2021, 11:51:46 AM

The update to GOG was pushed yesterday. I'm not sure how GOG handles updates, though.

Interesting. I did search their website and it says that updates are handled automatically, but having just tried again mine is still on 1.0.0. I've emailed them

How it works: If you are on GOG Galaxy, the update is automatic. If you have the installer, then GOG admin have to build a new installer and you have to run it. 

Jican

If you build a crimonsonator and some mesh from the corner to the group of defenses, it is an easy push out of the corner. The rest is a slog though.

mzimmer74

I loved the PAC maps in CW3 and hope you keep making more of these in CW4. This one was pretty tough and I haven't beaten it yet. Perhaps some of the other suggestions might help. Regardless, I really hope more of these continue to come.
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

SteveCarlo

it took awhile  with a couple of retreats/regroupings & head scratchings, but after 16+ hours (at 4x speed) I covered everything.   it was a thrill to break that last connection between the command base and factory.  once that is done, the earn portal gets overwhelmed quickly and that's all she wrote
the key I found was to keep the 2 holes on the SE side full of Creep and have a stash going all the time in one of them (not two, they seem to interfere with each other)
using combos of 3 or 4 launchers helped.  there might be an easier way, but I'm a plodder; it took me 4 skimmers
working together to knock out the shield on the center ridge

Snicker

I thoroughly enjoyed this map and look forward for your next one Withers. As for a hint : Figuring out the mechanics of each tool and pairing them to make effective pushes, that is the name of the game here.  You can attack anywhere with success but some places are just weaker. My personal preference is to make waves with out stashes. I find that stash with mesh dont work very well if they take damage.  GL