Knuckle Cracker wiki

Started by Karsten75, February 25, 2015, 10:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

I've noticed that there is no explicit forum announcement that the (by now) years old Knuckle Cracker wiki exists. Sure, there is a link from the web pages, but who ever visits the web pages, right? :)

To contribute, one has to explicitly log in to the wiki pages using the same credentials as for the forum here. 

Edit (03/18/2015): if you find that you do not have access, please log out and log back in before making a complaint.

Asbestos

The Wiki Rule says that any subject, no matter how narrow, has a wiki to go along with it. Case in point: Cactus Wiki, Proteins Wiki. It should be easy to guess that Knuckle Cracker has one too.

pawel345

Well it even has 2 wikis :D The old one for just CW and CW2 and the new one(official) for all 3 games.

warren

Hmmm... Interesting. Anyone else experiencing technical difficulties with the wiki? Recently, a strange error message has appeared at the top of the screen. In addition, there appears to be no edit button.

pawel345

You can edit only after logging in and having permission to edit. You can get the permission if you as for it on the forums.

Karsten75

Quote from: pawel345 on March 09, 2015, 06:12:16 AM
You can get the permission if you as for it on the forums.

I'll talk to Virgil and see if we can relax the "editor" requirement to all logged-in users.

Quote from: warren on March 09, 2015, 04:11:56 AM
Recently, a strange error message has appeared at the top of the screen. In addition, there appears to be no edit button.

Could you be more precise about the "strange error message"? Copy/paste or screenshot of the exact message will aid us in finding the source and determining the severity and pervasiveness.

Asbestos

Click the pencil on the right side of the screen. If it just says "show source code", try a different page.

warren

No pencils. just magnifying glasses.

Karsten75

Quote from: warren on March 09, 2015, 10:29:09 PM
No pencils. just magnifying glasses.

I've been meaning to ask Virgil to look at the ACL for the forums. In the meantime, tell me if you see it differently now.  You may have to log out and log back in on the wiki pages.

warren

Now there is a pencil instead of a magnifying glass. Interesting.

Karsten75

Notice to all wiki users and contributors. Wiki access permission lists are being reworked. While this process is on-going, your access to certain functions may be different. Please be patient for the rest of the day. If by tomorrow (March 19th) you still don't have the permission you think you should have, let me know by posting here or by sending me a message.

Access to the wiki for editing purposes should now be available to all registered forum members. If you have problems and issues, please let me know.

Also, we've cleaned up some old leftover permissions from before CW3, so if you find your access changed and need it altered, please let me know.

hbarudi

The wiki has been very helpful to me to understand CRPL, but also there is a command that does not have a page.

GoodMorning

A request for a wiki structure change:

Could we change the CRPL namespace to simply RPL? This would allow us create much of the PRPL wiki by reference, without creating what are essentially duplicate pages. Any overlapping pages could gain sections for any PRPL differences, and there should be no real difference for commands which work the same way in both. Commands which exist in only one would still have a dedicated page.

To be clear:
- Namespaces crpl: and prpl: to be merged into rpl:
- Pages which exist in one language otherwise unchanged.
- Pages which are identical in both to change headers, and have links reviewed. Potentially extra examples to be added.
- Pages which are non-identical to become either disambiguation pages (for major discrepancies, such as lists), or common pages with a note about the difference(s).

Possibly the old crpl: pages to become redirects to the new rpl: pages.

Please note that I have never had to manage a DokuWiki installation, and so do not know how trivial or otherwise this would be.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Karsten75

Some of these are probably good ideas. The wiki "under the covers" is essentially a set of flat files in folders depending on the namespaces. Not very complicated, but we'd have to look into a global, bulk-change utility for some of the file internals.  Or people could start some of that disambiguation  stuff.

Once the activity  around the release have died down, We'll have a little more time to take a breath and consider our options with the wiki. I think we both relaize that the wiki (and especially the PRPL part) is needed by map makers. :)

GoodMorning

Agreed, which is why I raised it. It's not urgent, but if (when?) it comes together, it will be useful.

Edit: Having looked at the DokuWiki section on namespaces, it seems that links can be made relative to the namespace.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.