Custom Map Makeover?

Started by Shimizu, February 22, 2012, 04:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shimizu

Just thought I'd throw this out there.

For me the custom map creation process is very much about 'making it pretty'.  The where the creeper goes, and what the creeper does, is usually an afterthought after I figure out what sort of design/theme I am going for. 

That being said I've downloaded a few favorites that I have played through more than once and 're-skinned' them for lack of a better word, i.e. replacing the tiles with custom tiles and making an appropriate background, for my own visual enjoyment.  Is this something that people would be interested in seeing, or would there be outrage and offense at the fact that I've "re-done" a particular map, if all credits for concept were given in description?
Meow?

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Shimizu on February 22, 2012, 04:36:43 PM
Just thought I'd throw this out there.

For me the custom map creation process is very much about 'making it pretty'.  The where the creeper goes, and what the creeper does, is usually an afterthought after I figure out what sort of design/theme I am going for. 

That being said I've downloaded a few favorites that I have played through more than once and 're-skinned' them for lack of a better word, i.e. replacing the tiles with custom tiles and making an appropriate background, for my own visual enjoyment.  Is this something that people would be interested in seeing, or would there be outrage and offense at the fact that I've "re-done" a particular map, if all credits for concept were given in description?
If you message the original author of the map, and gave them credit, I'm sure they wouldn't object. I'm sure lots of authors would like to see their maps with your amazing graphics. (I can't speak for everyone, but I think it'd be awesome)
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Shimizu

I would only consider this on maps where customizations of background & tile are absent of course.

Hmm...so many things to make pretty...
Meow?

TonyP2000

I would totally like to see some of my maps "pretty". You don't even have to PM me, if you see a map you want to redo that mines, go nuts!
Vote Tony!

Fisherck

Of course, even if you do get an author's permission, I don't see any reason to resubmit it just because you changed the tiles of a map. It's exactly the same gameplay as it was :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Fisherck on February 22, 2012, 09:00:30 PM
Of course, even if you do get an author's permission, I don't see any reason to resubmit it just because you changed the tiles of a map. It's exactly the same gameplay as it was :)
Maybe this can be used as the perfect opportunity to see what a map author would have done differntly if they had a second chance to submit a map? This will give the authors the perfect opportunity to try to improve. I know that in every one of my maps, there's at least something I would have done differntly if I could submit it again. New graphics would serve as a perfect motivation to make some new gameplay as well. :P

CobraKill

I think most map makers, including me would say yea, as long as you had their permission. I already use custom tiles in my map and upcoming (maybe) maps. In fact I'm using Fisherck's awesome volcanic tiles (hope you don't mind Fish) But trust me, O think any map mapmaker would be happy to have their maps "made over"
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

Fisherck

Quote from: CobraKill on February 22, 2012, 11:24:26 PM
I think most map makers, including me would say yea, as long as you had their permission. I already use custom tiles in my map and upcoming (maybe) maps. In fact I'm using Fisherck's awesome volcanic tiles (hope you don't mind Fish) But trust me, O think any map mapmaker would be happy to have their maps "made over"

I made those tiles for everyone. I would hate for them to be used only by me. They took to long to make for a 1-time use ;)

Personally, I would not be too happy if someone redid my maps. I aleady put 100 percent into them, and looking back, some of them might be able to be improved, but I believe they are all good enough to stay unique. In all my map making, I have only really ever recycled one idea, and that was my 1st and last CW1 map. :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

CobraKill

Quote from: Fisherck on February 23, 2012, 12:16:19 AM
Quote from: CobraKill on February 22, 2012, 11:24:26 PM

I made those tiles for everyone. I would hate for them to be used only by me. They took to long to make for a 1-time use ;)

Personally, I would not be too happy if someone redid my maps. I aleady put 100 percent into them, and looking back, some of them might be able to be improved, but I believe they are all good enough to stay unique. In all my map making, I have only really ever recycled one idea, and that was my 1st and last CW1 map. :)

I was meaning more along the lines of standard background + tiles...

Note: I'd try to edit the quote but its too hard on a phone.
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

Ebon Heart

I don't see what the harm is. You make maps for the enjoyment of the community. If someone can improve upon your idea do the community can enjoy it more, why not let them? (preferably with your permission) I remember a quote... "you can accomplish anything if you don't care who gets the credit." although this doesn't fully apply here, since you'll get the credit anyways.  From what I heard in chat, you'd be able to publish the map under your own name with thanks to Shimizu for making it look pretty. :P
EDIT: yes, I do realize I just typed a complete circle around myself... I'm going to bed now.

SmileyCoder

There is nothing to prevent you from modifying and resubmitting their maps.

I think it mostly comes down to etiqette. There are alot of different ways to "rip-off" other peoples work, and to be fair in the internet world you have to accept that any and all that you put out, might get copied, twisted, remade, and uncreditet.

If you can't live with that, dont post it on the internet.

Now with the rant over, I personally like the art and time you put into your maps. Art is certainly not my strong side, I focus more on trying to create unique gameplay. Should you wish to modify any of my maps, I would prefer to be part of the process (but as stated in rant above, I cannot demand it).

My minimum suggestion should you choose to modify an existing map would be to include in the opening text some credit to the original map-maker.
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

Shimizu

Ebon Click here, since my email fails.
Meow?