stdout's maps

Started by stdout, September 10, 2014, 10:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stdout

The feature of these berthas is that they increase speed as you increase your network. Thus the challenge continues to accelerate and prevents the game from being too nerfed.

I wanted to do as you suggested but you can't accelerate the ammo increase on a regular unit, actually. The only way would be to reimplement the bertha using a CRPL core and, well, I'm not going to do that. :)

teknotiss

played the previous version (2?) :)
got a 21:01  ;)
fun fun fun! loved it, but the start wasn't really an issue like your previous maps.
I'll play this new version now and see.
my only suggestion was to have a PZ on the south east island near the lower left of that island, but not a PZ beam, maybe under the sprayer?
but I'll see if this maps already got that i guess!
i'll be totally redoing my maps i think.
(I'll use this new code to fix the bertha infinite power, and my layouts are going to change radically.)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

teknotiss

an immediately noticeable issue is the small island with the emitter will be destroyed since the nullifier is across the gap on the larger island.
this is annoying to me cos i can't even try for a spore tower since there is no second emitter to supply the digi.
just thought i'd point it out, going to continue playing now
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

stdout

Great feedback teknotiss, thanks!

My last beta I posted includes two PZs on Duck Asteroid (the southeast island) - one with a beam and the other providing relay service. There is a digitalis trail leading right into it, too, which will be helpful in the end game.

Quote from: teknotiss on October 02, 2014, 02:40:30 PM
an immediately noticeable issue is the small island with the emitter will be destroyed since the nullifier is across the gap on the larger island.
this is annoying to me cos i can't even try for a spore tower since there is no second emitter to supply the digi.
just thought i'd point it out, going to continue playing now

Yes, but this is a feature. :) The idea in my mind was that there would be resources you will not be able to save, no matter what. It's something I introduced in my Storm the Castles map and I liked it. It forces you to make unusual decisions early on. That emitter is doomed for sure, but it is a resource that you can use to assist your game. Chain it to other emitters elsewhere to increase their strength. Once it's nullified then it's use is gone but it leaves behind a PZ to be reclaimed later.

Please do try out my latest beta. Quite a few things were changed and I'd like to know what you think of it now.

teknotiss

isn't that the latest one?
i thought it was....  ???
Quote from: stdout on October 02, 2014, 12:02:08 PM
And look out! I've added a good number of Berthas on PZs!! But you have time to prepare for them since they are under construction when the game begins. Can you take them out in time?

This latest version is getting very close to release quality in my opinion. Please play and give me your feedback.

i dl'd the one from that post, that's the one the screeny is from. sorry my first post may not have been clear. i had played V2 and now v 3
loving it! had a few issues with drawing Digi, when doing a link between land a void i often see a 1 cell gap , when deleting and relaying the D i sometimes get it too. i think it's a game engine artifact, and i guess if i wasn't pushing for efficiency it'd not be an issue, enough C gets the D laid down! ;)
this is basically releasable in my opinion, great map.
i have most of the extra berthas down, all the pz ones but one, and i'm pushing hard for a sub 20 time.
pro going to be sub 20 though ::)
do you want us to post scores? or should we wait in case this goes to CS?

stdout

Thanks for this final feedback, I really appreciate it.

Wait til it gets posted to CS for scores, please. I'm going to upload it shortly. I just need to write a storyline. :)

mzimmer74

Fantastic PAC map!  I loved it!

The only complaint (and it is incredibly small) I have is the win condition. I destroyed all enemies but missed a relay on an island I never bothered with.  It obviously took all of 1 second after I realized what I was missing to take care of it, but I had ignored it because I didn't think a relay would count.  Again, not even a small problem.  Just something that surprised me.
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

stdout

It's up on CS now! Thanks for the beta testing, everyone.

mzimmer74, I know what you mean. This happens to me nearly every time, too. What I end up doing is near the end, I set a few spore towers to go into auto-target mode. That way they just shoot off spores to every object on the map.

Lost in Nowhere

At the end, I just replaced everything (except one emitter) with spore towers and let them massacre everything that was left.
Don't die! :)

teknotiss

got sub 20 WOOOO!!!!  ;)
great map! cheers dude  8)

stdout

Congratulations on your sub 20 score. That's pretty awesome. Did you take the ore factories in the southwest out early? I had fun targeting all my spores at those islands early on to try to starve the other islands of AC resources.

teknotiss

Quote from: stdout on October 02, 2014, 07:02:02 PM
Congratulations on your sub 20 score. That's pretty awesome. Did you take the ore factories in the southwest out early? I had fun targeting all my spores at those islands early on to try to starve the other islands of AC resources.
yes, i went for all the free pz's in the north west using spores (after a bit of frantic consolidating at the start, i kept the west most emitter and the two mid west islands, sacrificing both north emitters as you intended. too much bother to work out how to save them. though someone probably will! ;) ), and that left me with a simple matter to isolate the north from the south and then with a push at the middle CN i was able to cut off and swamp the ore islands. killing those berthas sped up the time i think.
by this point i was wishing i could select all spore towers and target at one spot, or at least group select so it's just a click to target a bunch of them. scrolling and targeting was a bit of a pain ::)
then i could basically just under shoot north east and south east islands beam range and massed C would overwhelm the defences, with some shoving from fields. still want more fields" :), did both at once.
i had about 6 emitters and the rest were spores.
again good job dude.  8)

Grayzzur

Quote from: teknotiss on October 02, 2014, 07:30:23 PM
by this point i was wishing i could select all spore towers and target at one spot, or at least group select so it's just a click to target a bunch of them. scrolling and targeting was a bit of a pain ::)
Select any one spore tower, put the mouse where you want them all to shoot, and press 'T'. It's in the help dialogs.

I wish there were a button to cycle all spore towers to own targets or paused states. Same with emitters, a button to put them all back to default mode, though less useful than the spore towers.

I haven't played the final version yet, but I expect much fun when I do.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Lost in Nowhere

Oh, so that is how you use that... I only tried it without a spore tower selected, and nothing happened, so I assumed that it was broken or something.
Don't die! :)

teknotiss

Quote from: Grayzzur on October 02, 2014, 10:10:48 PM
Select any one spore tower, put the mouse where you want them all to shoot, and press 'T'. It's in the help dialogs.

cheers dude, must have missed that one!  8)