stdout's maps

Started by stdout, September 10, 2014, 10:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stdout

This thread will be for maps in progress.

stdout

I'm currently working on a PlayAsCreeper map that will be a storm the castle play.

I'm attaching my current work in case anyone wants to check it out and give feedback. There are bugs:

1) The spore towers don't always connect properly to the digitalis for some reason. There's an issue in the crpl that I'm working on.

2) For some reason you can't win the map. When all the items are destroyed the game doesn't finish. I haven't looked at why that is.

3) Abraxis isn't building the nullifiers like he is supposed to.

Usually I fix these bugs first but people have told me they want to beta test my maps, so you can at least play it and have some fun and let me know what you think.

Linden

Got it, playing it, loving it! :D Thank you so much for this. :)

Edit: I didn't find it too hard to get up the walls (I had that many emitters at the end that a quarter of the map was covered, so that's probably why! Ha!)
I also found it refreshing to be able to start off more easily too - a change from your and Stewbasic's others. I don't mind either way, personally.

Once you've got your bits and pieces sorted, it'll be even more fun.

RrR

Start was very easy, but not having to defend against nullifiers helped. The NE is very vulnerable to spores - just a couple can completely disable it. SW is also vulnerable to spores, but I left if as a power sink for the SW. NW was tough. Was finished in about ten minutes - much faster than the other creeper comeback games. 

stdout

Thanks for the feedback.

I did some changes this morning and made it QUITE the bear. It's getting more fun. I like RrR's idea of leaving the SW open to starve the base of resources. That kind of thing is what makes these kinds of maps fun. I'll keep working on this.

(And BTW I think I fixed most of the bugs present. I'll post a new beta sometime soon (not today))

stdout

Okay, I have a new beta for you all to check out. I went a little different of a direction and I think the game is a little more challenging.

The start is still too easy but this time I let you start with FIVE emitters spread across the map. You WILL lose at least one of them. Before I finish, I want to make it so that it's probable that the player will lose 2 or maybe 3 emitters before getting a comfortable foothold. That should make it pretty fun.

4 castles and your job is to defeat them all. Have fun and let me know what you think.

Linden

Quote from: stdout on September 13, 2014, 09:53:21 PM
Okay, I have a new beta for you all to check out. I went a little different of a direction and I think the game is a little more challenging.

The start is still too easy but this time I let you start with FIVE emitters spread across the map. You WILL lose at least one of them. Before I finish, I want to make it so that it's probable that the player will lose 2 or maybe 3 emitters before getting a comfortable foothold. That should make it pretty fun.

4 castles and your job is to defeat them all. Have fun and let me know what you think.

It's the first time I've ever been first on the scoreboard (only because nobody else has played it yet, but still. :D)

Anywho, all my (temporary) bragging aside, it's great! I like the idea of several start-off points like that. It's also a toss-up which corner to go for first, because of what's either easier or most strategic.

Good fun, thanks. :)

stdout

Okay, here's what may be my final beta. I'd love to have a few test plays on this map and if it looks good I may make just a couple final little tweaks and upload it to CS tomorrow. Please give it a try and let me know what you think! And if you think I should add anything, let me hear your ideas.

Linden

It's excellent that you have to watch your back or suffer for it. The first time around, I did watch my back and I did it in 16 mins or so. The second time, I thought I had been diligent but ended up with only two PZs (one of which I'd previously taken) and that ended up as a much longer game.

There are no bugs that I could see, and it's definitely challenging if you aren't on the ball, and still challenging to keep on the ball.

Thank you so much for all your hard work. :) Great map!

stdout

Thank you for your feedback! I'm looking forward to playing this through in the morning (yes, I haven't even beat the map yet. Once I get a foothold I quit, since getting the foothold is really the most important part of a map to me, in terms of fun.)

Linden

Ah well, you might be missing a treat then. :D Further into the map, it was cool trying to get over the walls when there were nullifiers behind you taking your emitters away.

RrR

lost one of the initial emitters (I chose to ignore the northern one). Having multiple emitters makes for interesting tactics vs bertha. Weaker players will loose more emitters and then be slower. After putting emitters on all the pz in the valley, the SE hill fell easily - creeper got the eastern shield. SW couldn't defend itself without AC.  NE then NW fell to creeper + synchronised spore waves. Good game.                                       

stdout

Thank you again for the feedback. I made some small adjustments this morning to increase the difficulty yet more and I'm quite satisfied with my map. I just uploaded it to CS! Enjoy the final map.

Zoura3025

Hey Stdout. If you want an idea for a new map, how about a planetary assault where you're in your little loki hive ship, and you have to wipe out a human colony that's trying to attack you? :)
(09:06:07) Zoura3025: But for us diehard fans: "Time is Sanity"

stdout

I'm having trouble visualizing what that kind of battle might be like.