J's maps (Tinyland)

Started by J, November 04, 2013, 09:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

Addition of hashtags to the maps will help... that will happen soon, I hope
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Karsten75

I'm just going to say this. Then I'm going to remove all of your Units maps from my map list.

It is a most frustrating series. I have to guess what will come after what. Load one, then find out I can't do it.. or can I? With most maps, at least I know if there is a score, there is a way to complete it - IN THAT MAP. Not after I played some other map. I've loaded some maps maybe 6 or 7 times, just to decide that maybe if I had another tech I would be able to do this map. But then no, that's not the way. In all, I've maybe loaded 30+ maps to complete only two.

It's like Virgil throwing the Arc Eternal Missions in a list and tells us "go figure it out", except it's probably worse, since Virgil only has 23 maps and in a good number of them the techs are all available already.

J, I usually like your maps and I find that you have a keen sense of map making, but in this series, I think you aimed for making things frustrating more than fun. If so you have succeeded. If I play games, I don't want to sit here and seethe, I want to enjoy things. With this I can't do it.

If there were star ratings for "Most annoying" maps, I would give you 10/10. For fun, not so much.

Clean0nion

Quote from: Karsten75 on January 07, 2014, 12:18:46 PM
I'm just going to say this. Then I'm going to remove all of your Units maps from my map list.

It is a most frustrating series. I have to guess what will come after what. Load one, then find out I can't do it.. or can I? With most maps, at least I know if there is a score, there is a way to complete it - IN THAT MAP. Not after I played some other map. I've loaded some maps maybe 6 or 7 times, just to decide that maybe if I had another tech I would be able to do this map. But then no, that's not the way. In all, I've maybe loaded 30+ maps to complete only two.

It's like Virgil throwing the Arc Eternal Missions in a list and tells us "go figure it out", except it's probably worse, since Virgil only has 23 maps and in a good number of them the techs are all available already.

J, I usually like your maps and I find that you have a keen sense of map making, but in this series, I think you aimed for making things frustrating more than fun. If so you have succeeded. If I play games, I don't want to sit here and seethe, I want to enjoy things. With this I can't do it.

If there were star ratings for "Most annoying" maps, I would give you 10/10. For fun, not so much.
Honestly J, I'm going to have to agree with Karsten on this one, however all of your other CW3 maps have been excellent.
Even so - kudos for working out how to make a map series!
If I were you, I'd combine all the maps into one - although that could take a while...
Spoiler
You'd start with the relay map, and add a script called "map.crpl" or something. When you completed the relay map, the terrain and all enemy units would be removed and then the terrain rebuilt so that it is the next map in the series.
That will take a long time. How long? This spoiler:
Spoiler
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG
[close]
[close]

J

Changing the entire terrain while playing is not an option, takes waaaay toooo looooong. Things I can do is uploading them in a order that is playable, but very hard (so I give the worst option and you can choose the change it into a more preferable order). btw Karsten did you play the maps in CS or did you download them from here (in CS I added a hint for the first four maps). I must agree that the order for the first half was pretty hard to find out. After the completing the first half things get a lot easier (you've seen maps already a few times and less maps to choose from). When I make #UnitSeries2 I'll keep this in mind (fairly easy solution: make sure you don't need the tech of the map before it).

Anyways, thanks for feedback!

Helper

@J -
I kept notes of the sequence if you want them posted in a spoiler.
H

cooky713

J, I would be against you publishing/changing the order of the maps - I went for the Blaster after getting the nullifier - I suspect that was probably incorrect, but I still did it. (And if it was intended then you are an even more devious map maker than I thought), and I got the terp before the Bertha.

If you set out an established order people wouldn't innovate as much when they try and solve the map (in my opinion).

Svear

Quote from: J on November 13, 2013, 01:49:08 AM
Bertha: build up using collectors and build a few mortars and beams. Fill the area with reactors and attack. You'll need about six of each for a stable foothold.
Spoiler
Note that you can take out the spore towers with guppy's.
[close]

I've really been enjoying this series of maps. Now I only have Bertha, Terp and Sniper left.

I can't even get a foothold on Bertha. With enough beams to survive the first round of spores, I get crushed by the creeper spilling over. And with enough mortars to hold it back, I don't have enough beams up to keep one from getting through, then that snowballs down, too. It's so frustrating. Can I get a hint?

teknotiss

Quote from: Svear on February 15, 2014, 04:53:57 AM
Quote from: J on November 13, 2013, 01:49:08 AM
Bertha: build up using collectors and build a few mortars and beams. Fill the area with reactors and attack. You'll need about six of each for a stable foothold.
Spoiler
Note that you can take out the spore towers with guppy's.
[close]

I've really been enjoying this series of maps. Now I only have Bertha, Terp and Sniper left.

I can't even get a foothold on Bertha. With enough beams to survive the first round of spores, I get crushed by the creeper spilling over. And with enough mortars to hold it back, I don't have enough beams up to keep one from getting through, then that snowballs down, too. It's so frustrating. Can I get a hint?

you should be able to grab the bertha tech without finishing the map, just land near it and grab it, then restart the map and, bazinga, you have berthas, that should let you do it, hope that helps  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

J

Quote from: teknotiss on February 15, 2014, 08:30:18 AM
you should be able to grab the bertha tech without finishing the map, just land near it and grab it, then restart the map and, bazinga, you have berthas, that should let you do it, hope that helps  8)
Even if you have the tech collected, you won't be able to use it from the start on the mission with that tech.

Ignore the bertha tech if that makes it easier, you won't need it the first minutes.
Remember to use as much energy as you produce (if you produce more than you can use, build reactors). Directly build collectors (first only one at time, increase as you get more energy), then build four mortars (2 just above and below CN, 2 in the corners). Then build your beams (6, one just above each mortar (including the ones you didn't build yet)).
If you can survive the first spore wave, you can survive them all as they will be spread more and more. Continue to build reactors and mortars until you can advance. And don't forget to build a forge.

teknotiss

Quote from: J on February 15, 2014, 12:21:27 PM
Quote from: teknotiss on February 15, 2014, 08:30:18 AM
Even if you have the tech collected, you won't be able to use it from the start on the mission with that tech.

oh  :o harsh  ::) i haven't tried the bertha map yet, i sort of gave up for the same reason karsten did, just got tired of starting and stopping maps
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Svear

Quote from: J on February 15, 2014, 12:21:27 PM

Ignore the bertha tech if that makes it easier, you won't need it the first minutes.
Remember to use as much energy as you produce (if you produce more than you can use, build reactors). Directly build collectors (first only one at time, increase as you get more energy), then build four mortars (2 just above and below CN, 2 in the corners). Then build your beams (6, one just above each mortar (including the ones you didn't build yet)).
If you can survive the first spore wave, you can survive them all as they will be spread more and more. Continue to build reactors and mortars until you can advance. And don't forget to build a forge.

Thanks for the tip J. It still took a few attempts to sort out the adjustments, but I liked it all the same.
Spoiler
It's amazing how much of a difference 2 fewer mortars and a little position fine tuning made. Also building collectors in the "tide zone" even knowing that they were going to get destroyed when my power usage spiked, helped a lot for getting that foothold.
[close]