J's maps (Tinyland)

Started by J, November 04, 2013, 09:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J

Here I'll post my maps until colonial space is released, or if there are any maps that need more testing, you can find them here too. Also feel free to discuss my alpha maps, any map I made can be discussed here :D

To celebrate CW3 being released exactly one month ago, I'll release 18 new maps today!

Units map pack:
Unlock techs to use in other missions!
Spoiler
18 maps you can play in any order you like, just make sure you have the correct techs from other worlds. Each missions has one tech artifact and one shield key. Finish a world and you can use the tech found there on all other 17 missions! This means you'll have to find out in which order you can play the maps.
I did make a note in which order the maps are meant to be played but I made sure there were other routes too. For example I put totems in maps which are meant to be player before the forge map (and spores before beam map :P (just kidding)). If you've finished them all, please post (in a spoiler!) in which order you played them.
The maps are meant to be moderately challenging, but ofcourse some are a lot harder than others, and sometimes another tech can make it easier. There's one map I didn't have time for to fully test yet but I'm pretty sure it is possible.
If at any time you have more or less techs unlocked than you should, please report.
Extra information due multiple reports: Only the first few maps only require you to collect tech+key. On most maps you need to nullify all emitters ect. to win.
[close]

Progressor:
Fairly easy experimental map, 4 emitters, strenght increases as you destroy another one. For example, after emitting 3 emitters the emitter left produces 10 times as much creeper. And watch out for the other (still rather small) surprises! Still needs update to encourage people to attack emitters fast before maxing out firepower.
Update: Now the emitters also increase in strenght every 10 minutes! Also some mild tech limits which increase when you nullify emitters.

Miniland:
Instead of quadrupling the standard map size I shaved off 44% and created miniland. A small map with 2 strong emitters on it. The map is split by a ridge and a valley but the emitters are on both sides of the map. The bumps in the terrain will slow the creeper a lot but it is also much harder to find a good spot for your units.

Miniland 2:
Same size as Miniland but twice the emitters! It's not easy surviving being surrounded by four emitters. Instead of a screenshot here's a video of the creation of the map. The only difference between the map and the video is some free energy. Here's the video:

Miniland 3:
Low on energy and a lot of creeper. The only thing that might make it easier is that you can choose your starting position. Check attachments for download and screenshot (dune theme). Video:

Miniland 4:
Small map and a lot of creeper coming from above and below! Take a look at the attachments for map download and screenshot (the rock theme).

Tinyland:
Tiny map (only 25% of standard map size), no CRPL and a lot of creeper (not that much, but for a tiny map...). Good luck! (map and screenshot in attachments)
UPDATE: a lot harder now =)

eduran

Where do I need to put the maps in order for them to work? I tried both the finalized maps folder and loading them from the main menu. They don't share techs.

J

Open the .zip (sorry for not uploading all 18 maps one by one, if you need this, just post), extract the folders in your finalized folder. Then you should be able to open them from within the projects sector.

You must win the map before you can use the tech on other worlds.

eduran

I just had to unpause the game for the techs to apply. Feeling a little stupid.

Out of curiosity, what's the CRPL behind the tech sharing?

J

Pretty much the same script for each map =P
The shield keys are the key here. With CRPL you can detect which shield keys have been detected. Then you can set the build limit.
if (<-shieldkey GetArtifactCollected) <-techtype -1 SetBuildLimit endif
Now I think of it, I can make the techs apply immediatly using the :Awake function... (gonna do that for the second series :P)
Fixed grammar

eduran

I see. Are the shield keys ID numbers unique to each map? Can you have several per map with different IDs?

And related to the maps:
Spoiler

Am I supposed to win as soon as I collect both the tech artifact and the key? It worked that way on the relay map, but no such luck with the collector or nullifier.
[close]

J

Quote from: eduran on November 04, 2013, 10:46:41 AM
I see. Are the shield keys ID numbers unique to each map? Can you have several per map with different IDs?
Each shield key has it's own unique ID, however they'll only apply once the map has been completed (so only 1 will also work)
And related to the maps:
Spoiler

Am I supposed to win as soon as I collect both the tech artifact and the key? It worked that way on the relay map, but no such luck with the collector or nullifier.
[close]
Most maps require you to use a nullifier. The maps before the nullifier map (and probably a few after, depends on play order) don't need nullifiers.

pawel345

It's a really cool series^^ My favorite was the pulse cannon and reactor maps I think^^ And I hated the beam map :P

ThirdParty

I beat nine maps before getting tired/frustrated:
Spoiler
1. Won "Relay".
2. Collected the Collector, although the map didn't give me victory.
3. Won "Sprayer".
4. Collected the Guppy, although the map didn't give me victory.
5. Won "Nullifier".
6. Won "Siphon".
7. Won "Ore Mine".
8. Won "Strafer".
9. Won "Pulse Cannon".
10. Went back and won "Collector".

I'm not sure what my next move is.  I tried "Mortar" and "Sniper", but neither seemed winnable without reactors.  I also squinted at "Reactor", but didn't feel like trying it without snipers.  Maybe I'll come back later and give it a go.
[close]

pawel345

Well as I had beaten all the maps while testing them out i can say this:

Spoiler
Mortar is doable without reactors but it's hard and long :P
[close]

TLMike

I. This. I look forward. So forward. Like ancient Greek Oracle level forward.

TLMike

Looking at 3P's spoiler, and experiencing what he said about the Collector map each made me think that it'd be nice to know the victory condition of the map before you start playing. Much in the same way that CW2 was set up. It was nice going into the battle to know that you're meant to take out all the emitters, or collect all the bunkers. Perhaps V can add the same sort of thing to the next build of CW3. Maybe, when the game's paused, a nice indicator under the red pause button in the upper right.

J

Since when is it no longer normal that you have to nullify all emitters? All maps require you to kill all normal emitters. On a few maps I swapped the emitters with crpl towers and deselected counts for victory.
maps that don't require nullifiers
Relay OreMine Sprayer
[close]

asmussen

Quote from: J on November 05, 2013, 11:19:54 AM
Since when is it no longer normal that you have to nullify all emitters? All maps require you to kill all normal emitters. On a few maps I swapped the emitters with crpl towers and deselected counts for victory.
maps that don't require nullifiers
Relay OreMine Sprayer
[close]

Yeah, that's pretty much what I used to check to see if I had to kill them. Mouse over them to see if the display comes up showing the amount and interval, and if it does then you probably have to kill them.
Shawn Asmussen

TLMike

Well, that doesn't really mean anything. There can be a map with a regular emitter, but the victory conditions are changed with CRPL.

But, yes, I get what you mean.