Main Menu

C0

Started by Clean0nion, November 02, 2013, 03:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavemaniac

Quote from: pawel345 on January 27, 2014, 02:33:48 PM
You could build a bunch of sprayers and fly them to CN when they are at 100. So if sprayers are allowed, AC guppies only remove the micromanagement part.

Darn it, that's genius!

Using sprayers as AC guppies. Shame about the micromanagement aspect though.

The AC guppy runs itself.

BTW - I'm in favour of the AC Guppy, but I can see how it will affect some existing maps.

However, we've got so few CS maps so far that will be affected, now is the time to make the change.
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

knucracker

Quote from: Cavemaniac on January 27, 2014, 02:22:46 PM
Quote from: virgilw on January 27, 2014, 10:54:05 AM
Before I add some option to turn off ac guppies in maps, I'd really like to understand how they break any existing or planned map.

The only cases I can think of are maps that remove bombers, or that only allow building of bombers at remove locations, or that disallow bombers but have prebuilt bombers at remote locations.  In the second two cases AC guppies enable those scenarios rather than being a spoiler.

The following expects that Sprayers dispatching excess AC can dispatch directly to a guppy pad without a CN.

Redlemon's Bardel in 'Alpha' is a good example of how the advent of an AC Guppy can dramatically affect gameplay.

It's a map that has severely limited energy production capacity but a near infinite supply of AC thanks to the AC carrying Runners which are fun/easy to snipe - but there's no easy way to get the AC to where it's needed.

I initially played the map with the intention of using Guppies to bring the AC back to base, but discovered when I got there that AC Guppies had been removed at some stage....

Sprayers won't actually dispatch ac to a guppy in ac mode...  I had to try it to get the answer, because I didn't remember :)
A sprayer in collection mode doesn't actually dispatch excess AC... it reconverts the ac into ore and sends that to the CN.  So it is ore packets that come out of a sprayer in collection mode not ac.

So, you can put a guppy pad in _ore_ mode rather than AC mode and the sprayer will dispatch the ore to the guppy pad.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: virgilw on January 27, 2014, 02:48:24 PM
Quote from: Cavemaniac on January 27, 2014, 02:22:46 PM
Quote from: virgilw on January 27, 2014, 10:54:05 AM
Before I add some option to turn off ac guppies in maps, I'd really like to understand how they break any existing or planned map.

The only cases I can think of are maps that remove bombers, or that only allow building of bombers at remove locations, or that disallow bombers but have prebuilt bombers at remote locations.  In the second two cases AC guppies enable those scenarios rather than being a spoiler.

The following expects that Sprayers dispatching excess AC can dispatch directly to a guppy pad without a CN.

Redlemon's Bardel in 'Alpha' is a good example of how the advent of an AC Guppy can dramatically affect gameplay.

It's a map that has severely limited energy production capacity but a near infinite supply of AC thanks to the AC carrying Runners which are fun/easy to snipe - but there's no easy way to get the AC to where it's needed.

I initially played the map with the intention of using Guppies to bring the AC back to base, but discovered when I got there that AC Guppies had been removed at some stage....

Sprayers won't actually dispatch ac to a guppy in ac mode...  I had to try it to get the answer, because I didn't remember :)
A sprayer in collection mode doesn't actually dispatch excess AC... it reconverts the ac into ore and sends that to the CN.  So it is ore packets that come out of a sprayer in collection mode not ac.

So, you can put a guppy pad in _ore_ mode rather than AC mode and the sprayer will dispatch the ore to the guppy pad.

Woah!

Double genius.

Can see I'm gonna have to replay Bardel!

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Clean0nion

Quote from: virgilw on January 27, 2014, 01:37:25 PM
I'll confirm this shortly, but this doesn't appear to be a problem with AC guppies.  Their pads have to be loaded with ammoAC, not ammo.  It will be a problem with ore guppies...
So interestingly, this issue doesn't have anything to do with the introduction of AC guppies.  Technically it also isn't an issue... it's a feature request at this point.  I could have never added AC guppies and you'd have to deal with this problem based on what you are doing in your map.  Forcing ammo into a guppy means you can get free packets or free ore...

But, this scriptvar definitions probably can't hurt.  In the next build you have these script vars.

Guppy Pad
   MODE {"PACKET", "ORE", "AC"}

So something like this (untested... I just typed it in below)

if (GetScriptVar(<-padUID "" "MODE") eq ("PACKET"))
   #Juice the pad
endif

Thank you very much - that's all I really wanted.

Clean0nion

For those who care, Sall's release date has been pushed back. Way back. I'm thinking the map IDs will be something like 231-235 now.
This is because my mild OCD has decided that it would be nice to add a few graphic effects to the maps. And obviously there's nothing I can do to stop it in its rampage.
But I can tell you this: they will be colourfully fancy.

UPDATE: Changed Sall System to Sall. It's a planet now. Not a system of planets. Five maps that take place on one planet - and its asteroid field, of course.

WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN BEFORE SALL'S RELEASE:
- 3 needs to be finished graphically
- 3 needs to be copied into 2
- 2 needs to be finished graphically
- 2 needs to be copied into 5

If you're reading this, hello. You're reading a dead topic.
Thanks for looking at my maps.

You may have noticed that I've promised a load of maps, none of which have been released. That's because I'm a massive procrastinator. Good day!