Main Menu

C0

Started by Clean0nion, November 02, 2013, 03:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clean0nion

Quote from: Cohiba on November 22, 2013, 09:48:14 AM
My biggest complaint about Domorthea is the restriction on the collectors.  It makes it unnecessarily hard and seems like your trying to micro-manage the player.   One thing to make it hard and add penalties for say reactors but quite another to force them to see your walk through to go ok i build collectors here, then destroy them, then build them there.  You also don't give a reason in the Story line as to why your severely limited to the number of collectors.   A initially hard starting will turn off a lot of player, I am impressed and like the map just hate being micro managed.
I understand your concern, but that's the kind of hard Domorthea is. That collector bit in the beginning is only supposed to give the digitalis time to build up. If you don't like it, just export the map to the world editor and change it.
And if you think that's hard, I can assume you haven't beaten the map and seen that last row of asteroids. If you have, forgive my ignorance.
Either way, I'm currently working on two new maps that you might enjoy more: Thuller Oil and Skarsgard World 3. Thuller Oil is a mix of Egos(?):Mistet, Cricket:Arca and Alpha:VirgilW:Chimera; and SW3 is essentially you are the creeper. I think you'll enjoy those more once I perfect and finish them. Neither are island based - not sure about your opinion on that.

Clean0nion

Domorthea - FEATURED Rating: 8/10
Starting difficulty: 9/10 || Overall difficulty: 7/10
There is a default save file for this map that lands you immediately in the penultimate island. Download it separately at http://clean0nion.weebly.com/domorthea.html which is my own trustworthy website. Want pictures? I think you know where to go.
More information
A map that I specifically designed to increase in difficulty the further you progress, rather than make it barely possible to build a starting base then have the rest of the map become easy and tedious. Trust me in this - the first two minutes are possibly the hardest. The map is arranged in a series of five islands with a mystery CRPLcore to the south.
Map screenshot
[close]

Want to know more?
The map is arranged in a series of five islands. The first is grassed and green, the rest are rocky and creeper-covered. An asteroid field, coated in digitalis, connects them. On a larger rock in the asteroid field is an AC emitter. One of the islands resembles Ticon technology. Near this structure is a red device - a regional scanner - that has been dominated by the creeper. It releases spores that are equal to the number of reactors you have, squared.

If you desperately need a walkthrough, open this spoiler.
Spoiler
Place your CN on the green island and place a collector to get the message. Then move your CN to where the message was. Destroy the collector and build up to the relay tech. Destroy a collector or two and rebuild them on the big island. Build pulse cannons, one at a time, until you have four at the front of the digitalis on the right. Move the rest of the collectors up to the main island as well.

Next, build a string of relays down to the small island covered in AC. Build a Sprayer, disarm it, and enable AC collection and Dispatch. Build another Sprayer near the digitalis to limit its growth. This will also give the blasters less to fire at, reducing your energy output.

Now I'd recommend connecting to the two Totems and building a forge. Don't forget to destroy the emitter.
Spoiler
Or not! It might be more useful later in an un-nullified condition.
[close]

Once that's done, start building Beamers on all three conquered islands. You'll be able to fit three on the AC island, two on the smaller island, and put 10 on the large island. You'll be able to fit 2 more on the asteroids. Then, build a reactor. Up to three, if you feel capable - one must be on the power zone.

Second island:
Spoiler
This is difficult. You'll have to build a squadron of blasters then send them all over to the island. Make sure you add is some AC and connect a relay once you have a stable grasp. Add some beamers now.

To get the terraformer, put a blaster targeting digitalis on the larger asteroid above it. This will make a hole in the digitalis. The MOMENT it runs out of ammo, move it away or destroy it, and put a relay in its place. It will build and collect the terraformer for you. If it doesn't, try again. You won't need to reclaim those two asteroids. Use the terraformer and mortars to clear a path to the emitter. Take it out and build a reactor in its place, ensuring you still have no more than three reactors in total. You may wish to move your command node here as well.

You'll have noticed the three tech artifacts to the south. Build two digitalis-targeting blasters and put one on the asteroid with the tech... abrupt ending! More soon!

Third island:
Spoiler
Access this island the same way as the previous, by moving lots of weapons at the same time. Nullify the AE and the emitter at the same time, as soon as you can. The rest of the island should be relatively easy, if you use those first two power zones efficiently. Remember: mortars are useful.

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
omg dude why is this featured ahh omg virgil is so biased
Out of all the maps I have published to the forum, Domorthea is my favourite. It is also the most developed (if not the most CRPLinfested). Therefore, I have featured it in this forum post. Neither Virgil nor Grauniad or any other CW3 authority issued this Featured title. It is not official, it is a statement of my own opinion.
[close]

Clean0nion

Skarsgard World coming soon!

Clean0nion

3. Flash - Rating: 3/10
Spoiler
A simple map to test proportionality. Be frugal with collectors as you easily beat this crudely made map. Here, have a light-hearted and innocent review from Ceraus.
Spoiler
Quote from: Ceraus on November 17, 2013, 04:23:09 AM
Quote from: Clean0nion on November 02, 2013, 03:28:45 PMA simple map to test proportionality. Be frugal with collectors as you easily beat this crudely made map.

I very strongly disagree with the "easily beat" part.

Regardless of the "telemitter" strength, you need a ridiculous amount of Mortars to overcome a 1000-1 (changed to 650-1.5) emitter with no Berthas and no Forge. 20, at the very least, but probably more. And you'll need Shields, let's say 5, to hold the Creeper back so that the Mortars stay alive and do maximum damage. Right there, you need 30 Energy production. That's 75 Reactors. Now, how many buildings can you cluster around a Command Node? 60, maybe? Then you'll need Collectors (not the 20,000-cost Relays) just to connect enough Reactors. But to protect those Collectors and Reactors against the 1000-1 emitter, you'll need more Shields and Mortars.

So far, so plausible, though.

But then there's the "telemitter". It just happens to ignore Shields. So all throughout the mission, you periodically hear a BOOM that tells you you just lost a few Reactors. You immediately rebuild them, of course. From time to time, the telemitter will hit one of your Shields, which will gleefully disperse the Creeper around itself, exploding a dozen Reactors.

But that's only if you're lucky.

With no Forge and Relays, packet and build speeds are dreadfully low, so if one of your few, critical Collectors is hit by the telemitter, which will absolutely happen, you're either disconnected from your Reactor farm (and its Shields) or from your attack force. They'll just die before the next Collector is online. And forget about building redundancy into your network: you'll have solved the disconnect issue, yes, but you'll have made the telemitter so strong that Reactors will randomly die too fast for you to rebuild. Instead, the strategy will be to be prescient, by which I mean you'll save every minute and only build redundantly when you re-load a save and know in advance where your network will fail.

And that's what I did for almost 1 hour in-game, 3 hours real-time. I was very slowly making progress and had about 150 Reactors backing a long, crooked line of alternating Collectors and Shields lined with as many Reactors as would fit, peppered with Blasters, Mortars and Sprayers, and which led to a massive amount of Mortars about 3 Nullifer-range from the emitter. But in less than one minute, I was very badly hit by the telemitter and while I could survive, but not effortlessly, it would take too much time to recover for my patience. I hadn't been enjoying the mission for a while.

So I walked away. I wonder how many people saw the mission through?

Now, I sincerely hope there's a trick I'm missing, something I could learn about the game. But there's something definite about a 1000-1 emitter.
[close]
Or just some info about the map itself.
Spoiler
There's a telemitter that whizzes round the map dumping creeper where it hits at random locations. It's dumping frequency is determined by 50 divided by the number of collectors you have. So if you have one collector, it's about once every two seconds. If you have two collectors, it happens more than once a second. Three collectors and it's doing it twice a second. Then there's a 650:45 Warp Inhibitor in your way. And relays cost 20k. And shields don't fully protect you from the telemitter.

Have fun.

[close]
[close]

Clean0nion

Two Minutes!
A RIDICULOUSLY BAD AND EASY map of efficiency and timing. Inspired by ThirdParty's Racquet.
Spoiler
Two maps, both 20x20. One is easy, the other is hard. All you have to do is win. The twist is that you only have two minutes.
Easy mode!
[close]
Harder mode!
[close]
Download TwoMinutesEasy.cw3 for the easy mode, and download TwoMinutesHard.cw3 for hard mode. Have fun!
[close]

Altren

Um, I think you should try harder. I won both maps with first try without doing anything special or even pausing. :(
May be I did it not the way they are supposed to be win, not sure.
Spoiler
Build Canon -> Build Nullifier -> Win. Nothing else at all.
[close]

Clean0nion

TWO MINUTES
Quote from: Altren on December 02, 2013, 06:20:18 PM
Um, I think you should try harder. I won both maps with first try without doing anything special or even pausing. :(
May be I did it not the way they are supposed to be win, not sure.
Spoiler
Build Canon -> Build Nullifier -> Win. Nothing else at all.
[close]
Did you notice how one was called TwoMinutesHarder and not TwoMinutesHardest?

Altren

Sorry, if I said it too roughly. Title says "NEW: Two Minutes! Easy mode and hard mode!" and you said "harder", but for me second map was same in my actions as easy one (the only slightly difference is that I used another place for one tower). I expected, that it is different.

Clean0nion

2. Skarsgard World 3 - CRPL-infested role reversal!
More information

You are the creeper, and the creeper is you.
You're a little light on information there, Clean0nion...

The Loki have taken control of a Command Node that you, Skarsgard Abraxis, lost in a previous battle with the Creeper. They have dominated it. They have overrun it. Most importantly... they have been influenced by it.
The Loki built a Creeper Core and placed it within the Node. With the added human information, the Creeper Core challenged the Loki and after only a few days of of fruitless dispute, it disconnected itself from the Loki Hive.
It became more human. It inherited human qualities. It learnt about you. It learnt about how you work. Then one day - today - it found you.
Using the traditional creeper-fuelled Warp Inhibitor technology it trapped you on a small planet in the Costerellar star system, where it began to experiment with you. It found that the two Command Nodes - the one that belonged to itself and the one that belonged to you - could control each other, after all, they were once both connected to the same ship. Of course, it immediately disabled the control function of your Node, then disabled most of your networking capabilities and weapons. It allowed you the use of anticreeper - and it gave itself full networking capability.
Then it began the attacks.
Human versus Creeper. Or is it Creeper versus Human?

What does the Creeper actually do?

Builds a network
The Creeper Core uses digitalis to construct throughout the map a network of units. This means that it builds far faster than you do, but you know where it is going to build next. Oh, and by the way, you get a rather special unit as well.
Is this random and unpredictable and other such entropic adjectives?

No, it's all pre-made and the unit locations are pre-chosen. You even get a moment to see where everything is at the beginning of the game. No surprises.
However - that's only the case for Skarsgard World 1.
[close]

Creeper Core
The enemy network is powered by the Creeper Core, hidden away inside the enemy Node. It's the only nullifiable object on the entire map. Destroy it, the entire network fails, and you win.
Scripts associated: net_start.crpl

Collectors
The enemy network frequently places collectors to give it energy. Each collector provides 1 unit of energy to the Creeper Node and this number affects the power of the network's other units.
Scripts associated: net_collector.crpl

Emitters
The enemy network places emitters. This is a replacement for the pulse cannons and mortars, and these emitter do exactly what they are expected to do.
Scripts associated: net_emitter.crpl

Repellors
The enemy network places repellors. These are like the shields that you have, except they only have an effect on anticreeper.
Scripts associated: net_repellor.crpl

Nests
The enemy network places runner nests. They also do exactly what they are expected to do.
Scripts associated: net_nest.crpl

Terps
The enemy network places terrapods. These don't really do much, except disable your weapons. They build walls around blasters and sprayers.
Scripts associated: net_terp.crpl , net_terp_edit.crpl

Strafers (discontinued - strafer pad is visible on loadup, just disconnected from the digitalis)
The enemy network places strafers. They take a little time to build then strafe across your network, bombing it, and the only way to kill them is by the use of snipers.
Scripts associated: net_strafer_pad.crpl , net_strafer_fly.crpl , net_strafer_produce.crpl

Corrupt Beams (removed but the code is still in there)
The enemy network places corrupt beam towers. These shoot down airborne units and units on terrain higher than they are. Mouse over them in a non-paused game to check their radius. These towers were made entirely by ThirdParty and deserve no credit from me.
Scripts associated: net_3PCorruptedBeamTower.crpl

All towers cannot be destroyed by nullifiers with the exception of the Creeper Node. All units are fully customisable and can be used in your own maps! Head to http://www.clean0nion.weebly.com/skarsgard-world-3 to download all of the images used in this map so you can use them too, then copy the scripts across from my map, change the variables, build your own digitalis network, and you're good to go!
Surely I get something cool too?

Yes, you do. You get an ore refinery. Build an ore mine and get the chance to upgrade it into an ore refinery. This produces AC instead of ore, and you can pump it up with ammo by clicking it to overcharge it and make it produce more.
[close]

How does this work? It sounds good!

No, it sounds excellent.
How does this work? It sounds excellent!

It's really quite simple. Each unit is constructed at the beginning of the game, and then it disappears. The Creeper Core lands on a network of digitalis growth and places a cell of digitalis where it lands. The digitalis spreads. When one of the units detects that it's on a cell of digitalis, it reappears and does whatever it's coded to do. And when all of the collectors are on digitalis, you fail the mission.
[close]
[close]
[close]

Credits

Many thanks to ThirdParty for:
* Collector-digitalis idea from his map Khyber
* Corrupted beam towers from his map Beqaa
Download ThirdParty's maps at http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14455.0

* I also stole a few tads of script from VirgilW's Farbor
* I may have used some CRPL too... I have reason to believe Virgil made that as well
* Oh yeah,  made this map in CW3 for CW3... that has something to do with Virgil as well I think

* Many thanks to Grayzzur for helping me with the strafer script and teaching me how to Trace
[close]
[close]
[close]

Download the game and see the screenshots here.
Downloads
Screenshot
Preliminary 2-frame long preview
[close]
A little while into the map
[close]
Woops, looks like I used the wrong tactic
[close]
[close]
Head on down to http://www.clean0nion.weebly.com/skarsgard-world.html or the bottom of this post for a link to SkarsgardWorld.cw3 .

WARNING: The game does not finish by itself! This is due to an unknown error. Record the time that you nullified the Core (the game should pause at that point) and that is your time. I think I can trust you to be honest about your time.

Things that could be fixed or added:
- Strafer currently moves to a target then stops
- Beams could be added
[close]

Annonymus

Skarsgardworld is impossible to win, after I destroyed the enemy the text popped up but after I read through it the game continued as if there was still a building to be destroyed.
If a topic started by me is in the wrong place feel free to move it at anytime.

Clean0nion

SW1
Quote from: Annonymus on December 08, 2013, 08:30:36 AM
Skarsgardworld is impossible to win, after I destroyed the enemy the text popped up but after I read through it the game continued as if there was still a building to be destroyed.
The same happened for me. As Colonial Space isn't yet available this counts as a win. If you know the time that you finished, that is your finishing time.
I'm unable to work out why the winning doesn't happen. Upon the destruction of the core the command DestroyAllEnemyUnits is pushed but that still doesn't work.
Congratulations on beating the map, anyway.

UPDATE: Problem diagnosed. Every single unit, with the exception of the Core, does not destroy. I'm about to add something rather different that will completely change the endgame.

Annonymus

If a topic started by me is in the wrong place feel free to move it at anytime.

Clean0nion

SW1
Quote from: Annonymus on December 08, 2013, 10:05:07 AM
Maybe destroyallenemyunits  doesn't work on CRPL cores?
Possibly. I'm soon to push an update, once I've coded it (and that shouldn't take long) that will add a big twist to the game and will make it possible to win.
UPDATE: No, I can't fix this. This is too messed up. Suffice it to say that the save I have on my computer is now unusable. Save is attached for those who want to play a map that lasts five seconds.

Lost in Nowhere

You could just have all cores except the control one set CONST_COUNTSFORVICTORY to false in their scripts.
Don't die! :)

Clean0nion

SW1
Quote from: Lost in Nowhere on December 08, 2013, 11:01:50 AM
You could just have all cores except the control one set CONST_COUNTSFORVICTORY to false in their scripts.
Already done.